Thursday, February 12, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Happy 200th Birthday Abe Lincoln

Looks like the Grammys(TM) seem to be more Crabb themed with Robert Plant/Alison Krauss getting five awards for their breakthrough Raising Sand album and Coldplay getting a few for their album Viva La Vada too but I didn't watch the awards at all.  I ended up watching SCTV/Night Gallery DVD shows on Crabb TV.  The more I get to watch SCTV to more it appears that the show was ahead of the times.  Ya think the musician guest stars today would appeared in sketches like Dr John or John Mellencamp did back then.  Perhaps this was the final golden age of television although I think the SCTV season three may have been the best season prior to them reaching NBC on the friday night slot.  Still twice as better than SNL was and ten times better than ABC's long forgotten Friday's show, which shining moment was when Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe's Rockpile played on that show. 

I don't think much of the media today, the TMZ Perez Hilton taboids that call Jessica Simpson fat.  I do think she calls a lot of attention upon herself but judging by the Star pics of the Fat Jessica, she looks all right by me.  Maybe better.  I also give her credit for her concerts, at least she's not lip synching.

I haven't been any concerts in over ten years, the last one I went to may have been the Blue Rags at Gabes in 98 and really haven't cared much to pay fifty bucks to see some over the hill band.  The Ticketmaster convenience fees made me boycott most of them.  But I continue to read from the likes of Bob Lefsetz and others about the death of the major label and the death of music today simply of the fact that no nothings, lawyers and accountants plus the evil doings of the fucked up RIAA have turned off the buying public.  The RIAA is the major hemorrhoid on the ass of the music industry.  Sales don't drop off by a third this decade because of flukes, shutting down the original Napster and the wonderful copy protect CDs did them in.  I'm sure a couple years from now we won't have cd stores to shop since everything will be downloaded, or if cds are available they're be in crappy digipaks, another RIAA ploy to take over the world.  It's funny, when I started blogging bout the top ten I didn't know I was documenting the death of the music as it happens.  But then again, the ratings for The Crabb report at My Space are down big time too. Guess it's not like what it was when it was the toast of The Roost at MSN.com.  But then again I had some help from Brooksie and Starman  and it was great to feed off their energies.  I'm sure Mark Prindle is also wondering about where everybody is at too.

And a Happy 200th Birthday to Abe Lincoln.

Songs of the week.

1.  Memories Are Made Of This-Dean Martin 1956  Number one for eight weeks this is the most stripped down Dino that Capitol ever put out.  Gale Storm had a hit with this in the same year and Johnny Cash has covered it too.  We don't call Dino rock and roll but he was my favorite of all the rat packers.  Hard to believe he's been gone for 20 years now but it seemed like yesterday that we got the news that he died.

2.  Repetition-Helmet 1990  Gotta watch out for those mood swings here in Top Ten Land.  I don't think radio would ever dare anybody to play Dean Martin and then move into Page Hamilton.  This was Aggro Rock before the term was ever coined.  On the downside, Helmet was also the forebearer of Nu-Metal which gave us Korn, Deftones and Limp Bizkit.  Not exactly a fair exchange.

3.  Teenage Head-The Flaming Groovies 1970   One doesn't hear much of the Roy Loney led band, since most of their albums go in and out of print as well as the Cyril Jordan led Groovies of the mid to late 70s with their power pop rock.  In fact, the Sire compilation only has this one tune from Roy Loney.  Perhaps Sire didn't want to pay royalties to BMG or Sony for the rest of the story of this San Francisco band that sounded like they came from England.

4.  Bangalore-The Blazers 1963  There was a bridge between Buddy and The Beatles and it came from the likes of surfing music and in the early 60s there was no shortage of that.  Sometimes I do feel that surf music gets a bad rap since people only associate surf music with early Beach Boys or Jan and Dean but Dick Dale or Link Wray also figure into this as well.  This is a minor, regional hit that has a Dick Dale like guitar lead with a rumbling bass and cascading cymbals to give the listener as they are "hanging ten" or "shooting a curl".  Surf music was honest back then and didn't have to rely on Pro Tools to make it sound real.  This would sound mean in Quadraphonic.

5.  Switching To Glide-The Kings 1980   The band's biggest hit and it's actually part two of This Beat Goes On but Elektra did know where to splice the edit at.  Stoopid lyrics but fun to sing if you had one too many Budweisers.  Balance within my hands indeed.

6.  Fistful Of Love-Antony And The Johnsons 2005  Lou Reed plays guitar on this number and I still can't figure out the dood singer called Antony, who sounds like a cross between Boy George and Pavarotti.  Bob Lefsetz was singing the praises of their latest album but I found this for two bucks at HP Books and think I got taken.  If this is the future of rock and roll, then I may as well retire and take my scratchy records and cds with me.  I still like to know how Antony got Reed to play guitar and do the spoken introduction to this.

7.  Let's Talk About Girls-Chocolate Watch Band 1966  Let's do.  This band, I never got much into since they're more dated sounding than the 13th Floor Elevators but this song was punk rock fun before punk rock.  Listen to that rave up chorus and tell me if that doesn't get you to go rocking, or go pick up chicks on the strip.  You can't nowadays, you're too old.

8.  Talkin About You-Bob Wills 1969  I have yet to hear a Bob Wills album that doesn't make me smile.  This was late in his life and he was using session musicians perhaps and most of the songs off this album are instrumentals but Bob takes the lead vocal on this Ray Charles cover and does it the Bob Wills way, lots of AHHHH Haaaas, and YEAH.  And if Bob was hoopin and hollering it meant he was having fun in the studio.  Sure the Tiffany Transcriptions are classic and people speak fondly of the Columbia years but The MGM, Kapp years hold their own.  Even the problematic Tomato CD with the bad mastering features gold among the rust. Texas swing was around before Bob and still is after his passing 34 years ago but Texas Swing remains Bob Wills, no matter how hard Asleep At The Wheel tries.  And they try very well.

9.  Ox Driver-The Modern Folk Quartet 1963  My brother worries about me when I start playing folk music such as this.  These guys did make a appearance on the Teen exploitation music Palm Springs Weekend to this band played this song during the live music scene.  Next to surf music, folk music was the rage of 1963 and although it's more dated now than the freak out Psychedelia of the 1966 era, a lotta folkies would go on to form more meaningful rock or pop bands.  One of these guys went on the The Association.

10. High School Confidential-Mudcrutch 2008  Tom Petty has been keeping busy, reforming this band and doing the voiceover of Lucky on King Of The Hill and he seems to be a natural for voice overs of hicks in cartoons.  Mudcrutch made a belated first album and although I liked it enough and so did Bob Lefsetz, old fuddy daddy Robert Chirstgau didn't and perhaps Christgau's brains has been eaten away due to all the world music and rap he listens to per month.  Whereas yours truly preferred three chords and the truth and no pro tools to screw things up.  This is off the live EP that Reprise stuck out just before the holidays and it's a very brief four song with the long 15 minute Crystal River the highlight but this song was the encore and for five old geezers on stage they can still rock out harder than Fall Out Boy or the other bands that kids love.  But I guess funtime is over for Mudcrutch as Petty decides to go back to his other day job, The Heartbreakers.  But I do have to say that Lucky, his alter ego in King Of The Hill has continued to keep my interest in watching that show which I think is the second longest running cartoon comedy going, next to The Simpsons. One of the rare reasons why I watch TV.

And it so goes.