Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Welcome Back Kurt Hoeppner

Hello fans of Top Tens out there.  Ole Crabby is back with another year of ten songs that have been playing in my player at various places around the area.  For those who just joined up,  time to give you a bit of background history.

I'm a record collector, a music lover of sorts and it has been that way for 45 years!  All but three years of this life dedicated to finding the ultimate in music and still searching after all these years but I think I'm getting closer to achieveing that collection.  With the buying of Gonna Send You Back To Walker by The Animals I pretty much accomplished one goal and that was to find the first 45 that I ever owned.  I scour the bargain bins in the Tri State area I live in and sometimes in the summer I go to Arizona or elsewhere to seek the music stores to find more CDs to pass the time with.  But with digital now the rage, my time is drawing near the end.  Soon everything will be downloads only and the collectors will be regulated to EBAY or Amazon or the thrift store.

I play in two bands, one The Townedgers the other is something with my best friend plays bass in.  He's a big Prog Rock fan, he loves Rush and Kansas  I perfer garage punk and country.  I think I contradict him on purpose though I do wish that he would have gotten into the punk rock that I was in.  We have been friends for forty years and I love him like a brother.  But like brothers we tend to fight as well.  I'm also the late night host of the Friday Night Chat, The Roost at Sparkpea.net.  From 11:45 to 1 or longer we chat music.  I have some friends that are friends here.  I also have friends from Mingles that I keep in touch with, most notabily Sassy girl.  She's a sweetheart unlike me.  I also shoot the shit with Diggy Kat, the other big TE fan.  He plays in three bands but has one of my songs on his webpage.  He's the son I never had.

My Space is a great place to check out bands but every so often, I do hear some great singer songwriters out there.  Margaret, is the curator of The Brains site, one of the best new wave bands whose albums yet to see the CD no thanks to brainless record companies.  I sometimes get to chat with Charles Wolff, the drummer from The Brains.  My favorite My Space band remains Lizzy Williams, whose lead singer Lizzy (naturally) pays a visit from time to time.  She has a EP out called Magic 8 and is sometimes featured in the Top Ten.  You should own a copy of it.  And one of the things I like about Lizzy is that she does take the time to talk to her fans.  She's the real deal.  Add her to your friends list if you like good music.

The Top Ten of The WeekTM has taken a life of it's own.  I thought I made a good run of it last year and decided to retire it but due to lots of emails out there, it has risen once again, like the phoenix.  I take ten songs from all decades (from the 20s to now-but mostly it's usually around the 60s to today with more on the 60s and 70s) from albums and singles and form a opinion.  And people enjoy the fact that the songs are all over the place and from all types of music, Punk, Jazz, Blues, Rock n Roll you name it, chances are you will see it.  Except rap, unless I feel like adding U Kant Touch Dis on the chart.  The purpose is to promote the lesser known and sometimes I will add a classic rock number just to please the classic rock crowd, but I do dig deep into the lost classic than the other radio stations out there.  If you, the reader, are interested in the song, chances are it's out in the net somewhere.  Sometimes I promote my own band if I feel the song fits the format but I won't toot my horn all that much.  I do have a My Space site for that and those can access it at their own leisure.  But I live for the music and the music for me.   On that, let's get the new year rolling.

1.  Stone Blue-Foghat  1978
2.  Me And My Arrow-Nilsson 1971
3.  I Often Dream Of Trains-Robyn Hitchcock 1986
4.  Have You Seen Your Mother Baby Standing In The Shadow-Rolling Stones 1966
5.  The Hardest Walk-The Jesus And Mary Chain 1985
6.  Barbara Ann-Jan And Dean 1963
7.  Ain't My Bitch-Mettallica 1997
8.  Gudbye T'Jane-Slade 1972
9.  The Joke's On Me-Jordan Zevon 2008
10. TV Eye-The Stooges 1970

Unfortunately, My Space had their usual unexpected error messages and I lost the witty comments after the songs that I posted and so the original top ten got lost in cyberneverland again.  So this is Plan B.   TV Eye is dedicated to Ron Asheton who passed away last week at age 60 due to natural causes.  The Slade track was dedicated to my senior Steve Rasmussen at work for wanting a copy of Slade's Greatest Hits and Jordan Zevon gets kudos for having this song for being voted Best Compostion and got to play it on David Letterman the other night.  Insides Out is the album and you should get it.

Welcome back Kurt Hoeppner as he returns to relieve Denny Ballard as first shift printing manager at Pearson.  Kurt left a couple years back to take a job at CRST but since that didn't work out here he is.  Like the song sez you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave.