Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Top Ten Of The Week-It's All Country

 Taking this Top Ten Of The Week off.  This week's guest is the Brat as we attempt to do an all country top ten for a change of pace.

1. Wichita Lineman by Dwight Yoakam - I'm not really fond of Glen Campbell. Don't mind I'm a Rhinestone Cowboy by Glen. Otherwise, I like Dwight's version.

2. Why Me Lord by Kris Kristofferson - Not much of a fan of Kris' music, but I do love this song and love him in movies.

3. The Boys Are Back by The Oak Ridge Boys - A four part harmony off one of their last CD's. My Mom saw them in concert, to which they opened with this song. My Mom said that Shooter Jennings wrote this song. I've been listening to The Oaks since 1981 when their tape Fancy Free came out. Poor cassette, I wore it out, replaced it with a CD.

4. I Believe In Love by Don Williams - I'm starting to think the whole world needs to listen to this with all the shootings and abuse of people and animals that seems to go on.

5. Lost In The 50's Tonight by Ronnie Milsap - I happen to love not only Classic Country, but the Oldies as well. So this is a 2 for 1 special.

6. Thank God For The Radio by The Kendalls - A father / daughter duo. I agree with this song, this is how I learn what's going on in the music world.

7. Hillbilly Bone by Blake Shelton / Trace Adkins - Kinda funny how they pick on folks who don't listen to country.

8. Man In Black by Johnny Cash - I once got asked growing up if I was trying to be like Johnny Cash always wearing black. Well, I still love wearing black 20 years ago or so, so guess you coulds say I guess so!

9. Country Roads by John Denver - My Grandpa, a man who doesn't care for country music much, always said John and my Uncle Doug look alike.

10. American Soldier & Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue by Toby Keith / Born Free by Kid Rock / American Boy by Eddie Rabbit - All of these songs are a tribute to the Men and Women in the Military who are at homes with their families. And those who are across seas who can't be with us. As they say in Military talk: Hooorah!

Bonus songs:

Cattle Call by Eddy Arnold
Luckenbach Texas by Waylon Jennings
Crying by Roy Orbison and K.D. Lang
Common Man by John Conlee
Hillbilly Rock by Marty Stuart
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights by Freddy Fender

If you ever go to Nashville, Tennessee, do the General Jackson lunch or dinner cruise. There's some live performances done. There's a guy by the name of Roger Francis who is blind who does impressions of country singers, and does a good job.

Crabby Add Ons:

Monday while discussing the all country top ten, I tossed a few ideas at The Brat and artists and this what she came up with.  There was some oddball songs that I came across that may have fit this ten of the week.

Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way-1998  Leftover Salmon with Waylon Jennings from their Nashville Sessions CD that came out on the Disney owned Hollywood label.  Leftover Salmon is considered a jam band and I came across this cd at the pawnshop and played it once and filed it away but a second listen revealed that they had plenty of guest stars and Waylon was one of them.  This is more of a bluegrass type of number.

Chattahoocie-Alan Jackson 1992  From 16 Greatest Hits:  I'm wasn't a big AJ fan then but I'm moreorless enjoying his music now since New Country is all about Trucks and Babes Shaking it or Boom Boom Speakers  20 years ago this was new country and I think KHAcK plays it from time to time, I know the Dyserville station plays it.  Jackson's latest got nil play but it remains more real country than anything Dustin Lynch or pontoon head Brantley Gilbert has on the radio.

And finally The Weight by Marty Stuart and the Staple Singers which was featured on a Stuart comp of duets Compardres which was the final Universal South album that came out in 2007 and found at Pawn America last year.  The amazing fact reveals that Marty Stuart is the true keeper of real country music and has been trying to preserve it as best as he can but he is a lover a all types of music. Kinda like Ricky Skaggs.  The CD even goes way back when a teenaged Stuart was playing wild mandolin on a live Lester Flatt show and then his greatest country moments was when he was with MCA in the early 90s but later concept albums fell out of favor even though he made a one off classic for Sony Music in 2003 and then Soul's Chapel for Universal South a few years later.  A true country visionary, that's Marty.

As always thanks be to The Brat for this top ten.

Link of the day, how much music is enough?  http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/11/21/165567394/we-get-mail-how-much-music-is-too-much-music?sc=tw&cc=twmp

No comments: