Monday, October 3, 2011

Top Ten Of The Week-Farce The Music Guest Stars.

This week, I slashed one of my typing fingers so I can't type very well but my good friends at Farce The Music gives us ten country songs of note.  The Good And The Bad.  If you enjoy your top ten music with a bit of sarcastic and dry sense of humor, you'll get a kick out Farce The Music.  FTM, actually was one of my earliest followers at the old Twitter and we sometimes trade barbs about the college football teams but we do agree on one thing and that Jason Aldean is NOT country.  Your opinion will vary.  The links provided actually do work so you can hear the music but FTM is mostly into the new country.  Good and bad again. 

1. George Strait – Here for A Good Time 2:57
A solid single from ol' King George. It incorporates partying and a little philosophy with relative ease. It also exudes all the charm Strait is known for. Nothing earth-shattering but a strong tune.
B
2. Montgomery Gentry – Where I Come from 3:20
Same song, new verses. Stock Montgomery Gentry tune. Thankfully, that at least means some twang, steel guitar and some of the trappings of what country should sound like. Of course that also means rocking and strutting. "Where I Come From" is pretty much "My Town Part 2." Not bad and it'll probably get them back on the radio but really.... can't we get some new freaking subject matter on the radio?
C
3.  Sawyer Brown – Smokin’ Hot Wife 3:10
I smell cheese before this even starts. It sounds like a Bellamy Brothers song right off the bat, which I would prefer. Hmm, no this isn't good. It reminds me of some other song that I can't recall at the moment, but I'm pretty sure it's a direct rip-off of that song. This is worse than bad Buffett, and that's saying something.
F
4.  Robin Meade – Dirty Laundry 4:17
I'm not expecting much from the CNN news caster... and oh shit, it's a cover of Don Henley. This is awful. Not as spectacularly bad as that Chenoweth chick's foray into country, but it's in that league. Make it stop. Robin, stick to your day job.
F
5.  Taylor Swift – Sparks Fly 4:19
Well, it sounds like a Taylor Swift song. Ms. Swift is most certainly NOT like a box of chocolates. She certainly knows how to craft a vaguely country pop tune that's sweet on the ears. Nothing more, nothing less. The gals 12-25 will love it.
C+
6.  Ashton Shepherd – Where Country Grows 3:11
I love Ashton's voice and the fact that she's very traditional sounding. However, I can't be a hypocrite here. This is YET ANOTHER COUNTRY LISTING SONG. Sigh.
C

7.  Jeff Bridges – What A Little Bit of Love Can Do 3:35
This sounds different than the crap he's put out lately. Oh... Jeff Bridges.. not Jeff Bates. My bad. Catchy, bouncy, cool song. I love this but it's pointless sending it out to radio. Nashville likes glitter not gruffness.
A

8.  Steel Magnolia – Without You 3:26
Did this accidentally get put on here when it was actually intended for the Adult Contemporary promo only disc? I half expect Sting or Train to come on next. This is pleasant enough, I suppose but just not what I want out of country radio. This group lacks excitement.
C-
9.  Tyler Farr – That’s What They’re Bitin’ On 2:31
Rock riff. Attitude. Testosterone. The gates are open, y'all. The Aldean copycats are lined up from here to Athens and Nashville's herding them in. No thank you.
D

10.  Blake Shelton – God Gave Me You 3:47
The least country song Shelton's ever put out (maybe aside from "Home?"). It's a fairly catchy power ballad, but it's also pretty standard fare aimed at the soccer mom demographic. It's a radio programmer's wet dream.
C-
 Farce The Music is one of the better fun music sites that pretty much takes on the Jason Aldeans and other so called plastic hat acts that is Nashville country today.  For better or worse, if you enjoyed reading this top ten, you can find more songs that didn't make the cut at http://www.farcethemusic.com/ 

Thanks Farce The Music for the links, viewpoints and guest starring while Crabby is on the mend.

8 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: I'm not much of a country fan, but still -- this list is pretty good & pretty funny. I like their punchy format.
Get that hand all better by next week, ya hear?

R S Crabb said...

My typing finger is doing better TAD as you can tell ;) FTM is into the classic country and tries their best to find the new stuff but I like the way they added a link to these songs posted. Perhaps they'll be back in later editions of The Top Ten Of The Week, or you can add your great lost singles to the cause too ;)

Might be worth about 10 new views per week too. Cheers!

TAD said...

Crabby: Ignore my last note. Give me a couple days & I'll send you a Top 10 Great Lost Singles list. I don't need 2 think it over. Happy 2 do it. It will, at least, B shorter than the last 1.... & you can use it whenever you want. Thanx!

R S Crabb said...

Well you don't have to rush one out right now TAD, basically you can pick and choose which songs that made the most impact while you were doing in your blog. Maybe at the end of month will be fine. I think I have two weeks worth of top ten stuff over here. After all some of the great lost singles you posted on your blog actually got some of the rusty wheels in my head a turning.

TAD said...

Crabbsta: OK, but I got that list all ready just in case....

R S Crabb said...

TAD if you want to, you can send it next week for inclusion. I'm sure it will be pretty good.

cloudylyt said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
R S Crabb said...

We'll see. Sometimes I like the simple things.....