Wednesday, August 27, 2008

A Top Ten From Arizona

The monsoon season is still going strong.  Monday, Mesa Chandler had a 70 mile an hour wind gust that knocked over trees, planes and some poor woman in Apache Junction was getting swept away in a canal that used to be a street.  Last time they had major monsoons here was 1999, about the time I was here at that time.  Geezus I must be the fucking rainman.  Tuesday morning after the weatherman promised a clear evening, we got woke up at 3 AM by a heavy thunderstorm.  I thought I got away from that crap at Iowa, so next day I decided to high tail it up to the north country and Kingman and finally, we got a complete sunny day.  Looks like I'm going to do the Route 66 trip to Oatman and then move on to Bullhead City and see how much the gas is in Needles before retiring back to Kingman tonight and then return to the rain forest called Mesa tomorrow. The top ten will be completed once I get home.

Other things going on here in AZ.  The Fuddruckers in Fiesta Mall closed down. So I've been on a diet of Mexican food and probably will gain back that 15 pounds that I lost.  Been doing some morning walks around Mesa and now here in Kingman.  It's a bit more windy up in Kingman which means we won't get our face burned off by the 100 degree heat.

For concerts we missed Dave Matthews by a day, but just in time to see Poison (pass), Frank Marino N Mahgory Rush.  Motorhead, Judas Priest and Heaven And Hell are playing a metal fest in Tempe tonight but I'll miss that.  I heard the new Motorhead album and have to say it's probaly their least interesting since No Sleep At All. 

For bargains, haven't found much and most of what they play at Zia's and FYE are fucking rap.  Which means from here on out, we'll just have to stay close to home and go to Madison or just shop online.  Went to one Hastings store in Flagstaff and that was a joke. A used cd at 10 bucks?!? Blow me.

Traffic here has been quite easy to get around with, unless you go to Phoenix and then it sucks and somehow I got stuck in rush hour and couldn't get anywhere.  So looks like I'm staying the hell away from metro Phoenix till we go home and BTW, the Mesa airport so far has been a surprise, got in and out quite well but got a show from a couple playing suckface in front of people and some tampon head woman, almost ran into her while she was throwing baby up in the air.  Save that shit at home sweet tits.  Airports are no place for romper room or real sex.  Some of us folk don't get any anymore.

The highlight so far was spending the afternoon on the BNSF overpass outside Seligman.  Got to watch some nice monsoon clouds spreading rain far away and got to count trains and have the wind blow.  It may have been the highlight of the year.

So far cheapest gas found was 3.49 a gallon and highest 4.14 at Grand Canyon Caverns between Seligman and Peach Springs on AZ 66.  I'm sure that fucking hurricane Gustav (who thinks of these stupid assed names for hurricanes?) is going to play havoc with oil prices again along with OPEC but for now, i got the finances and I got the traveling bones in me so let's do this before we can't no more.

What is it about Kingman that I love so much?  I donno, the trains, the small town feel of downtown although Andy Devine Blvd. is so damn busy. Sure ain't no cd stores of note and Hastings don't count anymore but I'll check them out as a courtesy call.  The AZ week ends early Sunday afternoon when I get home, so after tomorrow, I'll be away from a computer.

I'll add more things as the day progress but now my 30 mintes are up.  Off to catch the wind...............................................

Gas in Needles was 4.79 a gallon FYI.

Last night while up in Kingman I got to miss out on a big monsoon gullywasher that reminded me of the 40 days and 40 nights of monsoons up in Iowa.  Sky Harbor and Chandler had 75 to 77 mile an hour wind gusts and rained about an inch in ten minutes and flooded a lot of the lower roads there in the supposedly sun valley and knocked power out of lotta places.  Sure hope that crap is done by the time i get back tonight.  As I finish up my Kingman escapade  I must say that the Kingman Route 66 thingy managed to mellowed me out before a sneeze attack returned me to my old lovable self.

On the way back down from Stirgraves Pass, got to see a whole bunch of cows on the old mother road.  One horny bull was trying to get some in the middle of the road.  Wondered if that was the inspiration of that old Beatle song Why Don't We Do It In The Road.  Whatever you want Future Steak on a Plate.
At Pawn World, yesterday got to see one of Arizona's Finest Freaks.  Appently he had a tiff with the owner on something and while I was searching through the dollar bins, saw this freak staring back at me.  Pretty much gave him my "fuck off" look.  Must of scared him off hehe, sometimes I even scare myself with "the look".

Needles has got to be the gateway to Hell.  It was 110 in the shade and there's nothing downtown except empty buildings and seedy hotels with folk pushing stolen carts and trying to bum money off the tourists.  Always pays to not dress up they didn't bother me.  Had a pretty good shake at the Route 66 Hamburger place to which the guy gave me a cup and half of chocolate malt.  Needless to say I was impressed.  Then I saw the 4.79 a gallon gas price at Union 76.  Time to move on.

The old Route 66 road is getting more rougher as the years progressed on and all it's good for when your in California is to knock your car out of alignment.  I don't think I'll be driving on that part on the way to the Colorado River.  At least Arizona keeps the road better maintained.

One thought about Bullhead City which is five degrees cooler than Needles, the traffic down there is terrible, even worse than Phoenix at times. But for intense heat without the cartpusher money hustlers in Needles it's perferable.

I'd love to return to Kingman if in the area or in Vegas.  I still believe that this is the place to get away from it all.  Time to hit the road y'all, next time you hear from me will be at home.

Top Ten Of The Week

1. Life On Earth-Robin Trower 1981  Hooking up with Jack Bruce, Robin did two albums with Bruce with uneven results.  Chrysalis had a bright idea to combine the best moments of those albums to a single overview.  Hard to find and it does add all but one song from BLT and takes half a side from Truce, which wasn't that great but Robin did get Reg Isadore to play drums on that from the Bridge Of Sighs years.

2. Big Steal And Borrow-Swinging Steaks 1994  Band that made a interesting album for Capricorn and then got Gary Katz (Elliott Randall's ex friend) to produce it.  This album is kind of a cult album and is also hard to find but I did get it at Pawn World in Kingman for a couple bucks while meeting some freaky fuck up there.

3. Ain't Life Grand-Widespread Panic 1994  Don't ask me why I've been in a WP mood of late, WP was even on Austin City Limits Friday night.  They're still jamming away, one of the oldest jam bands around and John Bell is a distinct singer in the way of Lemmy is with Motorhead.

4. Long Island Lady-Marshall Tucker Band 1983  Marshall Tucker had distribution problems when they reissued their back catalog in the late 90s.  Sure you can get the early albums up to Carolina Dreams on KTel, but anything after that it was hard to get.  They moved over to Platimun Records, saw them go bankrupt then moved over to Beyond Records and they went belly up.  They're now on Shout Factory but for all problems they had with mentioned labels, those albums you can now find for five bucks or less at FYE or selected Goodwill stores up in Waterloo.  By then, Marshall Tucker Band was becoming more country than rock but Just Us, the 1983 album shows them embracing a jazzier side before returning to be a country band.

5.  This Is The End-Charlatans UK 2008  New track from new Charlatans and judging from what I heard from this album and digipak it may be for reviewing their album.

6.  Take It All-Badfinger 1972  From Straight Up, this album showcased Badfinger to be a decent Beatles soundalike band but they have got to be the most hardluck band to ever be in rock and roll.  Their tales of label and management fuckups would get them in the R n R Hall Of Fame on the first ballot.  Only Joey Malland remains the sole living member of the band.

7.  Sally Can't Dance-Lou Reed 1974 One of the few times that the single version was better than the album version.  The disappointment of Modern Times was that they stuck the album version while Walk On The Wild Side had the two minite forty eight single version on that album.  The album cut is a bit more grimmer too.  The reissue of Sally Can't Dance, they do add the single version.

8.  I Hear Her Call My Name-Velvet Underground 1968  Rush hour in Phoenix or Prescott or Sedone is not the place to hear Velvet Underground music, or even hearing VU's Heroin.

9.  I'm Telling You Now-Freddie and The Dreamers 1963  Another minor band from Merseyland riding on the British Wave of The Beatles, I think they were a step ahead of Gerry And The Pacemakers but a step behind The Dave Clark Five who were grittier. Fred Garrity looked more like of a clone between Jerry Lewis and Buddy Holly and although they did have their moment in the sun, I do recall seeing a lot of their Mercury albums being sold for fifty cents at Eisner's Grocery Store in Lincoln in the late 60s.  Hard to believe I can remember such things but can't remember yesterday for the life of me.

10.  Theme From Route 66-Nelson Riddle 1960  The theme of the Arizona trip. Taking a spin on Arizona 66, the longest reminder of Route 66 as I drove to Kingman from Ash Fork and then back again.  Had a interesting CD to listen to on this treck, it was a classical album of songs set to driving on Route 66 and it was fun to hear them that way but I would like to make a suggestion that they should have had Hugo Montegero's version of Good Bad and Ugly instead.  But we'll give them points for paying EMI to use this song on the cd.  The CD is called Drive Time/Route 66 and can be found as selected Route 66 tourist traps across that highway.

While it stormed in Phoenix, the metal gods performed that night at the Cricket.
Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell (Dio Black Sabbath era band), Motorhead and Testament.   I didn't go but here's a review of it. (updated the link due to issues with the old link-something about it being an attack site, whatever that is).


http://archive.azcentral.com/ent/music/articles/2008/08/29/20080829judaspriestreview.html