Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Happy Birthday Jenna B

Jenna turned the big 28 on Monday, which means she's still two decades behind me.  She works in our Inserting department, gets to hear me call her bad names when we play Uno, and likes to go partying after work.  Hope this doesn't sound like one of those cheesy Match.Com single ads but she's a sweetheart.  I'm too old and not her type.  But we still like her. Happy Birthday Jenna.

I've been stuck with the damn flu this weekend so if I seem a bit out of it you can blame the drugs and the lack of food.  If there's anything good bout this is that we do lose weight. 

The Songs Of The Week.

1.  Quarter To Three-Gary U.S. Bonds 1961  One of those Outer Space recordings, it sounded like it was from outer space, this song gave Gary his first number one hit and gave us Gene "Daddy-G" Barge on saxophone to which I'm sure Clarence Clemons learned a thing or two from him.  The CD that I bought that has this actually has Gary Bond's autograph. But whoever had this cd didn't think it was worth keeping.  CD Crabby, Home of the discarded CDs of yesterday.

2.  You May See Me Walkin-Ricky Skaggs 1981  The first top ten country single from Mr. Skaggs.  And for the first five years being on Epic Records, Skaggs was no stranger to the top ten country songs of the week.  Sony Music doesn't care much for Ricky anymore, so most of his albums are now in cut out bins, but a UK label Gottdiscs issued Skaggs' first two Epic albums, to which they sure will be collector's items.  Gottdiscs closed up shop last year. Their loss, our gain.

3.  Power Of Love-King's X 1988  They have been around putting out albums non stop for over twenty years and most if not all of their albums have been keepers with perhaps the exception of the Please Come Home Mr. Balbous album that never did much for me.  Their first album is a bit rough around the edges but they do have this nice little number you can sing along.  Then again, you might you have other things to do than listen to good music.

4.  Tears Of The World-Uriah Heep 2008  Dinosaur band alert.  Yes the Heep is still around and they made this album that Universal did put out (why?  I donno, perhaps as another tax write off?) and actually this version of Heep has been around for almost twenty years with the exception of the drummer who got replaced.  I'm surprised that Best Buy even had a copy of this album.

5.  Keep Me In Your Mind In 59-Austin Wright 1959  Perhaps I'm just wasting space on putting this tune up, I know most if not all of you know who the hell Austin Wright was.  Don't ask me, I found this on a CD compilation called Stompin 4, a collection of late 50s-early 60s rock and rhythm and blues from unknowns.  And yup, I found this in the Clarence bins at HP Books too.  Look, it's simple folks, the Crabb Top Ten is to entertain you and also make you go seek out the obscure.  And teach you a thing or two about music of the past six decades. This CD may have been part of the inventory of Ratz Records.  Seems like whoever had those cds have pawned them up at HP books.  May could have been from the old Relics from years past but I doubt that.

6.  Take It Easy-The Eagles 1972  Happy now?  A familiar song from overplayed classic rock land.  BTW, Wally world has gotten the Eagles catalog on sale for 7 dollars as I guess the deal that The Eagles did with Wally World is now lapse and Wally World is trying to clear inventory.  Which isn't a bad thing.  But I do miss the Bernie Leadon/Randy Meisner version of the Eagles more than the money making tandem of Joe Walsh and T.B.Schmidt.

7.  Trying To Get To You-The Eagles 1954  But I betcha y'all don't remember this little doo wop group that had a minor hit on Mercury.  And Elvis noticed since he covered this song. 

8.  Delta Lady-Leon Russell 1970  And I can't believe this was the guy that arranged most of the sessions of Gary Lewis And The Playboys, Brian Hyland or the Crickets without Buddy Holly.  Sure Joe Cocker does a cool version but Leon's version was much more wilder.

9.  La la la la la-The Blendells 1964  These guys were on the same label with The Premiers (Farmer John anybody?) and like The Premiers got on a major label Reprise. You can find this on the DCC compilation Toga Rock or East Side Sound.  Supposedly a cover of a Motown hit, though dammed if I know who did it.

10.  Tend My Garden-The James Gang 1970  The beginning of this record reminds me of a sunrise and one of the most beautiful introduction in the history of classic rock.  But of course Classic Rock Radio doesn't play it but old time underground FM stations did back in the mid 70s.  It's amazing nowadays that we have all these types of musical outlets but the playlist are so damn narrow that you can't hear a good song such as this one since it don't fit the format.  Which is why I miss the Underground FM stations.  They had no format.  The DJ's played what they wanted to hear and that's how we got hooked on variety.

There was a reason why we call it the good old days.

 Some CD reviews of note or catching up.

Coldplay-Parachutes (EMI) 2000  Finally got to hear this record and I don't think much of it.  They got better with the next album and their latest but this is pretty wimpy.

Dancehall Stringbusters-Crunchy Guitar Instros From The 60s (Sundazed)  An uneven collection of guitar instros from the early 60s mostly on the Swan Label. Best numbers comes from Link Wray (Jack The Ripper) to which one would wish that Sundazed would get the Raybeats version on CD before we're dead and gone.

Ramsey Lewis-Goin South (Verve Reissue of the Cadet 1967 album)  In glorious digipak, this is the album that introduced me to Ramsey Lewis, via a 45 that I got for 9 cents at Ben Franklin in Waterloo around 1968.  I have no idea why I collected Ramsey Lewis 45s but I always enjoyed Ramsey's boogaloo take on One Two Three, the Len Berry number.  EWF's Maurice White plays drums on this album.