Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Top Ten Of The Week-So Much Music So Little Brain Cells

It's funny how we get older that we simply don't remember much of the new music while the old songs of the past get burned inside our minds.  I did read Vinyl King's little blog about that and sometimes the songs that we should know which escapes our minds that we have to research it somewhere else.  The problem of getting old is that we have 50 plus years of music to hear whereas at the same time trying to bring new music into our collection.  Sure I continue to buy more music but at the same time have less time to listen to it and when I do, I don't remember much of what I heard till I have to play it again to write a credible review of it.  And still fail at the end.  But I keep trying.
link of the day.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/

Ten songs of the week from the player.

1.  It's Only Love-ZZ Top 1976  I don't think much of the CDs that had the drums redone.  The London album had a different drum mix and fits in better than the cold sound.  From the most underrated ZZ Top album of the 70s.

2.  Magick-Ryan Adams & The Cardinals 2008  I can't make up my mind if Ryan is the boy genius that the critics heap gracious praise on him or he tends to overkill everything by flooding the market with countless albums of his work.  This year however, he's only issued one album instead of two or three but we're beginning to figure out where he is coming from.  But he certainly has found his best band since Whiskeytown in The Cardinals, somewhere between Wilco and Gram Parsons and honky tonk.  But I hear a bit of Coldplay on the new album.

3.  Neon Street-Atlanta Rhythm Section 1989  Forgotten track off a forgotten album, this record introduced us to Brendan O'Brien, who played guitar on the album and recorded it and would go on to bigger and better things.  Sounds like what 38 Special's been doing but with better success.

4.  Now I'm Talking About Now-The Swimming Pool Q's 1986  A band from Georgia that sounded a cross between Fairport Convention and the B 52s.  Made a great album called Blue Tomorrow and a couple others but they're still around.

5.  I Love You Yes I Do-Bullmoose Jackson 1947  A blues shouter got a number one hit with this pop number which owes more to Nat King Cole than Louis Jordan.  Later would go on to fame as the original recorder for Big Ten Inch Record.

6.  Burned Like A Rocket-Billy Joe Royal 1986  BJ Royal had pop hits like Down In The Boondocks and Cherry Hill Park and then after the hits dryed up, went country and recorded five albums for Atlantic Country.  I donno, I think I perfer his country period though although his version of Hush is killer.

7.  Take The Skinheads Bowling-Camper Von Beethoven 1985  Before Cracker there was CVB and this was their best known song.  Later got on to Virgin Records and later regretted that decision.

8.  Takin Care Of Business-Big Mouth 1988 Seems like we're stuck in the 80s this week but this was a band that did a remake of the BTO overplayed classic. This band was a one and done band that made ten songs that duplicated the Beastie Boys' You Gotta Fight For Your Right To Party to nine songs and this cover.  Probaly was the inspiration for Bloodhound Gang a few years later.  Another dollar album that I found at the Downtown Discs at Platteville last week.

9.  Good Old Days-Owsley 1999  This track was heard at Del Taco when I was in Prescott back in August and kept forgetting to add it to the Top Ten.  This was a nice power pop number that could have been remembered more fondly if Giant Records didn't fold up soon after this album was released. 

10.  I Really Like Girls-George Thorogood 1988  And finally, this song has fond memories of me hanging at DeSoda's back around the early 90s.  Everytime they played this number all the waitresses would jump on your table and gyrate to the music.  Back in the days when I used to bar hop and go to this meet market to maybe score but never did.  Not with the waitresses anyway.  Russ always thought that this song was annoying anyway.  Perhaps he has a point.  Below best website for your alternative music needs.
http://rscrabb.blogspot.com/
...
Amy sez don't forget me.
http://www.superbowlsinglegirl.com/blog/

Some  Lovin from Lizzy Williams again. :)


Lizzy Williams Love reading your 10 Ten. I always learn. L