Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Top Ten Of The Week-From The Q City And Platteville

The fall foilage has been a bit late here.  Things are still green although the trees are in varying degrees of yellows and a spotted red among the Mississippi River.  It's supposed to rain the rest of the week so I thought I go see the changing of the leaves around Dubuque and go into Platteville Wisconsin to find what they have for music stores.  Platteville had a very nice store called Downtown Discs in the middle of downtown that the owner was generous enough for me to seek out the bargains under the table and I found about seven more vinyl albums from the 80s that were worth a look.  I'm listening to an Americana band The Black Velvet Band that made a album for Elektra in 1989 to which I'm sure I saw the CD for about a buck elsewhere.  It's called When Justice Came and produced by Pete (Dwight Yoakam) Anderson and usually a Pete Anderson produced album is worth listening to.

It's a task not to drive on through to Madison but the trail ended at Platteville today and it's a 75 minite drive from home and Dubuque is about fifty minites.  Dubuque has a CDs 4 Change, a store that reminds me somewhat of the old Relics and although they had a good selection, I liked Downtown Discs a little bit more in terms.  All goes to show that small town Midwestville, if you look hard and long enough, you can still find the last record store in town.  And if you get up to Dubuque, for good Mexican food try Los Aztecas on highway 20 next to the Super 8.  The portions are a bit smaller but I sat at a table that was very roomy, and probaly could have sit about eight.  In short, I think going to Dubuque was better than the last time I was up there (about five years ago), but downtown has about ten different pawnshops but I got there real late so I didn't go into but one, The American Pawnshop on Central but I did managed to find a couple things worth getting.  Hell, you know me I always find things of note.  I'm a CD junky kno?

And Dubuque still has Little Caesar's Pizza too.  Lucky bastards.  I did managed to find the Goodwill on Asbury and although I did enjoy sorting through four racks of records, I didn't find anything I wanted unless I was into Danny Davis And The Nashville Brass.  Or Floyd Cramer, or Boots Randolph.

This weeks top ten of note (with smartass comments where needed)

1.  As You Go Down-The Black Velvet Band 1989  Sometimes the bargain bins can yield some decent listening for the open mind.  Such as this band led by Kieran Kennedy.  Outside of that, I don't know much about this band.

2.  Crawl-Kings Of Leon 2008  Remember the last blog to which I wasn't going buy the new KOL?  I lied and got it on the recommendation from somebody.  And for the first couple songs I thought that this might be the best album these guys have put out yet.  And then I listened to the rest of the album.  And I want my money back.

3.  Ain't That Just Like A Woman-Louis Jordan 1947  They didn't call it rock and roll back then, they called it boogie woogie and Louis Jordan rocked harder than most of what came out in the 40s.  Anyway, HP Books had this four cd box set called Jivin With Jordan, that has the best rocking of Jordan's Decca years.  Chuck Berry did a cover of this song in the mid 60s.

4.  Sweet Louisiana Sound-Billy Pilgrim 1995 Probaly the biggest hit from this alt country duo who made two albums for Atlantic, back when Atlantic was signing bands left and right.  Kristin Bush, lead guy singer would later grow a goatee and go Nashville with Jennifer Nettles which you know as Sugarland and head toward a more pop Nashvegan sound.  (gawd I need a spell checker)

5.  Still Water (love)-The Four Tops 1970  RIP Levi Stubbs.

6.  Hurt So Bad-The Lettermen 1969  I suppose I'm going to catch flak on this choice but this song sounded pretty good on AM radio when the playlist was liberal as the Crabby Top Ten.  MOR vocal bands of that era was the rage but nowadays when you scope out the vinyl at Goodwill you see a lotta MOR pop bands that nobody wants.  Mantovani, Classical albums, Mitch Miller.  Linda Ronstandt did a note for note version of this in 1978 and got a sizeable hit.

7.  The Way To Salvation-King Missle 1991  A band lead by a poet John S Hall who sounded a bit like Albert Borchard of BOC.  The band that made three albums for Atlantic were the most rocking and best sounding.

8.  Black Ice-AC DC 2008  New AC DC record that you can get only at Wal Mart.  At least Brian Johnson sounds more in tune than he did on Stiff Upper Lip.  And for a limited time you can get the AC DC back catalog for 7 bucks and Back In Black for 9 bucks.  But by now, you should have all the AC DC albums but don't let the folks at Sony fool you, the Atlantic remasters sound just as good and have regular jewel cases.  And as you know, I hate digipaks.

9.  Ain't Living Long Like This-Waylon Jennings 2008  Speaking of AC DC, this new version of the Waylon song sounds a lot like It's A Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock n Roll.  But then again Waylon didn't care, he's been dead for over six years but son Shooter managed to graff his voice to the 357s music.  Hate to say it, although this song rocks, most of the new Waylon Forever album isn't that great and whoever did the oversinging on I found The Body should be banished to American Idol Hell forever.  Unforgivable.

10.  Doesn't Anybody Believe -The Sidewinders 1990 and finally, Tucson's best band ever made two good to great albums for RCA before some tribute band sued them for rights to the name and then caught fire ever again (although they did make one album for Atlas/Polydor and then regrouped off and on). And The Sidewinders continue to get some kind of Crabb airplay.  Because they f'n rocked.  Rich Hopkins has said that they recorded a new album but I have yet to see it anywhere.  

I wish I could get a radio show, I betcha I would be just as famous as John Peel or Rodney on the KROQ.  Course I wouldn't say too much, I'd just let the music do the talking......

PS, I didn't make much of an effort to seek out Moondog Music in Dubuque.  I'm still a bit miffed at them for driving all the way there and finding they were closed five years ago.  Supposely they're down the road from CDs 4 Change. Ah, maybe next time.

On the subject of most annoying songs from the Amazon blog of same name (or the most hated songs) from JC Roberts.

Basically, I dislike anything popular, because once a song becomes popular, then you hear the bloody thing ALL ... THE ... TIME, no matter where you go, until even just the first few notes of the intro create an inexpressible urge to vomit profusely. Honestly, music should come with expiry dates: DO NOT AIR AFTER (DATE/MONTH/YEAR). It's really unfair to the artist, because it does put people off their music, and increases the liklihood that people will simply tape the thing off the air, rather than make a purchase. Meh, it's the music business. What are you going to do?

Thanks JC, I thought about making a blog about most annoying songs but I have done that about 14 times at the Yardbird's Roost so basically my list of songs are probaly the same as the other folk.  Which is why I like to focus on the lesser known stuff, it's less played and most of the time nobody knows who the hell you're talking about.  But I did cut short a visit at Arby's in Dubuque the other night when Sheryl Crow's First Cut Is the Deepest popped on the box.  Annoyance is what you make of it and getting the hell out is the ultmost importance.  Likewise Mr Mister's annoying Broken Wings.  Or Sammy Davis' Candy Man.  Ugh, I'm doin it again, hashing up crappy songs again........

Comments:

Diggy Kat omg but but but what about the KOL songs Cold Desert and Be Somebody?!?!?! those are near the end of the cd, and i swooooon for those! arg! they're so amazing to me!!! so is the first song Closer!

oooh i got 4 more cds yesterday, Dillard & Clark (2 albums on 1 cd), Gene Clark - Silverado '75, Mark Bryan - 30 On The Rail and the self titled cd by Natalia Lafourcade!