Monday, January 30, 2012

Play That One More Time And I'll Kill You-More Overplayed Crap 2

As we conclude this month, it looks like we might give last month a run for the money as most viewed.  620 plus views for The Brains Blog and Good God.

My GF is just like me, pushing the buttons on the radio trying to find something worth listening to without going bonkers.  She even cusses out Music Choice for playing the same country songs over and over.  She was bitching about I'll Go To My Grave Loving You by the Statler Brothers and though I don't watch Music Choice classic country channel all that much I do noticed that they tend to play certain folks more often than others.  Certainly George Jones and Merle Haggard get many plays there.

It could be worse.  It could be that Top Forty Autotuned R and B station that grates on our nerves.  Or that crap assed channel that is playing at Micky D's.  In terms of theory,  Kris Allen has outlived his usefulness and perhaps his version of Live Like You're Dying is his one hit wonder, his Broken Wings.  And certainly nobody is buying his CD anymore judging by the 10 copies still at Half Priced Books in the dollar section.

Thoughout time, every era has its moments and overplayed moments although you don't hear it on the big band channel.  But then again classic rock radio has always been stagnated with the same songs over and over again. Once again a few songs have now crossed into my banned playlist thanks to overexposure.  Let somebody else live in Margaritaville Hell,  I don't have much time left on this planet to listen to the same old same old bullshit.

1976 was probably one of the best years for music but Silly Love Songs by Wings wasn't one of them.  In fact, Paul Mccartney has had his share of overplayed schmaltz  in the 70s' with the goofy assed My Love, the overwrought Maybe I'm Amazed to which the only version I can listen to is the Faces cover.  Didn't like the studio and hated the Wings Over America version.  Overall Silly Love Songs wins out as annoying over My Love is that the GD thing goes over 5 and half minutes of Paul and Linda chirping I Love You a gazillion times.  At least Cook Of The House is a change of pace but then again Wings At The Speed Of Sound was garbage over the landmark but overplayed Band On The Run and good Venus And Mars.  But then again Macca was always the most erratic Beatle, even more so than Ringo Starr and Silly Love Songs proves it,  And With A Little Luck and Goodnight Tonight is always more turds to forget.

Bruce Springsteen.  The Boss, the man.  Born To Run, need we say more?  I still like The River, his 1980 double album and I like the throwaways better than actual hits.  Hell I enjoy Crush On You or You Can Look But You Better Not Touch over the much overplayed Hungry Heart which is the reason why God created the fast forward button.  Somewhere in the world on a Cumulus or Clear Channel station this song is still in regular rotation for over 30 freaking years.  Another song that has been stripped of nostalgia for me is Glory Days from Born In The USA, the 1984 classic album that could be his finest hour had radio not run the songs into the ground.  When Glory Days comes on, the button gets pushed to another channel but I'll listen to No Surrender or Working On The Highway anytime.

My GF is a big Queen fan and I do have a few of their albums but in all fairness I have never been a big fan of Killer Queen, the first time we all got exposed to Freddie Mercury and company.  This song got into my crosshairs a couple months ago when both The Fox and 105.7 played this at the same time!  This is the problem of why corporate un-music lovers like Cumulus and Clear Channel shouldn't have bought all the stations back on that GD failjob Tele Comm Act of 1996, the actual day that the music did die and left us with the stale leftovers of the overplayed.  If we want to get into cutie pie keyboard fluff, we'll go with Sparks.  At least their songs don't get run into the ground like Queen's Killer Queen.  Bohemian Rhapsody also can be nerve grating at times too but again since my GF likes that song I'll let it pass through.  And TLC's Waterfall too.

I'm sure the artists in question never intended to have their songs being overplayed but the royalites check still come in quite handy for them.   But even they are probably sick of hearing the same old same old song everyday, if they listen to the radio.......

2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: I don't think "Silly Love Songs" is more annoying than the odious "My Love," but it IS pretty annoying ... & I don't think "Maybe I'm Amazed" is overwrought, but otherwise I'm absolutely with you on the Overplayed Crap.
But there are other opinions: I'm reading a book right now that calls Paul's "Listen to What the Man Said" -- which I've hated since about the 3rd time I heard it -- "his last great love song." WHAT?! & what about ... oh, "No More Lonely Nights"?
With you on The Boss. "Hungry Heart" got overplayed YEARS ago, but I've heard "Dancing in the Dark," "Brilliant Disguise" & even "Born in the USA" & "Born to Run" recently & heard new things in them.... Maybe I'm just getting older, or a little time between listenings helps....
Hey, I don't even play my FAVORITE music that often. But we agree that most classic-rock/album-rock radio -- with its standard 100 or 200 "classic" overplayed songs -- sucks pretty badly. What I wouldn't give 4 a radio station that would TAKE SOME CHANCES. We almost had a couple up here over the past year, but they all cave-in sooner or later. I was taking tapes 2 work 4 awhile, but those get boring 2....
Hang in there!

Starman62 said...

And of course McCartney's "Wonderful Christmas Time" is the most annoying of them all. The cheesy keyboards sound like someone who just got a new synthesizer for Christmas and they are noodling around for the first time.

How about Ebony and Ivory? The lyrics are triter than a greeting card.

But to give Paul his due, the Fabs would have never achieved the level of success without him. In fact, I doubt they would have made it out of Liverpool. John would have still been playing banjo chords in a pub somewhere.

I've never owned a Springsteen album and probably never will, but I do appreciate his talent, and he really puts on a high energy show. But the Born in the USA album reminds of an annoying (speaking of annoying) neighbor I once had in an apartment complex who I swear played that album every single day full blast. It was probably the only album he had. So we'd try to drown it out by playing Judas Priest or Deep Purple full blast.

Another annoying thing are the rock documentaries that always seem to feature cameos by Springsteen, Bono, and others. I haven't seen too many lately, but there was a time when you could not get away from Bono having to comment on everything. It's too bad so many great musicians never got the recognition, or they died too soon. It always has to be these overexposed, super wealthy big ego guys. It would be cool to see someone like Phil Lynott or Al Wilson comment on a few things, but that's another topic.