Monday, September 1, 2008

Arizona Wrap Up 2008, Bill Melendez RIP

It's kind of a culture shock after being away from home for a week to live the life of a vagabond, driving on Arizona byways and pass-ways and lose myself into the desert skies and air.  I've drove 1,135 miles in my trip around Phoenix and up to the north country to Kingman and back.  So many people live there, the roads are congested when the sun is out and even if Sedona is good therapy for the zen crowd, the fucking traffic and one lane BS made it feel like rush hour on the Black Canyon Freeway.  Muzak lives on up there. KAHM 102.1 is that station and is used for that peaceful easy feeling while dealing with wall to wall traffic there.
http://www.kahm.info/


The other was KZKE 103.7 Route 66 Goodtime Oldies, to which they would play one or two overplayed oldies and then stick 10 minutes of public service commercials afterwards.  It moves over to 104.9 at Kingman.  Once upon a time, the good time oldies format was one reason of keeping music alive but all it does is replay the same 200 songs per day.  In reality kiddies, radio in the 50s and 60s played a little bit more music than what is out there now.  Somewhere on the radio wasteland Bennie And The Jets or The Joker is playing 24/7.  And as I said before, if we knew that these good time oldies would be played on a regular basis, the record collection would be a bit more thin.
Update 2015: KZKE is no different than of the Corporate Classic Rock and Oldies stations out there, basically covering the number 1 hits of the 60s and 70s without the lesser known songs that made oldies radio the way it used to be when AM radio was the rage.  The ads are misleading, I'm sure they don't have it all.  Basically this station reminds me of a Four Tops song that's perfect for Corporate Oldies/Rock and KZKE, it's the same old song. Even if it's based out Seligman Arizona, it sounds like nobody bothered to bring any more records to that place since 1975.

http://www.kgmn.net/KZKE.htm

The freedom of coming and going up around Kingman was to get away from the stress and strains of life here.  For a town of 20 thousand, Kingman is a bigger city then say of Marion since things are spread out.  Most of the convenience stores we know are around Strougten Hill (Sic) Road, or at the tail end of Andy Devine Blvd.  No Best Buy or Target but they do have a K Mart or Safeway although some fool thinks Hastings is their version of Best Buy.  It is so quiet walking on old 66 roadway over to the KFC/Long John Silvers and most of that part is in the dark.  It's so dusty around the poles that when I came back to the motel room, I looked in the mirror and see I have wiped so much dust around my face that I was painted white and looked like one of the guys from Slipknot.  No wonder the folk at KFC were freaking out a bit.  But even in the night, I still felt at home as hearing train whistles blowing off and on in the night that I rather prefer the lonesome lifestyle of downtown Kingman rather than the traffic jams of Sedona and Prescott, although while pretty from the mountains and red rocks, there's simply too many people and cars to live a long life there.

If Arizona, the final (?) tour ended up being, in the end it proved that the CD era is over.  That the pawnshops don't have the selection that they used to be, Hastings overprices their used stuff and even Zia's selection was hit and miss.  The internet may have killed off the independent record dealers but i did notice that Zia's record selection was bigger than the last time I was there. It would have been nice to get the Neu! 2 CD but since it's back in print, I can just as well order it online rather than trying to stuff another cd into the carryon.  Rockaway Records is now for the ages, they're history just like Wherehouse Music.  And the FYE stores that took over the Wherehouse franchise are beginning to feel like FYE stores, with pushy clerks bothering you every five minutes and it's a bit unnerving to see a security guard at the Tempe store.  Probably there to protect the clerks when angry customers come back to bitch bout the used cd that they bought for 8 bucks is scratched up.

Which leads me back to Crookton Overpass Bridge that I spent a couple hours at on the way and back to Phoenix.  The feeling of zen as you get out of the car and all you hear is the wind blowing through your hair, seeing high cirrus clouds float lazily by as you see thunderheads from the monsoons not being let in by the mountains surrounding the pass.  They tell me it doesn't rain all that much up around here.  And that was the reason why I came up from the valley below.  The perfect feeling of being alone without much traffic going by, to watch trains fly by below and thinking i can hang out here a while.  And wishing I can stay out there longer, maybe a lifetime if I could....................

A day later after coming back home, I still have a feeling of being a guest instead of being the occupant of home again and feeling a bit out of place.  I don't think I was missed all that much, there wasn't much in my inbox when I checked it Thursday and the TE website reminds me of being back at Crookton Pass, nobody came by to visit it.  I donno, I haven't posted much over there.  Nothing going on, nothing will be goin on for a while I guess.  I played a bit of Email tag with Russ here but I guess most of the myspacers are playing Gangsters and don't keep up with the latest dealings over here.  I didn't meet any Minglers out in the desert.   There were chances but nobody responded to any offers of meeting so I kept busy and did my zen thing around the high country.  But I couldn't get over the humidness of Mesa and the only time we got that hot dry heat was Bullhead City.

So here I am back home again, keeping up on the dealings of Hurricane Goddam (Gustav is such a dumbfuck name,  should have called it Gus, so I renamed it Goddam since all it's doing is making OPEC rich and destroying the gulf coast) and noticed that Judge Joe Brown has been replaced by the fucking Info-commercials at 11 at the Fox station.  And debating whether or not to return to a five day work week.  It's September now, the weather will be changing in a hurry, and this is the last official weekend of Summer, which began on Memorial Day during F5 Tornadoes and 40 days and nights of rains and floods.  Too bad the weather wasn't this nice at the beginning.

So life is back to what it was before escaping to Arizona.  I have a peaceful feeling but I do know that I'll be back to being a crabbapple when I head to work tomorrow. It's important to me to document things now, for if I don't, I won't remember them like I once did.  Despite heading and coming back with a banshee screaming kid and a punk rock daddy on the verge of being smacked around by angry customers, the trip once I got out of the airport was a pretty good trip.  Uneventful mostly, but that's the way I like it.
I'm sure if I go back to the desert be it Vegas or Phoenix, I'll return to Kingman and the Route 66 road to visit once again.  I think it was the only time I really smiled and meant it.


Bill Melendez made the Peanuts characters come to life with the TV shows and movies that starred Charlie Brown and the others.  He managed to keep them alive after Charles Schultz passed away.  The comics haven't been the same since the passing of Charles and now Bill.  He was 91.