Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Top Ten:I Am Warning You With Peace And Love

I'm listening to one of the oddest collections that I've come across, a three cd set called OHM: The Early Gurus Of Electronic Music 1948-1980, something that Half Priced Books was selling for three bucks in the clarence section.  They have about 12 more CDs of this box set for your approval but I don't think there's 12 people in Eastern Iowa that could sit through this set.  Amazon is selling this box set for about forty bucks retail.  I think Lou Reed based Metal Machine Music on this set, that's how out there it is.  Anyway, some weird stuff on this and a lot of unlistenable stuff too.

The tunes of the week is as follows.

1.  Crop Circle-Monster Magnet 1998  When I think that this album is ten years old it makes me where the hell the time went. Actually I know, I've spent most of the decade throwing smarty comments to the top ten listings.  Monster Magnet had broke through with Powertrip and was on the bigger and brighter things before the big Universal takeover of Polygram and quit caring about this band.  Dave Wyndorf is still around, he survived a nasty drug overdose and still records as Monster Magent for SPV Records.

2.  Everywhere That I'm Not-Translator 1982  Up in Madison I found their best of album of said title.  This is perhaps the best known song from this band but rest assured all their albums are now on CD.  But nobody really cares much about Translator except well schooled album packrats.  To which I'm sure none of you are.

3.  One Piece At A Time-Johnny Cash 1976 Dedicated to Dennis Pusateri, well schooled smartass and old hippie and a very good friend of mine who I used to trade tapes with when he worked at NCS in the old Pell Department.  He has a very barbed sense of humor to which why I get along fine with him. He's a regular at the Wilson Avenue Hy Vee to which I went up Saturday night and we talked about the good times of long ago.  Appently, he's divorcing his wife and has told her in no uncertain terms that if she wants his motorcycle, she'll get it all right....one piece at a time.  We salute you DP.

4.  Very Best Years-The Grays 1994  Minor supergroup featuring Jason Faulkner and Jon Brion who made only one album but it's probaly one of the best pop albums of the 90s that nobody heard about.  Copies used to sell for about twenty bucks on EBAY but nowadays you can find it for two bucks at Amazon.  This song made it on a Beavis And Butthead clip.  You can guess what they thought of it heh he he heh he he.  Settle down Beavis.

5.  False Alarm-King's X 2001  I get requests from folks to add a King's X song and most of the time they slipped my mind till I moved their albums to the living room so I can check them out.  I think the only album that i didn't care much for was 2000's Please Come Home Mr Bulbous but the followup Manic Moonlight was much much better.  I think I played this song about five times in a row the weekend, very hooky and easy to sing along, King's X remains the best rock band that nobody cares about anymore since they're more real rock than say, Hinder or Jonas Brothers but then again I shouldn't slam the Jonas Bros, at least they play their own instruments.

6.  American Standard-Jordan Zevon 2008  A very good debut album from Warren's son who must have spent most of his childhood listening to Ben Folds, or XTC or even Elvis C.   Recommended for those with a ear for the quirky pop.

7.  Cohesion-The Minutemen 1985  The late D Boon made this double album called Double Nickels On A Dime and it features no less than 43 songs on a CD.  Robert Christgau says there was 46 songs and perhaps so, but most of the songs on this album are only one to two minites long and not a wasted note ever. I like this little guitar piece right before the song that was the theme to MTV's Jackass show. Ya learn something new each day, even if you're close to fifty like me. =P (Side note: Corona, the track used for the Jackass theme song is track 19.

8.  The Shock Of The Lightning-Oasis 2008  New Oasis and it's pretty good.  Don't give up on the Gallaghers just yet, they've made two damn good albums in a row.  Almost makes you forgive them for Be Here Now or Heathen Chemistry.

9.  Come On-Joe Jackson 1980  This was the B side to I'm The Man and was on a out of print Live Compliation till Universal remastered I'm The Man and put this song as a bonus track.  The original Joe Jackson band rocked hard as this song.

10.  Rock On-David Essex 1973  A big one hit wonder, David was somewhat a glam popper I think judging by what I heard on the Best Of CD that I found for two bucks at Goodwill.  Yup, this is overplayed on the radio for sure but when I heard the forty five version of it, I still enjoy it fine myself.  REM kinda rewrote the song for their 1993 song Drive.  But not as good as the original.

More meaningless stuff:

John Richardson is sitting in on drums with the Gin Blossoms.  JR is better known for playing drums for Tommy Keene and Joey Molland's Badfinger Tribute Band.

I've heard some unflattering things bout the new Secret Machines album that it may not be worth the time of effort to review.  Perhaps we have to wait till somebody brings it in used somewhere.  I am also sure the new AC DC will be in a freaking digipak.

Madonna divorcing again?  Really?


And finally I gave up on Kings Of Leon and have no intention of reviewing their latest album.  Like the Strokes I find KOL overrated and although I did give their last album a B grade, history has shown they tend to meddle a bit too much.  Out of all their albums, only one I still have was their Holy Roller Novacaine EP and I think that's all the Kings Of Leon I can listen to.  They don't need me anyway, their latest did crack the top ten when it debuted and then dropped like a stone into the lake.  And so it goes............

Some comment love:

MARGARET Check out WE JAM ECONO--a MINUTEMEN DVD w/ bonus disc. XLNT!
D. Boone died when he fell out of the van door years ago.