Sunday, October 5, 2008

Crabb bits: HP Books, Dennis Pusateri, James McMurty, Freddie And The Dreamers

How does one managed to get over five thousand cds in their collection?

Simple answer.  I have a infinite list of things that I like to check out and I am very amazed of the fact that here in good old CR IA that we managed to have the finest thrift stores in town.  In the three Goodwills and my second home Half Priced Books, I find a lotta obscure stuff in the cheap bins.  Seems like there's a higher power out there that seems to draw me where their at.  Case in point: going to Half Priced Books here, I found the bloated four CD box set of the Beau Brummels Magic Hollow.  For the past couple months I've been checking out the great Al DiMeola albums on Columbia and the last album that I haven't got from him Spendido Motel HP Books had up there for three bucks!  I can't explain it.  I just find them.
A few years ago I was researching Blue Rodeo's output and found a replacement copy of Tremolo, their 1997 Sire album.  Blue Rodeo is a band from Canada that makes Americana music and have been a cult artist at best.  I also found that Tremolo is probaly their least interesting album, it goes on for a hour and most of it is too relaxed for my taste. They're still around although I haven't made much of an effort to get their lastest.

My good friend Dennis Pusateri is a hoot. You have to meet him to know what I mean but like most of the folk who lived by the Cedar River in the infamous flood of this year, his house got flooded out big time.  I stumbled upon an article about him finding some interesting artifacts hidden inside the walls as they were being torned out.  He found an old presciption bottle  from the remedy maker W F Severa Manufacting Pharmacy which got destroyed by a explosing in downtown CR on Sept. 24, 1894.  Of course I'm sure Dennis is probaly disappointed that there wasn't anything in the bottle to sample ;-)  but if this flood of the millenium has proven, that lots of history has been found within the walls of the houses in this area.  It's funny to note that though I never been to Dennis' house, I have driven by it many of times and not know he lived there.

908 16th Ave SE eh?  I have to make a note of it since that house overlooks the old Sinclair/Wilson Foods plant that back in the days of my youth, the stink of that food packing plant gave CR one of the City of Five Smells moniker.

A review from the Past

Best Of Freddie And The Dreamers (EMI-later on Collectibles)

The clown prince of the British Invasion, Freddie Garrity and company actually hailed from Manchester (long before the Madchester scene) but did soundalike Merseybeat with their best known hit I'm Telling You Now and failed followup You Were Made For Me.  Garrity pretty much played things for laughs on old music shows of the 60s which undercut their music (he looked like Buddy Holly if Holly had ten pots of coffee per day) and while most of their output sounded like rewrites of I'm Telling You Now there is a certain charm to some of them.  For about two months in 1965 there was a dance called The Freddy to which Do The Freddie was made into a top thirty song but nobody mentions it much nowadays.  Although signed to EMI UK, most of their stuff came through with Mercury Records.  Capitol didn't feel the need to support them, releasing their stuff via 2nd teir label Tower Records (no relation to the late great music store), later home to a upstart band by the name of Pink Floyd.  Good for a smile and some of the songs have hooks enough to stay in your brain for hours.  The EMI CD differs from the Collectibles with the inclusion of two commericals tacked on at end of disc.  Sadly, after 1966 Freddie And The Dreamers couldn't make a decent album, like Dave Clark Five, a product of the mid 60s and left in the dust after Sgt. Pepper.  But they were a bit more fun than DC 5.
Grade B
Choice hits: If You Gotta Make A Fool Of Somebody, I'm Telling You Now, You Were Made For Me


James McMurtry on Psycho Palin and the democrats responce to her....

YOU MORONS. Palin is deadly when she has a script. Without a script, she's a Valley girl on St. Joseph's Baby Acid, unable to put together a sentence even worthy of Dubya. Had you "vetted" her any better than McCain did, you would have known this long before Katie Couric chased her back into the shadows from which she will only emerge, fleetingly, trout like, to snatch the occasional choice fly off the surface before the election. You are afraid to be accused of roughing up a woman. She's not a woman, you idiots, she's a candidate, and a very dangerous one. She's dangerous because she so . . . so . . . stupid, and she will be President if McCain is elected. McCain is about a million years old and has had four malignant melanomas, the most dangerous type of cancer. It will recur and it will kill him. The stress of the oval office would not be likely to postpone the inevitable.

I can't say I know Palin's personal beliefs, but fundamentalist Christians tend not to differentiate between acts of man and acts of God. They tend to see acts of man as acts of God through man. Man made global warming is just God's plan. This world doesn't matter anyway. Jews are to be resettled in Israel, so they can die. Democrats are willing to let Palin get her hands on the Armageddon switch rather than risk being seen as bullies. YOU MORONS.