Thursday, September 25, 2008

Top Ten Of The Week-Own Me Cuz I'm Worth It


1.  Soul Finger-Bar Kays 1967  What I miss most about AM radio is that back in the 60s they would play soul music alongside rock and roll and easy listening and sometimes country.  I think I lived mostly for the instrumentals to which most of them would be played only before the top of the hour before the newscast.  The original Bar Kays made two albums before like Otis Redding, took a dive into Lake Monona and most would not make it out.  And BTW, Concord Music has reissued Otis Redding's Live 1967 Stax perfomances from London and Paris into one big cd.  I still would recommend Live In Europe if you can find it or this effort.

2.  Ring A Ling-Johnny Otis 1958  This was hard rock and roll late 50s as a B side to Willie And The Hand Jive and yep, that's Earl Palmer bashing away on the drums.  For a reference, play Keep A Knockin by Little Richard and then Rock And Roll by Led Zeppelin and see who John Bonham is giving tribute to. In the 50s era Palmer played on just about everything.

3.  Children Of The Night-Steppenwolf 1974  John Kay was blasting the Nixon Administration on Steppenwolf's comeback 1974 album Slow Flux and while trying to compile a top ten listing, I had to include this protest song which could fit well in with Governor Bush's government who has taken us into the New Depression of the Millenium.  Alas, this song sounds like it would fit in today with the problems of this Bushit Government. 

4.  Rhinocratic Oaths-Bonzo Dog Band 1968  Before Monty Python, there was the Bonzo Dog Do Dah Band and their music, not exactly rock and roll but a bit more jazz and vaudeville.  Compare this song with side two of Monty Python And The Holy Grail Soundtrack.

5.  Be Like That-3 Doors Down 2000  Have 3 Doors Down been around for eight years already?!?  I was playing this CD on the way to Portland to meet up with somebody in March of 2000.  This band hasn't interests me all that much since then but I do play their first album on occasion.

6.  I Really Wanted You-Dead Rock West 2008  Up and coming band with a great rockin track off their first album.  Hey, I own these guys on the own your friends app so I can promote them whenever I like.  So there.

7.  Don't Be Angry-Nappy Brown 1955  RIP Nappy who passed away last weekend, this was his best known hit.

8.  You, Me And Everything-Blues Traveler 2008  Their new album can be a EP of sorts, out of all the BT albums out there, their new album clocks in at 42 minites, which is a EP to John Popper and company.  This song would have been a great followup to Runaround had radio stayed the way it was back in the mid 90s.  Kinda reminds me of Van Morrison if you ask me but we all know that radio don't play shit anymore and unfortunly, you won't be able to hear this great song on the radio, unless it's on satellite radio.  Hell the only Blues Traveler that ever gets played anymore is Runaround.  And Clear Channel wonders why nobody listens to the radio no more.

9.  Twenty Flight Rock-Eddie Cochran 1958  Another forgotten classic that I wanted to turn your attention to.

10.  I Want To Hold Your Hand-The Chipmunks 1964  And if you don't have a sense of humor on this, maybe you should return back to the McCain camp.  Jes saying ;-)
...
Wreckless Eric is back with a new album with Amy Rigby to which I stumbled across it while at FYE the other day.  Actually, I wanted to marry Amy Rigby since I always loved her albums but Eric was at the right place right time.  Here's a bit of a interview with Eric with his well known hit Take the KASH.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postrock/2008/09/way_more_than_six_questions_fo.html

http://www.cbsundstrom.com/fuckyoujohnmccain.jpg
Barracuda this McCain.