Friday, October 7, 2011

Things That You May Have Missed

Greetings and I'm back again.  Most of this week, I couldn't type very well for the fact that I got some fucking cardboard slash on my finger and trying to figure how that happened.    For the most part, I haven't been around here at my crabb room but rather over at the GF's house and spending the past two weekends over there.  I'm still trying to find some type of compromise of time here and time there but she seems to think it should be over there all the time.  I do love her but my livelihood remains over here at the Crabb house. and still seem to be more at home here.  Is there a common bond for this, don't know, but I still can't shakes these come and go as I please mode that been a part of my life for fifty years.

Just think three weeks ago I was getting ready for AZ and two weeks coming back here.  Mother Nature was kind enough to spare the dust storms when I was there but seems like they had a big one on Tuesday that shut down interstate 10 between Phoenix and Casa Grande and big pileup from a dust storm.  At least the weather was sunny all the while I was there.  Weather here has been delightful and for the first time in years, the fall foilage you have to see to believe it.  The leaves are turning to a bright yellow to which the sun enhances it to the point that you might be in a dream.  Up around the Mississippi area you cannot get a motel room nor campground around the Decorah/ Calmar area.    But it's not just there but down here as well and for the next 2 weeks the peak season will be here.  I'm not sure if it warrants a trip to Madison already, I did that last year at this time and the AZ trip I really don't need any more buyouts of music stores.   But it does not stop Nicole from telling me to go up to HP Books when I get too bored over at her place.  Still it amazes me that the AZ trip didn't get me any vinyl albums to speak of, although I did have my chances.  I think I felt I was more at home, hanging at the local Bookman's or Zia's Music Stores and wishing I can spend more time in these places that meant so much for me in my time in AZ. 

But getting back home, I took Nicole to Octoberfest in Amana, which is the go to place in October.  Being going down there, fight the crowd, eat too much and see some polka band playing polka music.  Unfortunely for us we ended up hearing a crappy band trying to do top forty and sounding like shit as each song came and gone.  I thought about calling 911 to report that the dude killing Tommy Tutone's Jenny must be dying himself.  The worst excuse ever to sing.  Sure they were playing but GD it, if your going to play at least make some kind of effort to stay in tune and not screw up the song.  To which one would say the more you drink the better we sound but there wasn't enough beer in Amana (or Iowa) to ever make this band sound tolerable.  But most of the time, I was following my best friend's dad to the bathroom just to make sure he doesn't get lost.  His dad is 86 years old and is beginning to lose a bit of control on where he's going but then again I'm not sure that my best friend is also losing it, especially when the more he drank the more he started talking to strangers.   Nothing wrong with talking baseball with a Cardinal fan but when he hugged the old hostess at the Ronnenburg Inn,  she gave him a creeped out look and perhaps thought about calling security or the cops.  My best friend means well but sometimes he doesn't have good judgement, particularly when he drinks.

I'm sure Pumpkinfest in Anamosa would have been better but we missed out on the parade and settled on a Pumpkin Pancake breakfast the next day to which I think I liked the pumpkin pancakes better than she did.  But then again, we had to deal with a thousand GD flies in the building, kinda sad when you can't eat without a few of them flying bugs trying to land in your pancakes.  To which I drove back home and got the mower to mow her yard and then come home and mow my yard, take a shower and then had to hear my mom bitch and moan about not getting a hold of me, since my best friend turned off the phone and the phone wasn't working at the GF's house, since Mediacom had some kind of malfunction.  Never mind that, so Mom was pissed at my best friend for not returning the messages, but pissed at my brother for not erasing the 15 minutes of messages that Mom left bitching about something other.

And on the while the big news was Steve Jobs dead from cancer at age 56 on Wed which may have been the biggest shocker of the year.  I guess without Jobs' knowhow, we wouldn't have the internet or the computer as we know it today.  Or the Ipad, or I Phone or I Pod, and many other wonderful things.  I knew he died but since i had a nasty slash on my finger couldn't type that out.  Thank God for copy and paste otherwise there would have been no top ten of the week or it would have been late.  I could get Jeff Higgins from Groove Sandwich to do a top ten next time if he feels like it, he probably would have been more rock but I always enjoyed Farce The Music's guy as he tries to find the next big country thing and has to weed through the Jason Aldean country cornsters that is "country".  But next week, ole Crabby will return with a top ten that returns you to the familiarity of what is music to me.  Which does include country at times.

No comment on Hank Williams Jr being bounced from Monday Night Football by calling Obama the enemy on a half drunk half drugged commentary on FOX the other day.  Hell he did look drunk or pissed that his woman didn't get him any that day.   I like some of Hank Jr's stuff but he really hasn't come up with anything of note in the past 10 years and I know I'm sick of hearing All My Rowdy Friends Are Coming Over on MNF games.  But the redneck country boy will survive, unless he falls off the mountain after another tirade about the President.

And on the subject about Hank 3,  Hank Jr's estranged son I bought his 2 CD set and still can't get into it.  Certainly while Hank Jr talks about being an outlaw, Hank the 3rd is the true outlaw and even though the 77 minute Gutter Town is scattershot with bizarre sound effects and weirdness to have images of Rob Zombie, the music on it is mostly Cajan with Tom Waits and Les Claypool adding their weird fun to it.  Good for a listen or two. 

I'm sure the ratings for this month will return us back to the usual 600 views or less before the tracker came on board and oh well I guess.   However I had to be surprised at the 3 views this week for the Randy Cliffs Trixie Trailer Sales Blog, one of the best albums that nobody has ever heard from, unless they found a copy for a dollar in the bargain bins at Half Priced Books.  It remains rock and roll fun, more fun than whatever SPIN or Rolling Stone or Pitchfork Media touts.  So perhaps the world might be ready for Train Hits Truck Never Been There for the next forgotten favorites.  Depends if and when I get time to do that.

I see the snows had hit parts of Flagstaff yesterday and I'm sure we'll get our share of the white shit but for now the weather has been great, the leaves are turning color and things are looking good here.  I'm sure I'll be back with the next installment of Top Ten Memories and see where the road leads.  Apparently things are going according to plan here judging by the spam crap in the comments section.

Good thing I got approval control eh? 

No comments: