Thursday, October 27, 2011

Music Of My Youth-Pop Fluff

The 70's was such a wonderful time that you can hear just about everything on AM, whereas the album rock and underground stuff was happening on FM and basically I never ventured up much on the FM scale.  Most of the stations were Muzak or Religious Hoo Ha.  But at that time, I lived in a 45's AM radio world.

If you were a girl back around 1970 thereabouts, you loved Donny Osmond and The Osmond but if you were a boy that liked that, you would be called a pussy and a few other choice words.  The girl that I was walking home from school had every Osmond album that came out and I'm sure Bobby Sherman and The Partridge Family too.  The Osmonds actually did have some listenable stuff, Yo Yo and Crazy Horses was a guilty pleasure but when Down By The Lazy River or One Bad Apple started playing up, I would change the station.  Sometimes my friends would make requests to the local station for crappy music. me wanting to hear 3 Dog Night while Craig Rothmeyer called up and requested The Candy Man.

I took my rock and roll seriously back then, with new singles by Elton John, or Led Zeppelin or 3 Dog Night to be big events of that week and poo pooing The Carpenters or Bobby Sherman or David Cassidy and The Partridge Family.  But there was plenty of god awful crap from one hit bands.  Stay Awhile by The Bells, Mammy Blue by The Pop Tops, fucking bloody awful. Chirpy Chirpy Cee Cee by Mac and Katie Kasoon.  The K Tel collections of 22 Explosive Hits pretty much sums up the AM radio playlist. Or Rhino's late Have A Nice Day Series.  So anyway,  here's a few artists from that by gone era, that made an impact on radio but to me didn't amount to much.

Olivia Newton-John    If Not For You, was a fine song and remains my favorite Olivia single, it sounded great from the AM side of things.  Let Me Be There and If You Love Me (Let Me Know) were good back to back country sounding songs with a flirty bass singer on the chorus.  Then gave the world the odious Have You Never Been Mellow or worse I Honestly Love You which may have been the inspiration for Debbie Boone's You Light Up My Life.   She got versatile, scoring big with You're The One That I Want with John Travolta for the Grease movie and then hooking up with Jeff Lynne and ELO for Xanadu.  Her last listenable single was 1976's Come On Over.  Then went dance music with Physical and worse Soul Kiss.  She tried a comeback in country with Back With A Heart in 98 which would have been fine but had to reprise I Honesty Love You again.

Paul Anka   Donny Osmond covered a few of his old 50's song (Puppy Love, Lonely Boy) so I guess we can consider Anka to be part of the 70s' pop fluff.   Anka started out at ABC Paramount and the redid some of his hits for 21 Golden Hits  for RCA to which I do like Lonely Boy (Anka's version).  I also think Anka was more in tune with Vegas Pop then actual rock and roll although he scored a freak hit with Jubilation  for Buddah in 1973  to which I enjoyed so much I bought the album as a 99 cent cut out.  Nothing else on that album is equal to the title track which works as a 4 minute single but as the full 7 minute version the arrangement get to be pompous as hell.  And then he may have made the most single puke inducing record of the 70s, You're Having My Baby for United Artist in 1974 which may be more icky than You Light Up My Life.  He did better in 2007 making a album called Rock Swings and using some of modern rock better known songs (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Oasis) into a standard swing music that works a bit.  And repeated to a more lesser success on Classic Songs: My Way.    One really doesn't need a Paul Anka overview but for the good and bad, 30th Anniversary Collection  has most of it.  21 Golden Hits isn't the actual original recordings but I grew up listening to it.  The 30th Anniversary Collection remains all the Paul Anka you can stomach, I did wish that the 45 edit of Jubilation could have been used and you'll have to fast forward through You're Having My Baby, one of those songs that are so un PC in this day and age.  

Osmonds/Donny Osmond    They could do a credible white boy version of the Jackson 5 (One Bad Apple, Double Lovin), hell they even impressed Lars Urich of Metallica to steal Crazy Horses from the internet for his own enjoyment.  That and Joe South's Yo Yo ensures them to be more metal than Limp Bizkit.  For more fun and games find their 21 Hits Special Collection on Curb.

Carpenters:  Lush Harmonies, singles that did sound good on the radio but they never did much for me. I do give them props for covering Klaatu Calling Occupants in 1975.  Great singles band although Sing with the children's choir does make me want to pull my hair out.

Partridge Family/David Cassidy    The Cowsills had better songs.  And the songs worked better on the TV show than on the turntable.  Songs I could listen to were Friend And A Lover from the Notebook LP (and a failed hit in 1972) or I Woke Up In Love This Morning  (my aunt had those 45s).  I did locate their Greatest Hits that Arista threw out and I still find that some of their songs are bubble gum fun. The late David Cassidy did embrace power pop with his live cover of the Beatles Please Please Me, which made me think he had more substance than what I gave him credit for.  

Helen Reddy:  In 1973 the underground FM station played Delta Dawn for some odd reason.  Sounded good at the time I guess.  More of a pop singer than rocker, two interesting albums she recorded for Capitol, Long Hard Climb and the Kim Fowley 1977 Ear Candy throw a few left curves.  Her strengths remain the ballads though.


More Pop Fluff:

Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast-Wayne Newton 1972
Something's Wrong With Me-Austin Roberts 1972
Don't Say You Don't Remember-Beverly Bremmers 1971
Precious And Few-Climax 1972
The Candy Man-Sammy Davis Jr. 1971
Torn Between Two Lovers-Mary McGregor 1977
Billy Don't Be A Hero-Bo Donaldson & The Heywoods 1973
You Light Up My Life-Debby Boone 1978
Reunited-Peaches & Herb 1979
Oh Babe What Would You Say-Norman Hurricane Smith 1973

5 comments:

Starman62 said...

Wow, how I remember those days! I remember hearing Jo Jo Gunne's Run Run Run way back, or Midnight Man by James Gang, both from around that time. I was collecting Beatle LPs from about '68 on...then later got into the Bread stuff, which was all over the radio. (But then took a funny leap from Bread to Black Sabbath in 1973, go figure). I remember hearing No Matter What by Badfinger and wondering if it was a new Beatles single. I was born in '62, so a younger guy to some, and an old fart to others, but the more I am alive, the more I realize what a kick ass time it was to be born when I was. I got a good taste of late 60s Beatles and psychedelic and pop rock from the Association to Donovan and beyond, grew up in the 70s and dug everything from Zeppelin to the Ramones, got into some of the best 80s (at least from 80 to 85ish), and even grunged out a little in the 90s. Long strange trip, indeed!

I still love so much of that 70s pop stuff. Brandy You're A fine Girl might repulse some people, but I am instantly transported to the waning days of the summer of 1972.

Another one was Moonlight Feels Right by Starbuck...I hear that one and I might as well be on the Starship Enterprise and I've been beamed down to Lincoln City on the Oregon coast circa summer 1976.

I remember others:

Joanne-First National Band
How Do You Do-Mouth and Macneal
Which Way You Going Billy-Poppy Family
Never ending Song of Love-Delaney and Bonnie
Look What They've Done to my Song , Ma-Melanie

Not all of it great, but sure to transport you to those times if you are as old or older than I am.

Anyway, you get the picture. Pop fluff is alright if it is executed right. I heard No Matter What by Badfinger again tonight for the 896th time. It never ceases to amaze me how perfect that pop fluff single is. I think they outBeatled the Beatles on that one. Three minutes of pure pop perfection. And not just rock either. Wichita Lineman, and other crossover hits wield that same transportable power.

Anyway, enough of my rambling for now. Love you brother. You take care now, and keep the great posts coming!

R S Crabb said...

Hey Starman

Always great to hear from you in these waning times and enjoying reading your thoughts too. Love ya too bro!

Funny thing about AM radio back in those days was that the Pop bands and teen idols added something to the nostalgia. I can't remember last week or even yesterday but damn i can still remember Ding Dong Rothmeyer calling to request Candy Man!

Badfinger did get mucho airplay with No Matter What in 1970 on KCRG (still does today on rock radio or classic rock or oldies) but I think the only time I heard Jo Jo Gunne was when I was in Illinois visiting Grandma and WLS played it. But I think the AM stations here played a lotta Teenie Bopper stuff which pretty much a station changer. I didn't include Badfinger since they had more substance than Olivia Newton John or Paul Anka since as a child growing up I made more fun of them but I do admit that Crazy Horses was pretty good from the Osmounds.

I did leave a lot out. Looking Glass Brandy is worthy, and the album really has some outstanding stuff on it, Catherine Street, Jenny Lynn, Golden Rainbow. The second album wasn't that great but it's hard to figure that Looking Glass would become Starz and reinvent themselves a couple years later.

In the age of the internet, I still think that the music you/I grew up listening to was the best music and best of times. Cuz every new 45 from a band we like was a big event. And getting on a bike and go uptown to buy 45s was big too. Back then there was many places to buy 45s.

Yer right, sometimes a single from that era can take me back to I can feel the sunrise, going to school and hearing Brandy or 3 Dog Night or even the dreaded Candy Man and knowing where I was when they played it. I did have Moonlight Feels Right on 45 but I think it got cracked, no worries I have it on a Time Life Hits Of The 70s set. Fun times indeed. Cheers!

drewzepmeister said...

Ok ok, I'll admit to being an Olivia Newton-John fan back in the day. Loved "Let Me be There", "If You Have Ever Been Mellow", and "The Banks of the Ohio". Gotta remember, my folks were not into the Beatles, Stones and such. They were into the Barry Manilow, John Denver and Marty Robbins thing. It wasn't til the late '70's that I got into KISS then evolved into Led Zeppelin and Rush to what I've been listening to these days, I have my friends to thank for that....

R S Crabb said...

Nothing wrong with the guilty pleasures Drew on ONJ ;) Most of the songs listed on the Pop Fluff are something I wouldn't listen to or didn't have. They were product of the times that are the legends that made K Tel what it was. I know our fifth grade teacher was into The Carpenters and she would let us play some of our music from time to time. Which meant I bought out the 3 Dog Night and Led Zep Immigrant Song. Still fun times when I think about those long ago days. Cheers!

TAD said...

Ah Crabby -- There's some great stuff listed here. There's also some real crap that I won't listen 2 today in the privacy of my own home. But keep it coming. You needta do more Guilty Pleasures/nostalgia writing like this.
Wish I coulda ridden my bike 2 go buy the latest 45's. Then maybe I wouldn't've bugged the crap outta my parents! More please....