Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Just Say No

Must be wednesday must be another top ten a coming but first.

Two weeks before St Louis and the next bargain hunt.  I know a certain somebody can't wait for that.

21 straight days of no rain.  Not complaining here but I have some squawking from the weatherfucks on the newscast.  Too bad we didn't get this type of weather in August.  Funny thing about September weather is that while it gets warm in the afternoon, once the sun sets everything cools down.  And of course the damn AC in the printing room is about 60 degrees. Time to start wearing long sleeves.

Poor Duwayne Schminkey.  He turned 51 Monday and has to deal with one of his bratty kids.  I read about it in Facebook.  Sometimes when I think that I missed out on the good times of having children, I'll see some 3 year old act up or hear about Austin Schminkey act up and be glad that I made the right decision and just said no.  I know if Austin had my parents, he wouldn't have his fucking cellphone or computer or anything you plugged into the wall, he'd be banished to an empty room.  Damn kids today think they own the world when their parents buy them everything and give em a cellphone.  My folks would have said either you save up and make the monthly payments or you go without.  None of this Kids gotta have it shit.  And then our neighbor across the street Kevin's son who knocked somebody up and now take care of that baby while Jr fucks around on a skateboard and neither him and his GF have a job.  You gotta feel sorry about the poor baby, he's gonna be as smart as he'll ever be when he pops out just before the doctor whacks it in the ass and it's downhill.  I'm all for children, IF you can afford them, IF you can give it guideance, IF you have a stable family, IF you have patience up the wazoo and IF you don't want to sleep eight straight hours anymore in your life.  Perhaps I could have made a great father but then again Ruth Mund thought I was a bad influence on kids when I was watching them at the day care center and I never forgot that.  Or forgiven her for being such a bitch in the time that I volunteered at St. Wincenlisus (i can't spell it sue me) 30 years ago.  Oh well Ruthie, I did my job, too bad you didn't do yours.

And Phil Collins has announced that he's quitting drumming forever due a condiction that playing a certain style has damaged his vertibate.  Such a shame really, Phil really was a great drummer in his own right.  Sure sucks getting old ya know? 

And BTW, the 17th is former Paraphernalia Guitar God Doug Bonesteel's birthday.  There's a 50 percent off Depends coupon with your name on it too bro.

The Top Ten Of The Week.

1.  Don't Pass Me By-The Georgia Satellites 1987  Goddam I love these guys and hooray for them to cover Ringo's version off the white album from The Beatles.  Everybody likes a good boogie tune and the Satellites provide it with gusto.  Nothing against what they play on the radio but the good stuff never seems to get played or gets overplayed.  Never the twain meets on that one.

2.  Metropolis-The Church 1990  You know I completely forgot about this song till I played The Best Of The Church and this song came out of nowhere.  I think it reached number one on the alternative chart in 1990 but I never hear it on the radio anymore.  Maybe mix 96.5 plays it on occasion but shit when I do listen to Mix 96.5 they're playing forgettible overplayed crap.

3.  When My Blue Moon Turns To Gold Again-Elvis Presley 1956   I guess in my old age, I'm returning more to the music that I grew up with and in our family that included lots of Elvis music.  I wouldn't say that Elvis was the BEST of all time but in 1956 he made two albums of high quality rock and blues.  This is from his second album, titled Elvis to which you can get for five bucks at Wally World.  Still recommended to you young folk who wants to know what is real rock.  Unfortunly, once Elvis went into the Army, he never quite made the rock and blues albums like the first two.  And fucking Clambake killed him more than anything else.

4.  Shout Bamalama-Eddie Hinton 1978  Now Margaret from The Brains calls this album Very Extremely Dangerous the best soul album of 1970s and I don't question her on that.  Barry Beckett (RIP) produced this and the Swampers back Eddie up but the problem was that this album came out in the dead of the disco era and it didn't chart.  In fact I didn't know anything bout this cd till I found a copy at Goodwill for three bucks. Amazon copies have fetched it up to 50 bucks a copy.  However, Reel Music, a minor speciality label has reissued this album this week so you won't have to pay an extraordinary price for it.  Margaret made me a copy originally but I think somebody at work copped it and never returned it.

5.  She Is Love-Parachute 2009  This week's new tune from a band that sounds like a cross between Matchbox 20 and Maroon 5 and that band that made Breakfast At Tiffany's.  And if I can't remember that band that made Breakfast At Tiffany's then I know I won't remember these guys 10 years from now, or five, or next week.

6.  Something Good (Is Gonna Happen To You)-Carla Thomas 1967  The Queen of Memphis Soul, Carla Thomas is the daughter of the late great Rufus Thomas and made a few albums for Stax/Atlantic back in the mid to late 60s.  From The Queen Alone, a cd that I found at Goodwill Sunday along with Eddie Hilton and The Beach Boys, Robyn Hitchcock, Steve Forbert and The Shazam.  Guess they must have known I was coming eh?

7.  It Wasn't Me-Chuck Berry 1966  From Fresh Berries the third album that I ever bought.  It was later day Chuck Berry and it didn't sell very well and it really isn't all that great, in fact Chuck didn't alter the music all that much.  My Mustang Ford and Ain't That Just Like A Woman is the same damn song.  But you probably don't know what I'm talking about since you haven't heard neither one of those songs.  It Wasn't Me did appear on Rock and Roll Rarities when MCA was reissuing Chess albums back in the late 80s.  Chuck redid it on the 1979 Atco album Rockit.  This song was the highlight of Fresh Berries.  Later issued along with Chuck Berry In London on a CD from Beat Goes On Records from the UK.

8.  Jayne-The Townedgers 1991  From Diamonds In The Skies their comeback album of 1991, thanks in part to Greg Nutter who lit a fire under Mr. Smith's ass and got him going.  18 years later (can you believe that) it still sounds fine although it was based on a riff by Martin Briley's Salt In My Tears and yes they gave him credit for that.  The Townedgers give credit where its due unlike Kanye West.

9.  Healter Skelter-The Beatles 1968  This may have been the most heaviest song that Paul McCartney has ever written.  Might be even heavy metal if you think about it.  It's about a roller coaster ride but some dumbass named Charles Manson misunderstood that and turned it into something it wasn't.

10.  Too Long In The Wasteland-James McMurtry And The Heartless Bastards 2004  From his live album, McMurtry is the voice of this generation and decade.  When the dust clears from this lost decade, the theme song will be We Can't Make It Here Anymore.  And James does bring up a valid point on Socialized Medicene to which I think they call it Medicare?!?  And we got fucking yayhoos like Chuck Grassley battling the government over health care while he gets kickbacks from the drug manufacturers and the hospitals and such.  He used to care about us about 20 years ago but I think he's been watching too much FOX news and hanging with Dick Cheney.  Maybe someday this government will return to a democracy envisioned by our forefathers but the way things are going, I doubt it.  Fuck Grassley, another senile senator that should have been put out to pasture.

Like bratty kids and worthless politicans, just say no.