Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Hot Dog Hosannas

Some news of note:

Eastside Records in Tempe are closing their doors after this year. They were about a block away from Zia's on University and although I didn't frequent them as much as Zia's they do stand out for having a good selection of blues cds that I bought a few years ago. Yet another record store closing down.

A long time ago, I bought a punk album from a band of 9 year olds called Old Skull in the 2.88 section at the old Camelot Records store in Westdale. The record was called Get Outta School and they did made the MTV news around 1988. Basically it was a bunch of 9 year olds making noise and calling it music, hell i did that once too. Anyway, Jean Paul Toulon who did the "vocals" was found dead earlier this month at the age of 30. Cause is unknown but it sounded like a drug overdose. His dad Vern died at the age of 46 in 2001. Get Outta School is one of those albums that you have to listen to once, just to hear it. Nevertheless, that album did garner some airplay on the college stations in the late 80's. RIP Jean Paul.



Vinyl King has expressed an interest of doing a top ten guest appearance. Whenever ya want bro, just send one our way and we put it out, just like we do in Multiply dot com. But in the meantime, this is what's happening on the Top Ten of The Week.

1. Courage-The Tragically Hip 1993 I don't necessarily buy the fact that good music died around The Joshua Tree but rather when Lee Abrams took his fact finding lists of songs that people wanted to hear and never bothered to update it after 1985. I still believe there's plenty of good music that isn't played on the radio anymore. Certainly Napster didn't kill music, it enhanced it before the major labels and the RIAA fucked around and shut them down and sued everybody. The Tragically Hip are one of the biggest bands out of Canada that never broke big in the US, at times they sounded like a Canadian REM but their albums were spotty at best. Last album I reviewed from them, Phantom Container was so bad, I listened halfway and then donated it to Goodwill soon afterward. For me, their best album was Fully, Completely which had this top 30 album cut, which turned out to be their last for the US MCA. But they have recorded for Atlantic, Sire, Universal again, Zoe and a few others. Pick and choose at your own risk.


2. Lick My Decals Off Baby-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band 1970 The good doctor has been too weird for local tastes and Trout Mask Replica is even more out there than Lick My Decals Off Baby which is more accessible but I'm sure my GF ain't going to listen to this. I'm sure the first words out of her mouth would be "what the fuck is this?" Had to album once, then traded it in for the CD and then sold the CD off and then spent many a time trying to get another copy back. It has been reissued on vinyl from Rhino Records on 180 gram vinyl. And still sounds unlike anything you heard before.

3. Donna Everywhere-Too Much Joy 1992 Always loved these punk pop pranksters and they made three wild and crazy albums for Giant/Warners before being dropped. Part of the fun was reading their liner notes. This did get played a couple times via KRNA or KRUI but outside of that......

4. Lonely Street-Andy Williams 1959 If you pick and choose some of his stuff, he did managed to make some bluesy and gloomy songs of note. The English Beat covered his Can't Get Used To Losing You so he can't be all that bad right? Probably after Buddy Holly, the only other artist that overdubbed his vocals. In my folks house, I was more familiar with the Johnny Tollotson version but next to Can't Get Used To Losing You, this is my 2nd favorite Andy Williams song.

5. Enjoy-The Descendants 1985 Dedicated to the Princess of Farts who pretty explains this song. In fact I wonder if this chick is related to me in some capability. Of course she has her own web sitehttp://www.princessoffarts.com/. Back to the song itself, Milo sings the praises of butt toast and days of wearing the same socks and not changing them. Ickies.




6. Gardenia-Kyuss 1994 Desert metal rock from a band that idolizes Black Sabbath and prog rock in a way. Or is it called stoner rock? Anyway, this band made four albums for Dali/Elektra before calling it a day and Josh Homme went on to form Queens Of The Stone Age. However, lead vocalist John Garcia and form QOTSA castoff Nick Oliveri and drummer Brent Bjork have gotten back together again. From the Welcome To Sky Valley or S/T album which was the biggest selling album in their history. Or their best known.


7. Common Man-The Blasters 1985 Dedicated to the Republican party. Bullshit politicans who try to pass themselves off as common as you and me, but they have better health insurance benefits than you and me.

8. Turn Into Earth-The Yardbirds 1966 From Roger The Engineer LP. Yep they had Eric Clapton and Jimmy Page but they did their best work with Jeff Beck. A very moody piece from that album.

9. Human Cannonball-Webb Wilder 1989 His best known hit which did get some airplay on the rock stations at that time.




10. Kings Of Speed-Hawkwind 1975 From Warrior On The Edge Of Time, the last album to feature Lemmy would move on to form Motorhead. This album was them trying to be prog rock but they did like three chord rock and roll straight on too. Album came out on Atco and is hard to find so your better off trying to find the CD, which has the original version of Motorhead with Lemmy singing lead. Later versions of that song has Dave Brock singing instead.

Happy Thanksgiving. Gobble Gobble Gobble!

8 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby!: Wow, Andy Williams & Hawkwind in the same Top 10?
I grew up on Andy's GREATEST HITS on Cadence & still hava copy in the house, & I'm still a sucker 4 "Canadian Sunset" & "Butterfly" & "Bilbao Song" & "Lonely Street" & a few others, even "Hawaiian Wedding Song"!
Only Hawkwind I've got is HALL OF THE MOUNTAIN GRILL, which is really Xcellent heavy-space-rock, 2nd side is especially killer, w/ the crunching "You'd Better Believe It" & Lemmy & Mick Farren's "Lost Johnny." "Magnu" on WARRIOR is sposta B pretty great, & summa their later stuff like "Hassan I Sahba," "Kerb Crawler," etc. I've heard the Hawklords' album which is kinda a cool mix of heavy & New Wave. Never heard NE of their early stuff or the live SPACE RITUAL. Weird how in the '70s these guys' albums were all over the place as cheap cutouts, & now U hardly ever C 'em NEmore. Ah well, shoulda bot em when I saw em.... Keep rockin! -- TAD.

Anonymous said...

Lick My Decals Off Baby-Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band huh? And you think I'd say WTF? Play it when I'm down there and I'll give you my answer from my mouth!

In fact, why don't you play any of the music that you think that I would question and you'll get a response. I pretty much listen to anything! Except Classical!

R S Crabb said...

Well Dear, i posted the song via my Facebook page so you can judge it for yourself. Why wait when you can hear it from the comfort of your own home? ;)

Starman62 said...

Great blog, Crabby. I've been following it for a while. Hawkwind is one I need to investigate. Hope you had a good turkey day.

R S Crabb said...

Starbro!

Great hearing from you. I certainly miss the fun we all had on the weekend chats and hope you had a nice thanksgiving too.

Hawkwind has been around forever but to these ears their best moments were their United Artists period up till 25 Years On. One Way Records issued their albums in the 90s but my copies kept skipping on me due to crappy Cd manufacturing so I bought the EMI remasters. Plus they do have better sound and bonus tracks.

drewzepmeister said...

The only album from Hawkwind I have in my collection is In Search of Space, a vinyl copy released in 1971. To be honest, I wasn't overly hip on the record. I thought it to be to "spacey" for my tastes...

TAD said...

Hey Crabby: Thanx 4 the Hawkwind History. I know some stuff about them, but not as much as you -- you could probly write the Hawkwind chapter of that book on progressive rock I still hope 2 write someday. Did U know they played for free outside the fence at the 1970 Isle of Wight Festival, & that their song "Silver Machine" went Top 10 in England? & it was an OUT-TAKE from their SPACE RITUAL show....
...I've heard some Beefheart. I actually BOUGHT a used copy of TROUT MASK REPLICA about 30+ yrs ago just outta highschool & didn't know what the HELL it was, traded it off in disgust. Think I still sorta remember "Ella Guru" -- wonder if I could actually HEAR it now...? Heard some of his lighter, funnier stuff offa CLEAR SPOT & THE SPOTLIGHT KID. Not that bad when he's not tryin 2 B so freakin WEIRD ... hmmm, thot I was open-minded....
You DONATE CD's? Well sheez, how bout donatin some 2 ME at.... (lost in transmission)....

R S Crabb said...

hey TAD, yea I remember Hawkwind playing for free at Isle Of Wright and I'm guessing that nobody wasn't much in the mood to hear 30 minute songs playing the same 3 chords! ;)

Drew made a point that they were a bit too spacey for his own tastes and Space Ritual is the most out there spaciest. When Lemmy in the band, I think most of the 10 minute songs were free form jams to which I still enjoy hearing. I think there was a expiration date on their music and anything after Levitation really sounds dated, including their latest to which I thought about buying but after hearing samples, wouldn't play it much.

Trout Mask from Beefheart is even more extreme than the Hawkwind outfit, think Howlin Wolf leading Ornette Coleman and Free Jazz and that's what it sounds like to me. Lick My Decals Off Baby has a bit of structure to it and I like it more than Trout Mask but it's not something that would be on regular rotation on my play list. I think Ted Templeman producing Clear Spot reminds me of Safe As Milk but Beefheart made two turds for Mercury that were disjointed at best. But even when he's commercial he's still not for everybody.