Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Top Ten Of The Week-Who Knows Where Time Goes


Between stacks of CDs and requested favorites I left out a a couple songs that I wanted to add to the Top Ten but my memory fails me more often than not.  So here we go with another Top Ten before the party plane heads to the desert and I'll be at my favorite haunts there.  You can find me at the local Zias at Tempe or Chandler or the FYE that used to be Wherehouse Music around the Fiesta Mall area.  And on the Arizona Route 66 North country area.  If I should die before my time, throw my ashes downtown Kingman next to the train tracks, or around the old Route 66 BNSF bridge outside Seligman.  Or even the Chain Of Rocks Bridge in St louis if need be but that's for another trip for later on the year.

The tunes of the week.

1.  Nothing-Ian Moore 1993  Some nasty slide that starts out this song and off a album that when I think I want to trade it in or donate it, I play this song and decide that I'll hang on to it a bit longer.  Whatever
happened to Ian Moore?  He was supposed to be the next big guitar player in the Stevie Ray Vaughn mode.

2.  Coming Home-Delaney & Bonnie & Friends 1970  The start of Derek And The Dominoes, Eric Clapton liked this band so much that he pretty much made them the Dominoes to his Derek.

3.  Wear You Love Like Heaven-Donovan 1967  One of many forty fives that I used to have.   I finally ended up getting Donovan's Greatest Hits and actually discovered a few songs that I do not hear on the radio anymore.  Such as this top ten semi hit.

4.  So Afraid-The Outlaws 1977  Not exactly a critic band I always enjoyed this band playing some nice southern rock and they did have hits in There Goes Another Love Song and Green Grass And High Tides.  Certainly Henry Paul was the country artist to Hughie Thomassen's rock n roll with Billy Jones somewhere in between.  For about three album Harvey Dalton Arnold came on board and was the fourth singer songwriter and was a pretty fair at that too.  This is probaly the most bluegrass sounding that The Outlaws ever got to be and was the B side to Hurry Sundown to which I can't recall seeing copies of that at Marion TV n Records.  But I have been playing a bit more Outlaws lately rediscovering a band that was underappeciated even to this day.  Sadly there's no more Outlaws anymore, Hughie and Billy Jones have become the new Ghost Riders In The Skies, but Henry Paul still plays in Blackhawk who had a few hits in their time (and other passings too).  Wonder whatever happened to Harvey Dalton Arnold.

5.  Running Shoes-The Fabulous Thunderbirds 1980  I went to Waterloo and all I found was this lousy cd from the Fab Birds.  There ain't shit for music stores up there anymore.

6.  News-Dire Straits 1979  Rest in peace Jerry Wexler, who co produced the second album from Mark Knopler and company.

7. Chelsea Dagger-The Fratellis 2007  Heard this song at the Olympics and thought it sounded familar, or maybe it was a commerical.  Betcha can't stop singing along with the chorus boys.

8.  Breathe Me In-Candlebox 2008  New Candlebox!  My life is now complete.  I know a lot of people out there don't give a shit about them and I have yet to read a review that's positive.  I think I gave them the best review so far.  Guess I should turn in my critics' badge now.

9.  Blind Man-Black Stone Cherry 2008  This is new rock and roll that probaly the best out there right now.  If you like Soundgarden, you will dig the Black Stone Cherry.

10.  Catherine Street-Looking Glass 1972 Yup, the Brandy You're A Fine Girl band.  They made a pretty good debut album for Epic to which I originally had on a 8 track and this was one of two songs that I played a lot.  Certainly The Looking Glass had more to offer than that overplayed hit and most certainly I think Crabb Radio is the only place that you will hear this song.  Unless Beaker Street has it in their collection (and I believe they played this back in the 70s as well).

And now Rod's observations of the week.

Gas here is 3.55 a gallon, and was as cheap as 3.41 up in Waterloo Wasteland.

The more I read about John Edwards the less I think of him.  Sure it's hard not to be tempted by seduction while running for president, but own up to it and quit doing this holier than thou attitude.  Of course he would cancel out a trip here after the affair but then again this only makes me feel more contempt of politicians.  And on a discouraging note, McCain is ahead in the polls.  Wanna see the end of the world and return for five dollar gallon gas?  McCain's your man.  Not mine.

Seems like Ellen Degeneries is becoming the Liz Taylor of the Lesbian type.  Isn't this her third or fourth marriage to another woman?   She might be a great talk show host and can be funny but I think she is downright creepy.  If I had any daughters, I definly would keep them away from Ellen.

Sheryl Crow is trying to steal my heart.  She told a crowd to steal her music during a concert in New York last month.  Better watch it, the major labels will be throwing you to the dungeon again.  But I'd probably admire you for your outspoken ness but seriously, I don't download myself.

RIP Leroi Jones, the saxophone player for Dave Matthews Band who died of injuries from a ATV accident. He was 46.


On the subject of All Summer Long by LeRoy P. Marinell

Kid Rock......A man of honor 

I keep reading/hearing about how Bob Richie, AKA Kid Rock, "stole" the music for "All Summer Long" from "Werewolves" and "Sweet Home Alabama".....And what a bad guy he is for doing so…..Well, I'm here to tell you that aint the case at all......Not even close……In fact, not only did he get licenses for those tunes, he was generous in the extreme…..By law he was entitled to 50 % of "All Summer Long" as the lyricist….He would have been well within his rights to have told all of us, us being the writers of "Werewolves" and "Sweet Home", to split the other 50% between us……But he didn't do that…..Instead, he offered to split the royalties equally amongst all of us…..Such honorable behavior is, virtually, unheard of in the music business…And, probably, in any other business….

As one of the writers of "Werewolves", I say, "Bravo, Bob…..You're a gentleman and a man of honor"……
Kid Rock remains a rock n roller and I'm surprised nobody else out there could see the connection with Sweet Home Alabama and Werewolves Of London. It does deserve the Summer Single of 2008 and yep, Kid Rock did credited all the writers involved with the song.  I do admit that I wasn't a Kid Rock fan at the beginning but do find he's gotten lots better as he gotten older and let's forgive him about that Pamela Lee Anderson debacle.  I'd party with him (if he would let me) ;-}

Old 97s Blame It On Gravity (New West Vinyl LP)

An improvement over their last effort which wasn't that bad, it was probaly the digipak that put me off so on this effort we bought the vinyl instead of  CD.  I think Rhett and company have made the most consistant albums of this decade although they got raked over the coals over Satellite Rides.  Still a lot of the quirky rhythms and Rhett observations that make them fun (Dance With Me with references to Billy Squier and The Grassroots and perhaps...Bread) and Here's To The Halcyon which has that Old 97 chugging sound that recalls the Bloodshot years.  Murray adds This Beautiful Life and the yearning Color Of A Lonely Heart Is Blue, and is that one of the others singing The Easy Way.  They actually sound like they're having more fun too without major label hassles.  Radio won't give them any airplay but The Old 97s remains the best kept secret. Blame It On Gravity?  Let's blame it on stupid, indifferent radio airplay.  The vinyl sound is sweet sounding.  And just after I said that, I heard a goddam pop. F'n records.

Grade A minus

Suggested Cuts: Color Of A Lonely Heart Is Blue, My Two Feet, No Baby I, Ride, Dance With Me.