Monday, January 24, 2011

The big five Oh.

It's official.

At 10:50 my time I hit the big fifty mark. Fifty years old. Fifty times around the sun.

I can't say if this was extraordinary, just basically another day. Spent it at Pizza Ranch during the buffet with my mom, then going over and throwing the frisbee with Maggie May the 11 year old wonderdog. Then to the bank, cash my paycheck and paying a visit to Bruce at the pawnshop but since he was busy and not in a good mood I moved back over to my 2nd home Half Priced Books and assorted Goodwill and Stuff Etc in search of bargains. Just another day in the life of Crabby.

In some ways it is a special event. I outlived a few of my favorite idols and musicians. Jimi Hendrix, Keith Moon, John Bonham, Buddy Holly never got this far in life even through they made a big contribution to music. It is the halfway point to 100 years. I'm sure my life is more than halfway through, maybe 75 percent perhaps but that just speculation. But I do know a couple times I almost bought the farm. Once on a icy road in 1978 going way too fast and then spinning out of control and somehow not crashing into the ditch and the other when my appendix almost blew up and had to have emergency surgery. But here I am.

The first 25 years of life was slow going but the last 25 have been a blur and being on the net most of the time had something to do with losing track of time. But there's still so much to do and so much to discover that I really wish I can have 25 more years tacked on this life in order to complete my musical journey but that's up to the Higher Power.

Jerry Scott said once that you turned 30 it was borrowed time but I really think once the big 50 comes around you begin to keep track of your time left. Still I waste my way too much on TV and sports and seem to neglect the musical side of things but after the first of this year I was going to make a better effort to listen to more music and I think I have done that although I'm sure Nicole would have requested more music instead of those GD football games. I'm not sure if I'll be reviewing much new music, I'm not buying anything digipack which means unless Social Distortion or Greg Allman has it on vinyl it ain't going be in my collection (unless it's used). But I still have a back log of archives and old cds to get me through the rest of these years.

From this point onward, I'm sure we'll be losing a few more before it's all over but I do enjoy & treasure the friends I have met online and in real time. Even the Lone Crab acknowledges his friends out there. But it's business as usual and I have found some stuff in the 2 dollar bins at Half Priced Books I'm checking out right now.

Somebody's gotta do it, right?

4 comments:

drewzepmeister said...

Well Happy Birthday Mr. Smith! Hope your day was well celebrated by a bunch of GREAT bargains!

R S Crabb said...

Thanks Drew. It was a good day. Found a couple things in the dollar bins at the pawnshop (Aldo Nova, Neil Young Prairie Wind). It got me out of the house although I wished we had more decent music stores in town.

therealbrooksie said...

Happy belated birthday Crabby! I'm so sorry I forgot your big day; as I get older (remember, I'm older than you!) my memory is getting worse and worse...need to start doing some crosswords or something.

Anyway, hope you had a fantastic big five oh!

R S Crabb said...

Smooooch! ;)