Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Crabb Bits: Assorted Random Thoughts

Basically it's my birthday today.  I think we did this just last year at this moment.  Skies are sunny, temps are about 28 degrees and there's snow on the ground but it is sunny.  But 51 years ago, my parents were fighting getting to the hospital in a GD blizzard on Route 66, and here I am today.

In terms of blogging, I think I have mellowed a bit although if I really wanted to start up a war or words with anybody, all I have to do is say Carrie Underwood has a big mouth and sucks and watch the fun begin.  One thing I do give The Carrie Nation credit is how dedicated they are to Underwood and if that is the case, she'll be around for years to come.  I know she can sing but she tends to oversing too much for me to like and at times annoy the hell out of me.   When I read of the story of Underwood teaming up with Steven Tyler on a CMT Crossroads show that gave me visions of a forthcoming headache, so that caused me to call her Big Mouth Underwood on Twitter and then the switchboard lit up.  I actually got into a decent conversation with one of them to which we actually got a good laugh and me then making the comment that she has some dedicated followers and she can sing.  And got 8 retweets for that comment.   Maybe someday I'll mellow and cave in to seeing what CD of hers I can listen to.  But till then, I can't get on the Carrie bandwagon, and still think Miranda Lambert is the better of the two.  Get Carrie Underwood with a T Bone Burnett and let's see what happens after that.

Bob Lefsetz continues to dazzle us with his brand of Bullshit and his latest blog pretty much is the same as the rest of his preaching about how to be good musically in a digital world.  Yep the reason why radio sucks is that it caters to the advertisers, Rolling Stone is more politics and pin up babes than actual music and Jimmy Iovine is nothing more than chasing money, like anybody else that is in the music biz.  Interesting read although I await a response from the dude that disses Lefsetz. http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2012/01/24/power-top-ten-3/

Another great read that I found on the net very late was from Shooter Jennings stating that rock and roll is dead but the spirit is alive in underground country.  Shooter has the same mindset as his dad, very opinionated and dead on, his music on the other hand I just can't get into but I'm certain he still has that classic in him that will come out one of these years.  It's wordy but Shooter tells the truth and pulls no punches either. http://www.blackcountryrock.org/moonrunners/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26%3Arock-and-roll-is-dead&catid=1%3Amusic&Itemid=24

BTW another website to tell you about. http://www.moonrunnerscountry.com/  More of that alt country rock thingy that I enjoy reading.  Deep in the archives they have something on Cowpunk, or the Americana sound of the early 80s.  Perhaps I'll take a swing at Cowpunk in a future blog.

Neil Young has a bone to pick about the way music is recorded in the last decade and he brings up a good point. http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-young-angered-by-the-way-todays-music-sounds/  I love that the way he describes the way digital recordings that are some badly LOUD and COMPRESSED that it sounds like an 78!  Or an 8 track (my opinion).  We have the technology to make things sound better but the newbie recording engineers record everything IN THE RED and the HIGHER RED too.  On another note, looks like the next Neil Young album might be with his cohorts Crazy Horse and maybe two albums too.

And Neil Diamond is 71 today.  Rock and roll started with him.

And finally Jeff Higgins from Groove Sandwich has a site dedicated to all things vegetarian.  http://rocktownvegan.blogspot.com/

And if you don't have enough links to look at, this is the FB page for Pat Travers.  The man lives and breathes music and can give Tom Petty and Bob Dylan a run for the money with his music tastes.  http://www.facebook.com/pattraversband

Yes, we missed this but Jason & The Scorchers played a show in St Louis this month, great review is here. http://www.nodepression.com/profiles/blogs/concert-review-jason-the-scorchers


Finally, I have a bone to pick with my Aunt Virginia who after 49 years of sending me birthday wishes or a birthday card that she decides that she's not going to do that anymore.  But she can talk to my brother anytime of day and pretty much give him a car in her name once she passes on.  So be it then.  Life is what we make it and if you rather show favoritism and chat up with my brother and all you can say to me is how fat I'm getting then basically you can go live in your fantasy world till you're in the grave and we can just excommunicate with each other and you can be an invisible dead person as far as I care.  If you want to go away, just do it and not give me this jazz every time my birthday pops around.  I'll love ya in my own way but you'll be in the past tense.  That way I don't have to hear you say how much we need to go to Jenny Craig when you pop into town.

Have a nice life, if you can remember it.

2 comments:

TAD said...

Happy Late B-day, Crabby! I woulda wished you 1 on Tues nite, but the winds were screamin at 50 mph here & the electricity was bumpin on & off all nite, so....
Ian MacDonald in REVOLUTION IN THE HEAD sez that rock started going down the tubes when producers started getting obsessed with "layering" trax on their 72-track recorders -- there's no such thing as a band "live in the studio" anymore, there's no spontaneity, no room 4 the music 2 breathe.... Everything now's about "technical perfection," there's no life, no soul. Hard 2 argue with.
Oh, & Neil Diamond started rock&roll? Listening 2 his hits from THE BANG YEARS, I can almost agree with ya.
Keep cranking em out & hava Happy....

R S Crabb said...

Imagine that, I leave a comment and Blogspot fucks it up, reenter my password and I lost the response. Get with it Blogspot, I get tired of trying to comment and lost things.

Hi TAD, trying to remember what I wrote down. Neil Diamond bang years are pop rock candy that got him in the rock n roll HOF. The Columbia stuff almost got him blacklisted. ;)

Today's producer doesn't need a 72 track studio anymore, just a computer a room and all the pro tools and autotuner and canned beats at his disposal. Most new music sucks anyway, with singers doing bad rap or going over the top with their vocals. Which is why Top forty radio is worthless. Plus the fact that everything is over recorded anyway makes it painful on the ears.

Amazing how all this technology and the producer engineers makes these overcompressed MP3s sound like bad 78s. Not exactly progress, I'll stick with the 78s and scratchy 45s. ;)