Thursday, January 3, 2013

Fun With Scratchy Records



I'm going to give you a glimpse into my old time records that I used to play a lot as a youngster. As you can tell this record got plenty of play on my stereo to the point that the grooves are just about shaved off.  This is Ray Charles-The Train (ABC Paramount 45-10808) B side to Let's Go Get Stoned.  My parents bought me and my baby brother a VF Phonograph Record Player and it was a very cheap model.   The Train I loved a lot and couldn't a find another copy to save my soul so eventually I waited till Concord Records issued The Complete ABC Singles Of Ray Charles.  I had other Ray Charles 45s, The Cincinnati Kid, Here We Go Again and Smack Dab In The Middle all look the same way as well. This record came from the old Wells Store in Waterloo (or maybe it was Arlan's).  In the Record Grade guide this would be graded Poor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUAjSB0q7zg

Next up, is another 45 that we got at the old Waterloo Goodwill Store back in the 1960s.  You'll never guess what this one is.

What the Hell is this one you ask?  This is a copy of the Cabin Crew's  She Ain't A Yacht (Dimension 1031). Looks like this record got left off in the middle of the highway eh?  I was five years old when we had this record.  This record must be rare as hen's teeth since I have yet to find a more suitable copy of this wonderful song. that nobody knows about.  They sounded a bit like the Beach Boys. http://www.myfreemp3.eu/music/Cabin+Crew+-+She+Ain%27t+A+Yacht

The B Side is Lover's Cove and it sounds a bit like Surfer Girl, and it has more grooves on that side which meant that I didn't like it as much as She Ain't A Yacht.  This single was a promo aka Advance Copy.  Nevertheless, this is what I call a reference copy, which means it's not playable...unless you want to go buy a new needle afterwards.



I was kinda hoping somebody out there in internet land would have a better copy of Dimension 1031 but alas this is the only sole copy out on the net.  In other words kiddies make sure you take good care of your records cuz you may never find another copy of the record ever again. http://www.globaldogproductions.info/d/dimension.html

Further discoveries found that you can hear She Ain't A Yacht from a working podcast of a couple years ago, just fast forward to the right spot but they have plenty of cool tunes as well http://wfmu.org/playlists/shows/39350

Somebody actually has a better looking copy of Dimension 1031: http://www.45cat.com/record/d1031us 

Further research that Ron Dante was part of this band.  Also, this band may have recorded under The Detergents name for Roulette at that same time.  

No comments: