Thursday, August 13, 2009

Crabb Bits: Les Paul, 10 Years Of Net Life, Reunions

Today i read with much sadness about the passing the man who gave us the Les Paul guitar, Les Paul who passed away at age 94.  Rock n roll as you know it today wouldn't be the same had Les not invented the LP which many many guitarist have used.  Kinda like of a end of a era eh?

Now onward to this side of the fence.

This weekend marks an era of sorts.  Of course 40 years ago it was Woodstock that became the cultural event of the lifetime, three days of peace and love and music and monsoon storms.  It would have been fun to take part of Woodstock but I only 8 years old and I'm sure had we gone, we probably would have to park our cars about 10 miles out and walk there.  And I'm sure we would have taken the brown acid and ended up getting sick too but at least we could have watched The Who and on the day goin back home having Jimi Hendrix waking us up to The Star Sprangled Banner.

This weekend comes the 30th HS reunion of Marion High School, the wacky class of 1979.  Which seems like a long time ago but it still feels like yesterday that I walked down the grass of Thomas Park Field, trying to hold on to my cap and picking up my diploma.  It's amazing that in my four years of hell we call high school that I go back every five or ten years and we all try to remember the good things and the bad things as well.  I don't think I've learned all that much during our times, some of the teachers tried but most of them really didn't give a flying fuck about us and I got more d minus grades in the last two semesters from worthless teachers than I could care.  The only big highlight was taking over Bangs Bejeckia English class to basically make a bad attempt to become high school senior class president.  Kinda reminds me of those old Lyndon LaRouche infocommericals he did way back then.  I may have gotten two votes but I didn't become class anything the next year.  High school to me was a joke of peer pressuring, trying to avoid drugs, trying to make some basketball team as a reserve and quitting since i didn't like to do exercises and basically never fitting in at any particular spot except for going to the record store afterwards and taking comfort in that.  And only going out for dates twice in four years.  Thank God I wasn't the class of 1980, then i would have to contend with a couple of them girls who practically drive me to the point of being gay.  But nevertheless I do have plenty of friends from my HS school years to which I still keep in contact with (one plays in our band) and I simply go to these things just to let the high snooty fucks that us poor white trash from the other side of the tracks are still alive and doing fine thank you very much.  Plus there's a chance that I will see my very good friend Mark Prouty for the first time since 1979.  And I'm sure Steve Fry will be there too, he's always been a hoot and I managed to see him at the John Wayne 100th Birthday Bash two years ago.  Anything is possible and I'm sure we'll hear the usual stories of classmates being proud parents and Grandparents now (i can't fathom that now we have grandpas and grandmas in my class) but in terms of myself I'm still amazed of the fact that I've stayed the most same since graduation, not by choice but rather habit.  So my Friday and Saturday nights will be caught up in that.

Also this weekend will showcase my 10th year of being on the net.  It was Aug 16 that I finally went to Computer Renassanice and picked up a POS used computer for the use of music research and of course seeing the wild side of the net.  Unfortuly, the computer had too much junk on the harddrive, it kept crashing and a year later I finally had enough and then brought a Gateway for more fun and games. Formatted with the state of the art ME, the fucking thing would disconnect me from IM conversations and I lost many a blog due to that.  I can't believe it's been 10 years of me being on the computer, giving y'all a window to the world of what makes my world go around.  I think the reason why time flew by so fast was of me being on the net about 10 to 12 hours a day, seeing what Secondspin had for used cds, bidding on EBAY and redoing my drumset every other month and hosting the friday night chat in The Roost and becoming somewhat of a cult artist with my rants and raving and what was playing in my player.

The Crabb Top Ten of the week started on a whim but bascially goes back to 1993 when I would put up my 10 favorite CDs to get while working part part part time at Relics.  Basically my job was watching the register while Jerry Scott went for a pee but most of the time I was the dood leaning over the cd section talking tunes with Jerry or Erin or Carol or Bruce.  I still remain good friends with Bruce and sometimes go up to Siegels to BS with him but it's a pawnshop and he's usually looking ready to kill somebody so i don't stay long.  And Erin and I go back to 1990 and I think she closed her My Space site but she can be found on Twitter or Blogspot so we keep in touch.  She owns Alter Ego the Comic Book Store of Marion Iowa.  But the Crabb Top Ten Songs remained a everyweek part of netland since 2003 which has been the longest lasting venture that I've done outside of The Townedgers but whereas thats been on hitaus, i've not run out of blog ideas and continue to blog on.  Some ppl actually do read them.   But for ten years of day to day internet life, everything nowadays comes from the net and the net's not going away anytime soon.  I've met and made a few friends, love and lost on the net and continue to probe the net for the long lost single or cd that yet to be found.  And still get creeped out by those Match.com ads, (cue Rockwell-Somebody Watching Me) to which Match.com must be sponsering these blogs anymore.  I wouldn't say that the internet has made me a celeberity (it hasn't and usualy don't for old cranks pushing 50) but i do have a closet cult following out there.  The blogs I write come from what i feel and somedays they can be quite entertaining.  I'm sure someday I'll go back and try to compile the best of them before My Space closes down but the archives are waiting to be discovered if one gets too bored with watching You Tube.

I like to think that it's a wonderful life and who knows.  Think I have come a long way from the angry rants of the year of the Flood and this year when my depression came back in june.  The one thing I found out is that the drugs really don't work and basically the ideal presciption was 10 days in Arizona although that got cut short by back spams and too many monsoons.  But even with a grumpy back I did managed the trip and go to Lake Havasu City and seen the freaks and get a chuckle and then going back to Phoenix.   But I've blogged many observations because I know if I don't I will forget it the next day.  I think there's many stories yet to be told and ten years really isn't that long of time if you think about it, living in a BZ world.  I know time didn't fly so by when I didn't have the net.

So here I am typing on a desk with piles of paper just about covering the screen and piles of cds and albums scattered about waiting to be played.  Life i lead isn't perfect but I think I'm comfortible to what I become.  Somedays I need to seperate The Crabb from my real persona, sometimes The Crabb is bigger than R Smith himself.  I'm not sure what the future will brings and for the first time in a long time I think things might be brighter.  And perhaps despite my disgust for those match.com ads, I believe that love can be found on the net and that's where it will lead.  Somehow this part of the year seems to bring on a new era of sorts.  Who knows, maybe we can live again, perhaps to love again.

The future remains unwritten.

And finally on Saturday, My Mom turns 65.  She called up last week and said had Grandma Ambrose would lived she would be 92 years old.  Grandma passed away in the darkest of eras 1975 (Grandpa Smith would passed four month later).  I remember spending summer vacation over in Lincoln visiting my grandparents although they were not together, we never saw Mr. Ambrose (to this day i cannot call him my grandpa since we had no contact with each other but he passed away about a year ago) but i spend a week at Grandma then over on Decatur Street in Lincoln for Grandpa.  Grandma Smith died in 1964 so i faintly remember her, but Grandma Ambrose was the most coolest and Grandpa Smith we spent many afternoons listening to the Cubs and hearing Grandpa Smith cuss out the Radio.  But Momma turns 65 this saturday, and Thank God she's still living.  We never know how much we miss somebody till their dead and gone.   Happy birthday Ma, Crabb luvs ya.