Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Top Ten Of The Week-3 Years Of Half Priced Books

With Pumpkinfest coming around the corner here in sunny Anamosa, I thought I give a shout out to the homies of A town.  I love this time of year, beautiful clear blue skies, lots of sun, hardly any rain but the downside of fall is that we keep losing daylight.  Something like an hour and forty five minites from the first of september.  Still have two weeks of vacation left and the question of where to go.  Madison is nice but they have UW football and with Ohio State coming in this week, that will be out of the question.  Anyway, the top ten is full of eccentric stuff so what else is new?

1.  Big Things In Life-Mental As Anything 1989  Aussie band that made no impact in the US but I did enjoy Hand To Mouth enough to go seek out the followup Cyclone Raymond.  Is it any good you ask? Some of it yes, some of it no.  Kinda like Died Pretty or Cruel Sea, bands that made good albums that you can find for a buck in the clarence bins.

2.  Easier Said Than Done-The Essex 1963  A band of Marines making a top ten smash while on leave.  I found their 2 albums on a Collectibles CD that combines the album and found that they really never could top Easier Said Than Done.  A interesting footnote in rock history, The Essex couldn't get it together since they were committed to The Marine Corp at that time and one by one left the group.  Semper Fi.

3.  Over And Over/Second Hand Store  Joe Walsh 1978  One of my favorite albums that got me through high school, yup this has Life's Been Good but side one had these two songs that led off But Seriously Folks.  Had this on 8 track then bought the cassette then the album then the cd.  Talk about dedication.

4.  Your Time Is Gonna Come/Black Mountain Side-Led Zeppelin 1968  Well it looks like Robert Plant put the kabash on any Led Zep reunion plans but there is talk about him doing another album with Alison Krauss once their tour comes to an end.  I still have the first generation CD of LZ's first album and it still sounds very good compared to the remastered edition.  Can't tell the difference why pay the difference and this just in, Rhino is putting all of LZ's output in yet another box set that unless you want six different cd artwork of In Through The Out Door, it has your name written all over it.  Otherwise save up before the great depression hits again.

5.  When It Comes To Your Love-The Beau Brummels 1965  Somebody up at HP Books had the BB's 4 cd retrospective set Magic Hollow for the unbelieveable price of 8 bucks and Rhino Handmade sold this album for 80 bucks new!  I'd bitch too if I had to pony up that much to get a box set of mono mixes but I have always love this band enough to invest eight bucks in a four cd set.  Which is why I love Half Priced Books, you never know what you will find for bargains there.  It's my second home, plus there's two up in Madison.  And BTW, this week marks three years of Half Priced Books in Cedar Rapids.

6.  Why Must Your Love Be So Dry-Nina Simone 1968  There's another box set of Nina's best known songs plus a DVD to boot but I don't think it's enough for me to reinvest into that when Anthology has done the trick, plus I found her reissue Silk And Soul in Iowa City last week.  Hard to believe that she's been dead for over five years.

7.   Head Over Heels-The Yo Yos 2000  Hard punk rock from a British punk band that got their album issued on Sub Pop Records.  Only way I remembered this band was that Bruce at the pawnshop had this in his collection.  But I found a cheap copy of it when I was up in Seattle a year later.  Can't remember yesterday but I can remember getting certain cds at certain places at certain times of the year.  I guess the term is Demetria for what I have.

8.  The Downside Of Being A Fuck Up-Wreckless Eric/Amy Rigby 2008  Pretty much sums up my life but actually this is off a new album from Eric and Amy, who are now married to each other.  For all that pub rock that Eric is famous for and for that Gurl folk rock that Amy is famous for, they would end up sounding like..............................The Raveonettes!

9.  Lady Day-Lou Reed 1973  And still to this day Berlin by Lou Reed remains a very depressing album to the point that it makes Joy Division sound like Up With People.  I didn't care much for Berlin the album when I was in high school but found that it works best if it stayed in the context of Berlin the album and not on any other Lou Reed retropective.  Nevertheless, Reed redid the song for the Rock and Roll Animal album. and a couple others from Berlin would be on the Lou Reed Live album to which at the fadeout somebody yells out Lou Reed Sucks.  Guess they were waiting for a encore of Sister Ray instead?!?

10.  Mercy-Wire 1978  I was going to include this song last week but due to running out of numbers on my top ten couldn't. Something about punk rockers rocking out doesn't make sense but then again nothing ever make sense.  Not in this life anyway.