Sunday, February 15, 2009

Observations: Chipole, Craig Erickson, Old Pussy

Special thanks to Russ and Deb for a nice birthday celebration a couple weeks later.  Went to get some Mexican and I guess I need to work on my Espanol.  I was trying to tell Deb about wanting to get some Chiplote and couldn't say it right.  Way I say it sounds like Jalopy, meaning old junk car.  Fuck, I couldn't say Beef Casita at Taco Time and when I finally got the term right, the place closed up and I'm not feeling all that gung ho to go to Ames for Beef Casita.  Debbie couldn't keep a straight face when I told her, she ordered it beforehand, ya know Chiplote? (Chi-Pol-lay).  The correct way of saying it is Chipotle.....chi...po te
(From Spanish, "L" is silent)....Okay got it, silent L.  Next time I'm ordering Mole instead.  Or just a number 16 dinner plate. :-P

We went out to see Craig Erickson doing a acoustic set at Mahoney's, first time I've been there in about 20 years and the female violinist was interesting for about two songs and the bass player was in a zone of his own and Craig Erickson remains the best CR guitar player but I prefer him in a electric setting myself.  The drummer was terrible, couldn't do a decent roll and when he tried to stretch out a bit would lose a beat.  Sure in my old age and a musician, I tend to be a bit more critical about our brother drummers but he did have a nice set of sparkling Z's and A Crashes.  But Mahoney's is a very small and crowded bar and I'm not into small and crowded bars.  Hell, my basement is bigger than Mahoney's.  Met some interesting girls up there, one had a size 32 pair of plastic pants and a size 38 booty.  While I was outside getting some fresh 8 above zero air, some other chick went by and smiled and said something about something I couldn't understand.  Cold weather must have gotten her speaking in tongues.  Nice girl but sometimes you wonder.

And of course, old Smokey, seems to love me a lot when I go visit my best friend.  He sure loves to pop on my lap and pull his claws out and make me his very own pin cushion and I can't get rid of him whatsoever, unless I'm in a leaning position.  He poked a hole in my new shirt tonight and that was the last time he got near me.  But then again you put him down on the ground and he returns ten seconds later.  Not all there for sure but he has mellowed a lot since the move, probably because he's Alpha Cat.  And crazy too but I'm also just as temperamental as Smokey.  And not as forgiving too.  It's that Crabb mentality.
And the inability to say Chiplote too.