Thursday, January 27, 2011

Rolling On-More Albums Of My Youth

As the 70's become more of a fading dream, like my memory I have omitted some of the albums that shaped my youth. If you noticed that I didn't include anything before 1975 or after 1979 simply of the fact yes I did play pre 75 stuff the albums, I just left with the stuff released at the time I was in high school. Otherwise the list would be much longer.

Call it select memory loss but I do remember certain albums that did stand out. One while talking to Janice my so called High school sweetheart one night she was playing The Ramones in the background which threw a curve. I didn't think she was into that type of music. I wasn't much into the Sex Pistols till I finally bought Never Mind The Bollocks and found that actually rocked pretty good. For the most part, most of my classmates were listening to KISS (although Russ might deny that, he can't deny that he dressed up and played air guitar to a KISS song playing in the background during the Quill show. Or that he sang Mandy by Barry Manilow. Or my friend Doug playing Singing In The Kitchen by Bobby Bare and having a kiddie choir behind him. Or forcing Russ to listen to Evolution by Journey when he wanted to hear Frank Marino Live for the 37th straight time.

Given the circumstances today of what passes for music, I'm glad to say that I lived through the best of times of music, although the best tunes were 10 years removed, 1975-1979 really did have their share of influential value to this day. Of course, while making the first list, I left off a few more albums that provide quality driving time (although on 8 tracks but later on CDs). But as a teenager 1975-76 I was mostly buying 45s. But ended up having to buy the albums since the 45s that came out on Atlantic or Columbia or WB got scratchy after 10 plays. But some bands that did have albums out, I didn't listen to since I didn't like them that much (Rush, Molly Hatchet comes to mind). But did later. And there were a few misfires along the way (Tuff Darts, Village People, Fotomaker) but that was the 70s for ya. We went from extreme to another on the next platter played at high school dances or at home.

I'm not saying that the high school years were the best years of my life (they were not) but the music did get me through the day. Even back then I did find them whenever I could. Although the 8 tracks were the worst entertainment value (If you come across the Blue Chrysalis 8 track of Robin Trower's Bridge Of Sighs, you will get a very bad edit of Little Bit Of Sympathy to which the lead guitar at the end got spliced in twice!) I think we did okay.

More forgotten favorite albums

Boz Scaggs-Silk Degrees
REO Speedwagon-REO, You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish, Nine Lives
UFO-Strangers In The Night
Thin Lizzy-Live And Dangerous, Jailbreak, Black Rose-A Rock Legend
Ducks Deluxe-Don't Mind Rocking Tonight
Wire-Pink Flag, 154
The Sensational Alex Harvey Band-Live
The Doobie Brothers-Takin It To The Streets, Best Of The Doobies
Cheap Trick-Heaven Tonight, Live At Budokan, Dream Police
Alan Parsons Project-Tales Of Mystery & Imagination, I Robot
Rusty Weir-Don't It Make You Wanna Dance
Jim Capaldi-Short Cut Draw Blood
Joe Walsh-But Seriously Folks, Best Of Joe Walsh
Boston & Don't Look Back
Marshall Tucker Band-Long Hard Ride
The Rockets-Turn Up The Radio
The Sports-Don't Throw Stones
The Rumour-Frogs, Sprouts, Clogs & Krauts
Beckmeier Brothers
Flash And The Pan
Fleetwood Mac, S/T, Rumours, Tusk
Rolling Stones-Black & Blue, Some Girls
Crack The Sky-Animal Notes, Live Sky
The Kinks-Sleepwalker
Neil Young-Rust Never Sleeps

No comments: