Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Up Yours Match Dot Com

As we continue to do the top ten of the week, I am really getting more and more annoyed of seeing all these Match.com ads all over My Space to the point that I'm no longer comfortable putting any top tens out here.  Ya think My Space got bought out by Match.com for flying fuck's sake.   My Space has been going down the toilet for the last year and it's really beginning to show.

Special thanks to Sassygirl for hosting our top ten.  I think I taught her well in terms of music and such.  I've known her since 2000 and we actually have kept in touch thoughout the years and gotten closer.   No thanks to Match.com, give credit to Mingles.com.

Some random thoughts over the week.

Great seeing my classmates of MHS 1979.  Tim Henderson made a interesting comment that we should do a get together for sunday afternoon drinks every other month and I'm all for it.  I'm sure Alan Heeren agrees too.  The power of Facebook is that the class of 1979 have gotten in touch and probably is a better networking site than this site.  At least Facebook don't have those fucking Match.com zombies staring at you while you type the top ten of the week.

I'm not that interested in the new Weezer, never gotten into them don't plan to start now. I'm just waiting to see if Best Buy will stock the Status Quo album come september 15th.

I have no idea why My Space is given me spam messages when I try to access TAD's blogspot site of music.  perhaps i'll take my business over at Blogspot in the forseeable future but will still keep in touch with what's left of my friends here at My Space if they want to.  Anyway I have two weeks to prepare a top ten since SassyPassy took the weight off me last week.  We'll see where this leads.

1.  Release-Sister Hazel 2009  For a band that peaked with All For You 13 years ago Sister Hazel has continued to carve out a career of alt rock with a side of jamband on the side.  They never went away after Universal dropped them but they jammed on and on this album each and every guy in the band writes at least two songs.  Major labels may not care but I do.

2.  Hello Melinda Goodbye-Five Man Electrical Band 1971  Found their Goodbyes and Butterflies album at Goodwill last weekend looked like the record had a crack in it but it does play.  This was the B side to Signs to course gets airplay on the oldies station.

3.  Liar-Three Dog Night 1971  It's too bad top forty radio is not like it was back when I was in grade school, I heard plenty of music, in fact more music was played then than all these FM stations today.  Like Cable TV we have more channels but less content.  Joy To The World is so much overplayed so I went with the lesser played.  A cover of the Russ Ballard/Argent song and Three Dog Night could find great songs to cover.

4.  If It's Not Love-Rhett Miller 2009  Moving to a Bo Diddley via Buddy Holly beat, Rhett Miller continues to make great albums and good songs that nobody listens to.

5.  Maggie-Redbone 1971  Not every song made it to KCRG, I actually heard this on the Peoria Radio station that my Aunt Virginia used to listen to when she was sunbathing bout 40 years ago.  I think I learn my music buying expierences from my mom and her sisters although I don't think they went to extremes like I do in finding music.  Columbia did a 2 minite edit on this song on Different Strokes, a 19 song sampler that tried to beat K Tel at their own game but pissed me off due to crappy editing.

6.  Love Leads To Madness-Nazareth 1982  This did get some airplay in the early 80s but Nazareth is forever linked to Love Hurts and Hair Of The Dog although not too many ppl could take Dan McCaffery vocals.

7.  Shame On Me-The Bottlerockets 2009  new song from the new album from Festus Missouri's best known rock band.  Grant Alden from No Depression calls the new album uneven but i think I liked it better then he did.

8.  Sad And Beautiful World-The Questionaires 1991  Nope, these guys never made it big, they weren't as radical as Jason and the Scorchers and they were about 15 years too early for the Country popper who are ruling country radio.  These guys were actually Nashville sessionmen that got to made two albums for EMI a label that knows nothing about promoting music and this is off their lost classic, the wishful thinking Anything Can Happen, a title that Leon Russell thought so much of, he called his 1992 album the same title.  And got the same result as The Questionaires did.

9.  Get It In The End-Humble Pie 1980  Steve Marriott, oh man his voice was so shot on this 1980 album On To Victory that critics wondered why the hell ATCO even gave them a contract.  Poorly produced, the album did yield a top forty hit with Fool For A Pretty Face but I always liked this cut, hidden as track 7 on the cd to which I'm sure most people never went that far into this cd.  Sure Humble Pie's flame burned out after Smokin and some of their A n M albums are crap, but at least On To Victory there's a tinge of inspiration.

10. Crazy Circles-Bad Company 1979  and finally a nod to my classmates with this B side to Rock n Roll Fantasy off Desolation Angels, an album that hasn't aged very well last I heard it.  But I do find myself singing to this song out in the car and thinking about 30 years ago when we gradurated from HS and was ready to take on the world.

COMMENTS:
The lovely Liz Chaffe from Lizzy Williams writes:

Hi Crabby! Just stopping by to do some reading of your Top 10. I had a Singer in my band who   played Guitar for Redbone. Not sure if he did or didn't but he had some things to say.

Ever no a Guy named Raven to be in that Band? He played Guitar for them. Never know whats up in L.A. and I'm gullable sometimes. :)

DIGGY KAT:
 omg! Five Man Electrical Band!! lol you know i stumbled across their song Werewolf and that's been the "OMG BEST SONG EVER!" for this month lol (the "omg best song ever" seems to change every month or so though) and under a little more research i didn't realise they had the hit "Signs", knew and loved the song, guess i didn't know who sang it lol however i do remember Tesla's version lol. i just bought FMEB's greatest hits a couple days ago from amazon as well.
Rhett Miller, i have his 2006 cd, wasn't that impressed but i did enjoy Cellular Girl i believe it was called.