Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Hot Air, McCain, Arizona Wrap Up, Motorhead

The sad reality is that it's time to get back to work and to the crappy printers and the HBP and stress.  Looks like today will be the last of the hot days before a big cold front goes through and reminds us that summer is just about over.

Looks like Hurricane Gus wasn't going to be the Hurricane Goddam that we thought it would be but like Fay, whereever its at you're going to get lots of rain.  Which is why I'll never move to the gulf coast.  But before we celebrate good riddence to Gus, there are three other storm systems out there that going to become hurricanes so there's Hanna, Ike and Josephine.  BTW it's the peak week for hurricanes. Give thanks to Gus for sparing the oil wells and giving the finger to OPEC and the oil barons.  But I'm sure the OPEC will find ways of trying to keep the oil prices high.

With the last of the hot humid air here, it gives me the longing to return back to the deserts, even to the blistering dry hot air of Bullhead City or the cooler temps of Kingman.  I still consider Crookton Point Bridge as sacred as the Chain Of Rocks Bridge in St Louis.  If you're a follower of the Route 66 mystic, you'll know what I mean.  Too bad I live too far away to escape to that desolate place out there.

Back to reality and what goes on.  On the subject of McCain's running mate and her 17 year old daughter having one in the oven and ready to pop out, what does this have to do with the price of food or gas other than one more mouth to feed.  I swear politics are worser than Perez Hilton or TMZ.  Nobody has viable solutions for the problems of the world but they'll sure dig up dirt on somebody's teenage daughter having sex and getting knocked up.  News flash Geraldo Rivera, everybody has sex including sleezebag FOX cocks.  And Palin's daughter will get married to the daddy and probaly divorced three years and three kids later but that is life.  And I tend to fear hurricanes and tornados more than I do with dumb kids not using protection. (Of course it didn't last Bristol and the creature she messed around parted ways, but Dude Johnson continued to be fruitful and multiply with the next one, and the next one.....)

Polenia's Meat Market in Czech Village will not reopen.  A victim from the 40 days and nights of rains and floods in the spring.  It's a shame, they had some of the finest meats you can buy.  Almost makes you want to go  vegatarian.


When I was going through shops in Phoenix to find things, I had a bad time having a sneeze attacks or having a runny nose that wouldn't stop when I was at Bookman's, AZ's answer to Half Priced Books although there is one in Phoenix but didn't go look for it.  I think I sneezed about 9 times saturday at the one at 19th Ave.  I'm not sure the dryer air helped my sinus problems but I do know when you run the AC all day down there and night the damn nose dries up.  One night too much AC had me doing the shivers.  Not a lot of fun if you ask me, so I turned the temp up a couple degrees and got sweated out.  It's a dry heat most of the time (except monsoon season to which it felt like the midwest in june) but if you shut the AC off for five minites, it becomes a sweatbox.  I do like staying at the Quality Inn in Kingman but they didn't give me a compliment bag after I left and there's no eating places within a mile of it.  Used to be one called Nick's on 66 but Nick has gone down the road someplace else and the building is empty.  Still, next time in Kingman I'll be there, as long as they have a working computer so I can clean out the junk emails.

The Cubs are stinking up the tube once again. Everytime I got to see them on TV they lost.  They better start getting their act together or Milwaukee might go past them.

RIP Killer Kowalski, one of the legends of wrestling.  He was 81.

I have reviewed 49 albums so far this year, the bulk of them coming the last two months. (actually 20).  So we might up the total to around 65 to 70 looks like but a lotta albums are coming out in digipaks and I'm not too crazy about reviewing stuff in digipaks.  Plus the compressed sound from the new albums sucks.  The new Blue Mountain albums are in digipaks, so is the new Motorhead and even though there have been glowing reviews about Lemmy's new CD, what I heard I thought sounded bland.  Sure it's in your face and it rocks but it doesn't rock like it did on the last album Kiss Of Death.  I'm sure after 30 years making the same album, you might lose a bit of inspiration at least a couple times and Motorizer seems to be that album of clunkiness.  Is it four stars as AMG has it? Definly not.  I'm thinking Mark Prindle had it better as he gave it a B.  If it comes up used perhaps then but it's not a high priority for me to get.  Sorry Lemmy.

I'm also thinking that somebody blew it on the Robert Plant Dreamland CD that I finally got around hearing after buying it in AZ.  It might be a two and half star album at best.  Plant has had some surprising albums (his last with Alison Krauss) and some disappointments (Jimmy Page on Walking To Clarksdale to which I'm thinking Steve Albini gave them a shitty mix on that album) but Dreamland even with the two boner cuts at the end is a slightly overrated album. Just like the new Charlatans UK album to which they touted it up so much on their My Space site you thought it would be the album of the year.  Then I heard it.  So you see kiddies, the reason why CD and music sales are down is that the quality of music of this age and time just isn't memorable and as disposible as last year's cellphone.  Even Kid Rock noticed that when he made his summertime record of the year All Summer Long, he referenced the beats from Werewolves of London and Sweet Home Alabama, the latter a great song but now overplayed to death.  Two years ago it was Gnarls Barkley with Crazy as Summer song of the year but I can't remember what passed for summer song of the year last year.  And that's why nobody remembers anything anymore in terms of song.  Shit the songs playing constantly in my head are from the 60s or 70s.  You might think Kid Rock is a asshole but he's a lot more rock and roll nowadays then what passes on rock radio.

I heard the new Slipknot song on KUPD last week and have to say I'm impressed that these guys  are actually rocking a bit more but that was only one song.  Corey Taylor does do good things sometimes with the Slipknotters and Stone Sour and he still calls Iowa home so I don't get on him.  Of course, being stuck in that fucking Des Moines traffic can make you think nasty thoughts and good to see that he got some gold records out of the process.  And I still think Slipknot can become a good prog rock band too when they all hit thirty and beyond, can you picture a 50 year old Slipknotter singing about skullbanging?!?

But then again the Des Moines traffic will do that to you.

As for why I didn't comment on the songs from last week, I was on a shared computer at the motel room and had a guy waiting for me to get off the computer so I just named the songs.  The next top ten will deal with what I heard out there and more songs of note.  I didn't add a top ten to the Yardbird's Roost last week, I took a week off over there and the readership over there has slipped a lot.  Top Tens are fun but when nobody comments on them after a while, it just becomes a personal list for me.  And I do enjoy a good conversation.

And finally for now, to name withheld out there, dating after age 40 is a hassle.  I'm sure Neil Hubbard and E harmony has somebody out there for somebody, but if you set the bar too high and expect too much, nobody gonna give you a second date or look.  Life is loneliness and here I'm alone about 70 percent of the time but I make the best use of my time by bargain hunting or discovering how to ride a bike.  If it happens fine, if not life shouldn't end due to bad relationships or what have ye.  Only you know what you want from life and from potential dating.  Compromise a little and see what happens, otherwise you might find yourself alone for a little while longer................................

Motorhead-Motorizer (SPV)
Thirty five years onward, the new Motorhead is like the last Motorhead is like the last one right till the first album that came out.  At 62 Lemmy still sounds like he was when he was 32 and I'm sure if he was 2 years old still would have that gravelpit voice that we all know and love.  When I first heard this at the music store I wasn't impressed but we can blame that on a subpar stereo they had up there or probaly in MP3 sound.  But it's still Motorhead bashing away with Lemmy's bass starting things out and then Phil Campbell and Mikkey Dee follow behind, or Mikkey throws out a drum solo at the beginning of the song.  I think their last album Kiss Of Death was pretty good, and this does come close.  And they do vary their sound a bit more, with a Thin Lizzy shuffle beat on Back On The Chain.  And then....

Runaround Man is your standard lead off, Mikkey does a fill, the guyscome in and Lemmy bellows them out and adds some of the most ugly backing vocals to the song.  Rock Out is the long lost cousin to Ace Of Spades.  One Short Life is a bloozefest, reminds me of a staggering drunk at the bar.  The stop start of English Rose which turns out to be somewhat of a metal pop number (somthing like Christine from Kiss of Death).  Even adds a slide to Thousand Names Of God.  Perhaps the complaint is that Lemmy doesn't vary too much and some of the lesser songs are a bit tossed off and the ladies might be put off by the last chorus to Rock Out (with your cock out/impress your lady friends) but that shouldn't stop the Motorhead fans out there to jam away.  But with Motorhead what you hear is what you get, three chord rock and roll turned up to ten with distinct Lemmy vocals that we all know and love.  And if this a slight album as some of the critics out there might say, it still is miles ahead of the last Who or Rolling Stones album.  And even if Lemmy is still around ten or twenty years from now, he'll still look the same and sound the same unlike the Mick Jaggers or Roger Daltrys of the world.  And like AC/DC, Motorhead is still ROCK N ROLL, still guaranteed to piss off your parents...to which they probaly were listening to Ace Of Spades and pissing off their parents.  Motorizer might be a slighter than Kiss Of Death but it still rocks out.

Grade B plus

Bother your neighbors with: Runaround Man, A Thousand Names Of God, English Rose