Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Moron Monday-More Overplayed Crap

Monday wasn't a very good day, it was of a continuance from the idiocy that we had to endure Sunday Night.  Brandon, the lazy gay waiter at Star Brewery, some dipshit on a motorcycle that passed us like he was practicing for the X Games then stopped at the red light and I really wanted to go up there quickhand and plow into him or least flash my brights on and the dumbfuck driver annoyance squad that we encountered around Monticello and had to deal with them most of the way back to Marion.  But yesterday we knew we had our work cut out when some dumb bitch on a cellphone just about turn in front of me and the driver in the other car next to me over by the busy Hy Vee entrance.   And still yacking on a GD cellphone.  Cops could make a killing if they pull over these yack boxes and enforce the no talking on cellphone law that went into effect.

What makes life that much more annoying is the monopoly of radio stations our wonderful friends at Cumulus has around here.  These guys are much worse than Clear Channel and now they have changed the format at KQCR 107.1 to become yet another top forty crap ass station.  But then again 99.3 out of Dyersville ended up playing Amos Moses twice in one day, which really makes me wonder if classic country is as cracked up as it means to be.  Not that we're picking on Amos Moses, we really don't hear much Jerry Reed on the radio anyway, but it'd be nice to see them dusting off Senorita or I'm Just A Redneck In A Rock N Roll Bar once in a while to make me go wow.  But then again when me and Nicole go somewhere if a song does come on worth noting she does turn the radio down.  Or the player if I have it in the car.  

But when you stuck with the radio and the Cumulus Sixty an overplayed song will drive you bonkers.  Somewhere in this GD forsaken world, Margaritaville or Piano Man is being played and probably about 100 times at the same time.   If Jimmy Buffet would never record another song or tour, he could live off the triple digit royalites from this overplayed lament of losing his prized salt shaker and blaming it on a woman.  I wasn't that big of a fan of that song anyway but it defies categorization.  Which means you can hear it on a oldies station, a easy listening station both new and classic country stations and even KMRY or classic rock.  Which makes it doubly annoying if you don't want to hear it.  Which you will thanks to Cumulus, which owns this town.

Billy Joel's Piano Man is another piece of tripe to which if I never hear again it would like winning the lottery.  This used to be the closing song when the folks at Desoda's would play to tell folks to go home.  With a harmonica riff off a Bob Dylan song or style.this would enable Joel to live comfortably on royalties too.  And for years I detested Joel on the basis of Piano Man  although in later years he would do much better with The Stranger, 52nd Street or Glass Houses but that he did managed to keep getting airplay up till River Of Dreams.  But then I don't think he's much of a rocker.  People used to make fun of Muzak when you went out to eat, or go grocery shopping but if you subjected to hear Margaritaville or Piano Man at your local Family Foods in Anamosa you begin to long the days back of muzak, at least muzak puts a different spin on the overplayed.

We live in a era to which we have so much music and so many ways of hearing it but when it comes to radio and Cumulus' limited playlist and the payola of playing the overplayed you really don't hear radio when it was listenable 20 years ago or even better 40 years ago.  KMRY, which isn't owned by Cumulus (yet) does manage to recreate the songs and playlist of the era that we grew up in, to which Frank and Dean could live alongside The Beatles or garage rock and yes even the dreaded Margaritaville or Piano Man to which KMRY does play on a much more regular basis than I care for.  A music fanatic is always fucked when it comes to the damn playlist created by accountants and experts about 30 years ago and haven't changed it one bit.  There's much more to life than Piano Man or lost my salt shaker and cut my foot on a pop top because I was fool enough not to look where I was going or put on shoes like Buffet didn't do.

There's still songs that make me want to turn it up when I hear them, there are others like Sweet Child O Mine or the two songs in question that make me make a beeline to change the damn channel only to change it again when those damn songs follow me down the dial.  In fact the only escape from the overplayed is either the jazz station or big mouth talk radio on the AM dial.

But then again it could be worse, it could be this.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxf2KCSyvgQ&feature=related

2 comments:

drewzepmeister said...

Hey Crabb!

I wanted to make a comment on the other day's blog post...

I haven't been to the Dubuque region since I was a teenager. I remember it being a pretty area to see some scenery. One place place I remember going to was Effigy Mounds National Monument. They've got some cool Indian mounds out there, better than the ones here in Racine.

I know that Iowa is flat and full of corn is just a myth. I traveled through the state several time to go westward on family vacations. The north eastern part is much like south western Wisconsin due to the glaciation process (the lack of)

I'm glad that you and Nicole had a good time out there though...

R S Crabb said...

Howdy Drew. I didn't used to go to Dubuque all that much till a couple years ago discovering Moondog Music and CD's 4 Change but going out there last week was fun due to the turning of the leaves and I think Nicole gotta kick out going through 3 states in 10 minutes. I think those big hills around downtown freaked her out a bit.... ;)