Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Hot And Sticky

Nothing like having a leaky bottle of pepsi to leak all over the carpet in the basement.  This is the second time this has happened in as many years.  And there's nothing more pain in the ass then trying to clean up a half bottle of the sticky shit and hope we don't get an ant invasion.  Kept me up past my bedtime and people wonder why I get such a bad mood.  Leave home for a couple days and come back to the same shit that always happens. 

DJ AM, crack addict eh?  Looks like the drugs won out eventually.  Sometimes habits are hard to break, sometimes habits will kill you if they are the wrong habit.  If you think about it Woodstock was the last great free concert we had and just about within a year, give or take a month both Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix would OD due to drugs.  Better to burn out than fade away? I don't think so.

My GF will be happy to know Uncle Kracker will open up for Train on their fall tour to support their new album in October.  On a side note, that three hour phone call cost 104 bucks!  Ouch.  I do wish there was a more comfortable phone out there to use, the ones I have gave me a raging headache at times.

The Frugal Muse bookstore moved across the Beltline to next door to Old Navy in Target Shopping Center on Junction Rd in Madison.  I used to enjoy going to the old location on Mineral Point but since the Exclusive Company (say it with me) has now moved over to State Street, no point of going over that area again, although the Preplayed store on MP Road had 2 dollar cds of varying degree.

The 105.5 FM station Triple M remains a good way to kill between points although what does it mean everytime I hear Born To Run, I just want to change the station? 

And I'm having MSN problems so have to use the IE browser instead.  Pain in the ass if you ask me.

This weeks top ten.

1.   Fox On The Run-Tom T Hall 1976  Originally a top 50 hit for Manfred Mann, somebody thought this would make a nifty bluegrass song to which Tom used for his Magnificent Music Machine album, a record of songs done bluegrass style and this actually worked since I bought the single when it came out.  Copper Creek, a bluegrass label reissued this on CD.

2.  Where I Come From-The New Riders Of The Purple Sage 2009  The hippies have returned!  David Nelson, Buddy Cage and a few hired hands become the new New Riders and make a album of jamtime boogie that we haven't seen in about thirty years. 12 songs making up for 74 and a quarter minites of jamboogie.  And it came out on Woodstock Records.  And I'm sure there's more where that came from.

3.  Head Over Heels/Broken (live)-Tears For Fears 1985  In the deep dark corner of the CD archives is a copy of their Songs From The Big Chair album.  For the expanded edition they forgot to add a single mix of this top twenty hit but they did give us five new agey snoozers that amount to wasted cd space.  TFF, never did follow up this record with anything memorable, at least from what I heard. 

4.  Hear My Train A Comin-Jimi Hendrix 1968  From the wires it is learned that Sony Music/Legacy is the next in line to reissue all those Jimi Hendrix albums all over again, as if the two reissued remasters that MCA/Universal wasn't enough, with bonus deluxe editions that will sell for 30 bucks. ooooooh baby.  Seems like the four major labels don't think there's a Great Depression 2 out there.  Originally this track came from the long deleted Jimi Hendrix Concerts to which Reprise issued in 1982 and on crappy CD ten years later.  I have this on cd but it comes from Castle Communcations, the Charly Records of the 1990s.  Critics seem to like the version on Rainbow Bridge/Blues album but I think I like this one from Decemeber Winterland 1968 show.

5.  Are You Ready For The Country-Neil Young 1972  After all these years I finally bought Harvest in the new remastered version (go figure) and really don't heard all that much difference for me to trade in the other versions of his classic albums.  When you reach my age, you tend to lose some part of your hearing.  That and playing in subpar bar bands will do that as well. 

6.  Da Da Da-youdon'tlovemeidon'tloveyou-Trio 1982  These guys were minimal for the american audience to get but I do have their 1983 Trio And Error album before Trio stuck it big in 1997 with this song used for a VW commercial and generated enough interest to reissue their album again.  Trio made two other albums that I know about but by the time their What's The Password album came out in 1985 nobody cared anymore and Mercury never did issued it in the states.  I wouldn't know about it either had I not come across the cd in Arizona last year.  Kraut Rock?  Consider this Krautpop.

7.  She's A Genius-Jet 2009  Every review I have read has given this Jet album 2 stars. This song is probably the best out of their new album.   But not good enough to warrant a Budweister commerical.

8.  Just Passing Through-George Thorogood & The Destroyers 1999  Lonesome George was always about Hooker and the blues but at this point in his long rock career he was also doing fun rock.  What does it mean when he titled his 1999 album after a Nick Lowe song Half A Boy, Half A Man and Double Shot Of My Baby's Loving he covered.  This song was playing when I went through Platteville on the way to Madison and stopped at the Goodwill for about 5 minites.  And then back on the road again.

9.  Me And You And A Dog Named Boo-Lobo 1971  Sometimes I don't think Lobo ever got his due as a singer songwriter and although this song got lambasted by being overdramatic, it did covered by the likes of Ray Conniff and Stonewall Jackson (his last major top 20 country riff).  What the naysayers don't know is that has a nice hook that is perfect for driving and hanging with your special one.  And sometimes I also think that the majority of music today lacks that hook that sticks in your brain (good or bad) for hours on end.  For TAD, who's a Lobo fan, this one is for you.

10.  Seven Turns-The Allman Brothers Band 1989  And finally a song that pretty much sums up my feeling for the endless ride home.  Tried looking for this album at Madison and couldn't find it (it's in the budget section at Amazon.com or Hastings), this is one of the more prettier and last songs that Dickey Betts wrote in the band that could have found a home on classic rock radio had classic rock radio stopped playing songs after 1982.  It also introduced us to Warren Haynes, one of the keepers of the flame of rock and roll.  I have nothing against Born To Run or Ramblin Man but when our time is getting less and less, I'd rather not spent my final seconds on this planet with the overplayed from 35 years ago.   Even so, there's still a few songs out there that cry out to be rediscovered on their own and without help from the Clear Channel clones of the same 200 songs played.  Which is why Crabb's Top Ten or Wreckless Eric radio comes into play, tapping into the vast amounts of the forgotten hits and album cuts that bring a smile to our face.  Leave the autotune to Mariah Carey and Lil Wayne or Kanye, give me the tunes that come from the heart mistakes included.  For we will remember anything from that past then anything the Autotuners will puke out.  It's called melody. Try thinking some up sometime soon Mariah baby.  Beauty fades but the music never will.