Sunday, January 9, 2011

WOW, Thank You

I just want to take the time to say thank you to my cult following and the word must be getting spread out since I noticed that I am getting a bigger spike in readership. I'm sure there must be a word of mouth going on at there at the Remroom in Russia or those who clicked on the link at Drew's Odds And Sods and Funderglass I think everybody for at least checking out to see what's going down in the music world from an old music bluff who likes his tunes from the last 6 decades out there.

It used to be back in the old days that if you searched for an album or Cd you have to go take your chances at the local music store, before the internet came and made it much easier to find that obscure single or album. Case in point: in 1975 I looked over God's Green Acre for a copy of Katfish Dear Prudence and didn't find one till a 1982 trip to a AZ record store finally found a scratched up DJ copy. Now you can hear it via You Tube. The internet is a wonderful thing unless you own a record store and striving to stay alive, then it's not so great. Living in this town if I want a cd than I have to hope that Wally World or Best Buy or Target has it. Or hopefully if Half Priced Books has a copy, otherwise I have to order it from the web since gas prices are now over three bucks a gallon and driving to the better stores take at least a half tank of gas.

As we begin our 7th decade of rock and roll, I don't have much hope for the new bands out there but there's still enough of the old music yet to be discovered so I don't think there'll ever be a shortage of music. If you haven't heard it, it's new to you. True I have enough music in my collection to last a couple years all told but it's hard to break a habit of going to Goodwill or HP Books to see what they have in the buck bins. And sometimes I do find interesting artifacts. And sometimes I'll share them with my GF to see what she thinks of them.

When I started blogging in 2003, the rules were like they are today: comment on music, make a top ten and see if anybody cares or follows. And so far, I don't have the high ratings nor X rated commentary of some of them. Nor use the 20 dollar words that Robert Christgau uses for his reviews but basically this comes from the mind of myself. Sometimes I get a reaction from some of the readers if I make a bash of some band on a song that matters. The fact is that what I write comes from my perspective and if those who disagree or want to start arguments are advised to start their own site if they don't like what they read. I love reading reviews from the likes of Christgau or Mark Prindle or the fools at Rolling Stone or SPIN, doesn't mean I agree with them all the time but sometimes I'm convinced to buy a 4 star album from the sources and see if I agree with them or not. But more often I come to conclude that Prindle is right a lot more than the Pitchfork or Rolling Stones fools.

I don't take a lotta stock in what I hear for new rock or modern rock anymore. I think the country artists of today have a bit more lasting value but I still remain very choicey in what to get. And sometimes I can be wrong in first assuming. Miranda Lambert is that one singer songwriter that I misjudged; thought she was another beautiful blonde just in there for looks but on a second listen and hearing Kerosene the first time, realized that this woman had substance in her songwriting and rooted for her to succeed in making it in Nashville. She certainly has gone further than the winner that Nashville Star season she was part on, Buddy Jewell. Whereas Jewell disappeared after two albums, Lambert has gotten more and more better following. And she remains more down to earth, unlike others I will not name. It's funny how five years ago Gretchen Wilson was on top of Nashville, now it seems like Wilson is a afterthought, and it's too bad. She actually made a very good album last year that nobody bought. And Wilson does wail away on her version of Barracuda, that old 1977 hit for Heart that you can hear on Gretchen's Greatest Hits.

This site, I don't expect to be in the top 10 or 100 or even 1000 in the rating list at Blogspot. It's basically another website for me to document what I'm hearing or what is going on at the time. I rarely toot my own horn on other sites, sometimes I will report the link at Twitter just to see how many who actually reads the stuff but so far 144 hits on the Best of 2010 link and better than average ratings on the last couple blogs encourages me to keep blogging and keep writing bout the obscure song or band, or sticking an overplayed number on the top ten. But with 28 reads on my last top ten blog and 18 on yesterday's posting of the Lost Decade albums shows that there is an audience that reads them. Somebody actually keyed in Fresh Air, the 1973 country rock band that made one album for Columbia so I'm not the only one out there that remembers this band, so it's a good thing to talk about a band that is barely remembered in this day and age.

So we'll see where this leads and what the next top ten will be. I have been listening to a lot more music lately and it will show on the next top ten. I can't say if we'll get more people to read this, or they will get bored and move on to something other. People do have short attention spans nowadays, but I'm sure I'll still be blogging about something that tickles my fancy. It's what I do best. I think.

Thanks for your support.

3 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: I still liketa hit Goodwill now & then, if I can afford it -- in fact I plan 2 visit them on Tuesday. (My nearest really good used record store is 25 miles away.) Sometimes I don't KNOW what I want, so I can't find it at Amazon -- but I'll know when I SEE it, if ya know what I mean....
& hey, Blogger RATES blog sites...? Why didn't anybody mention this before....

R S Crabb said...

I like going to Goodwill with a open mind. Here in town we have the best Goodwills in terms of music, the stores in other cities usually are picked clean. Best record stores are 40 miles away from here so it's either Goodwill or Half Priced Books for the oddity. I'm like a child at christmas when I do find cool things. That's why I bargain hunt! ;)

Anonymous said...

Someone even gets me to go into the stores. Kinda interesting what you'll find.