Friday, January 20, 2012

Crabb Bits: Johnny Otis, Etta James RIP, Winter

Etta James finally gave up the ghost and passed away at age 70 from leukemia.  A day earlier Johnny Otis passed away at age 90.  Back in 1994 Etta James gave the introduction to Otis to the rock and roll hall of fame.

I remember years ago that my folks had a copy of Willie And The Hand Jive but the B side was the hard rocking Ring A Ling which may have been the first real punk rock number.  Some wild sax playing and of course the drummer of Earl Palmer makes this stand out but for me this may have been the first single that made me a slave to the forty fives of rock and roll.  And the endless decline into my musical journeys.

Johnny Otis was one of the founders of rock and roll if you think about it.  He made a bunch of big band r and b for Savoy in the late 40s early 50s before simplifying the band down when he signed on with Capitol Records.  His big hits employed the Shave and a haircut/ Two Bits sound that Bo Diddley had down put and enjoyed his biggest hit with Willie And The Hand Jive and later hits like Casting My Spell and Crazy Country Hop.  Capitol back in 1989 issued Otis' best moments on The Capitol Years (later reissued via Collectibles). Highly recommended.  But also Otis was instrumental in starting the careers of Big Mama Thornton (Hound Dog), Etta James (Roll With Me Harry) and a few others.

Winter has made in here and after a week after the first storm we have had three more come through, with another big 5 and half inches of the white shit this afternoon.  Basically we got spoiled with the mild and quiet winter but it seems the last week Mother Nature is trying to make up for lost time.  Needless to say, we are all sick of it, except for the kids who get to stay home after school is closed. 

Hate to say it but the new Bruce Springsteen song is blah.  I heard rumors that his new album is his angriest album in years and whose to say otherwise but from what I have heard there doesn't seem to be much urgency in the lyrics which is missing something.  At least with The Rising Bruce sounded inspired but this song seems to indicate that he's coasting and basically another album that will fall short of my expectations. But then again I have yet to play the Born To Run Japan CD that I got for 2 bucks at HP Books last year.

Still even though I'm not too impressed with Van Halen's latest single Tattoo, I do have their album pegged in for review when it comes out but they may have dropped the ball by hiring John Shanks to co produce.  Wasn't Ted Templeman available? Or Don Landee? Or Andy Johns?  I love Diamond Dave and the Van Halen Brothers but I'm thinking Mike Anthony would have made the album much more better.

No bargain hunts are in the works.  More crappy weather is on the way.

3 comments:

Starman62 said...

Happy New Year, Crabb! I was fortunate to see Etta James at the Sandpoint Festival in 2007. May she rest in peace. Winter is finally here. We had our first snow storm of the season last week. In like a lamb and out like a lion, I suppose. You take care, Crabb.

TAD said...

Crabby: Didn't Etta James do "Tell Mama"? That's a great song....

R S Crabb said...

Great to hear from ya Starman. Stop by more often bro!

TAD: Yep Etta did Tell Mama. I have to post a song from her in the next edition of the top ten.