Saturday, November 27, 2010

Unfinished Biz-It's About Music-Too many cds, Big Ten

As a music lover of the past (Basically 60s-70s) I came across a fairly new website that celebrates the lesser knowns. Or remember those bands whose album you saw in the 50 cent clearance bins at K Mart years ago or you got those promos for free at Pigeons in Cedar Rapids? Sure you don't, your memory doesn't go back that far. It's called It's About Music and these dudes have albums on CD that I would never think of seeing the day? Robey, Falk & Bod? Kentucky Gambler that album with a killer version of City Life? Sign me up bro! Natural Gas? That super group with Joey Molland, Mark Clarke, Peter Wood and Jerry Shirley? Speaking my language. Anyway this is the website that you have to copy and paste. Also, check out the vinyl listening station to which you can hear the first Sutherland Brothers & Quiver album Slipstream and a few others. Good music from the past dedicated to the complete audiophile. That's me...and you too.   Needless to say It's About Music is a thing of the past but thank goodness I got that Robey, Faulk and Bod album on CD now.

I spent most of yesterday trying to make room on my shelves for more cds that i have laying in stacks in front of me and had to use the cold room for the less played. I'm thinking that I'll be making a donation to the Salvation Army for some of them. Yesterday when I went to The Salvation Army I have kinda hoping that somebody didn't pick up the Alpha Band LP that I donated last week but it was long gone along with all of the other cds and LPs that I donated. Kinda surprised somebody picked up the Dionne Farris and Saigon Kick that quickly. I guess it all goes to show that despite what Bob Lefsetz tells you, there are people still buying cds and LPs. Not everybody is getting on that IPOD or IPAD wagon, although I'm sure it will be a matter of time before I invest in one of those and start transferring some of my favorite albums to it.

At this point, I have to decide if I'm going to continue to buy new music as well as seek the stuff that I overlooked. Most new albums I only played once or twice and then filed away. Sorry to say nothing stands out, can't get into the autotuned fools or whiner rock that KRNA or Rock 108 plays. And when I buy it's mostly in those Goddam digipaks that never stack right or you scratch the hell out when you take them out of the flimsy packaging. Bruce Springsteen or the idiots at Apple Corp might think its cute but they are not. Either make it vinyl size or make a standard jewel case.

This year which was supposed to be a final year and not expecting to find much, has been one of the busiest and most interesting of CD and album finds. Beyond my dreams and going up to Pawn America last month for the dollar cd special really put the finds over 500 for the year. And then finding some MFSL gold discs for two bucks at Stuff Etc was even more better. Not that I cared much for the Heart album of 1986 but at least when I traded it in, got enough back for gas money. The lure of the hunt continues to call me whenever it happens but my compulsive obsession just about qualifies me for the next Hoarders show next year.

So I'll guess I'll be going through the stuff in the cold room and then go donate some more and try to free up more space. But we all know I'll fill it all back up before we know it.

Good to see my chat buddy from The Roost Starman pop in here making a comment. You know I do miss chatting up the tunes with y'all but I have to admit that I got bored with the friday night chats and trying to talk tunes when nobody wanted to. It's not like it was 10 years ago when we would stay up till morning light and having a good time. Even with my girlfriend coming in for support nobody would say a whole lot and we weren't getting much new music talkers in there, unless they were young folks looking to get laid and talk about Nickle back. Joe was the only other person that would keep things going but I think even he got tired of it all. I don't know if and when we'll do it again. Just seems like a waste of time if we do.

Facebook has gotten me in touch with a few of my forgotten friends of the past. Last week I started chatting with Cindy Mast, who used to be Cindy Lemere. I remember her way back in 69 when we first moved to Cedar Rapids and she was going to Monroe. Then we caught up a few years later when they moved to Marion and was part of either fifth or sixth grade. I worked with her in the dishwashing area at the old Applegate's Landing place 32 years ago. Last time I seen her was at her wedding way back in 1983. But somehow she came across my profile and we talked a bit about the past but not a whole lot. That's the power of Facebook. You never know who your going to meet from the past in the present.

So much for the disappointment of The Iowa Hawkeyes this season. What started out to be a promising year turned out to be a joke and losing not only the Heartland Trophy to Wisconsin but today losing Floyd Of Rosedale to a 2-9 Minnesota squad that outplayed the Hawkeyes in every way possible. I have never witnessed a team that did a complete meltdown in November and went 1-3, and should have been 0-4. The defense sucked, no linebackers and playing a Cover 2 setup and no blitzing that everybody figured it out and promptly kicked the Hawk's ass every damn game. Even Indiana outplayed them. Couldn't beat the damn Northwestern Wildcats and the much hated Ohio State Buckeyes. And then watching Minnesota give Floyd of Rosedale a new home. Most of the teams in the Big Ten I like and will root for if they're not playing Iowa. Wisconsin Badgers are 2nd and everybody else to a lesser extent expect the hated Buckeyes and Wildcats. If last season was memorable, this season was forgettible, a defense overrated and a coach that is sadly out of it, Norm Parker needs to retire. I think the weekend that I went up on the Madison Bargain Hunts were the week that Wisconsin beat Ohio State and then the Hawkeyes. I can't blame the prospect for decommitting to Iowa and going to Madison, I would too. So, I'll will be rooting for the Badgers in the Rose Bowl, that's where my heart is at. And yes, I totally enjoyed Wisconsin whopping Northwestern all over Camp Randall 70-23. At least somebody knows how to beat Northwestern, unlike K.F. the overpaid Iowa coach.

As for the Hawkeyes, going to Arizona isn't so bad. That is if you go to a bowl game or at least show up for it and surprise surprise play defense.

No comments: