Sunday, October 30, 2011

End Of Month Thoughts-October

Selected issues:

The return of Beavis & Butthead was somewhat fun but I do miss the little dumbasses ripping up bad videos.  They would have a field day with the crap that passes for music on top forty.  I may have been more interested in Good Vibes, the animated cartoon that followed B and B.  Granted, the hour of those cartoons was the most I watched MTV on a straight hour basis since a Spungebob Squarepants marathon a few years ago.  Which isn't saying all that much.  I am also beginning to sour on The Family Guy, which Quigmeyer is found hanging but still lives and then takes out his sister's abusive boyfriend later in the show.  Always been a big Family Guy fan but this episode just made me feel weirded out and not in a good way.  One thing to push the envelope, it's another when it begins to not be a funny show.  I'm sure Mr. McFarlane will bounce back but if he continues to go down the road like last night's show I may have to watch something else.

In Living Colour is coming back on FOX although the original cast has moved on the bigger and better things.  I doubt if Jennifer Lopez returns as a Fly Girl though.

The Iowa Hawkeyes continue to frustrate and annoy as they blew a 21-10 lead and lost by one point to a Minnesota team that was 1-6.  And for another year Floyd of Rosedale remains up in Minneapolis whereas the bad Hawkeyes defense can eat crow instead of getting the bronze pig home where it should be but then again Minnesota showed they wanted it more than the Hawkeyes, whose offense had three overthrown balls and a QB being stopped just shy of a first down.   Road doesn't get any easier with Michigan and Michigan State coming into town.  On a flip side Arizona State blew out Colorado 48-10, and Iowa State blew out Texas Tech in Lubbock 41-7.

The ratings are better than last month, thinking that we'll pull about 970 views for the month, maybe more.  I don't forsee going over 1,000 views but one never knows.  Most viewed of the month outside of the Brains Blog was The Crabbys with 15 views.  Sick Of Summer Blog refuses to die.  Big thanks to TAD for his insightful blogs on the the Schlocky Hits of the 70s  http://tadsbackupplan.blogspot.com/2011/10/more-schlocky-1-hits.html

I think Tad took it a bit further and added more crappy songs of the past.  Typically, the songs of the classic rock schlock era had earworms that would lay in your head for days but when we were up at Godfather's Pizza last night, KDAT had to play that GD Pink song Fucking Brilliant while we were there and the song got stuck in my head most of that night.  Dammit Steve next time we're up there, at least change it to something other than the monopoly that is KDAT.  Crap that is Cumulus approved.  Fuck that.

And we made it through October.  Next up, November.

2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: Thanx as always 4 the plug. Don't think I'll B posting anymore schlocky songs of the past -- it's 2 disappointing as far as what CRAP people will buy....
Open-Mindedness Department: At work this week I actually sat thru a few "current" things that I'd tuned-out B4 -- a sorta Irish thing with some fairly funny lyrics, a hip-hop # about knowing what it's like 2 have the blues (a song that's probly world-famous but I got no IDEA who it was), & a coupla other things. Oh, & some woman who does a really pretty, intense version of Velvet Underground/Lou Reed's "Sweet Jane." Don't know who the artists R, but the verdict is: Not COMPLETELY terrible.
Still havta tune-out a couple girl-with-piano & girl-with guitar tunes. (Is 1 of those Adele? Really intimate & sorta overwrought? What is an Adele anyway?)
Next up: Lady Gag-me!

R S Crabb said...

Howdy TAD

I think the Sweet Jane your referring to is probably The Cowboy Junkies who does a echoey slow version of it. I think I had that in a top ten or two back in the past.

Rest assured that as long as there's Cumulus Radio, there will be crap playing at one time. I think we only touched the surface of the Schlock of the 70s or 60s and while some of it still remains fun to hear, the majority of it still sucks. And I still can't believe Pussy Rothmeyer requested Candy Man that day in 1972, when I told him to request Three Dog Night... ;)