Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Rant On Corey Taylor


This week is the final week for our worker at the Pearson Warehouse, Mr. Christopher Zorich, who after all these years of being the local garbage gut and food taker, is taking his act to first shift, probaly on orders from his wife.  With Chris moving to days, we will have more food to share on nights and he will actually have to work for a change.  We all at Pearson Printing Inc love to give Christopher shit when he comes over to steal a cookie or come over and annoy me with his bits of triva but in reality, Christopher is a all around nice guy.  We'll miss him and wish him luck, now get back to work farker. ;-) (Side Note: Chris returned back to night six months later, he couldn't take it waking up at 4 AM to get to work).

The new Radio Moscow CD will be released April 19th and will be a better record to listen to than the new U2 or Bruce Springsteen.  Way things are going in the music world it might be the one of the first new releases that I will review although I need to get a copy of the Cotton Serbersek Band indpendent release that what I heard is pretty good.  And other news, The Townedger's In This Town is one of the featured songs on Brown Dog Radio, a up and coming website radio station on My Space.  Thanks For the shout out guys.

BTW, if you haven't known by now, I will be two years from fifty on Saturday.  Gift cards are welcomed.  And now if I can quit coughing and farting at the same time, that will be considered a small victory in this life.

The Top Ten Of The Week remains as follows.

1.  One Headlight-The Wallflowers 1996  If you think that's bad, try driving your car with a broken strut.  Can't drive 55 with all that flipping flopping around.  Geezus will somebody please fix my car or help me get a new one?!?

2.  Why Don't Cha-West, Bruce And Laing 1973  Here at Crabb's Top Ten Land we still have a soft spot in our hearts for the boogie that made the 70s a great place to jam and light one up. They didn't call this band Mountain since Felix Pappalardi (RIP) left and Jack Bruce took his place. I tend to think Bruce is a bit overrated in terms of bass player since he sounded like his bass was turned all the way up to ten.  The reason why Ginger Baker won't play in anymore versions of Cream since Bruce can't sing and barely play anymore.  Ain't growing old gracefully a bitch?

3.  Hitchin' A Ride-Vanity Fare 1970  One of two hits from a long forgotten British band that recorded for Larry Page's Page One Records.  This record always brings a smile to my face when I hear it, which isn't too often since it's passed the limitations of classic rock . I think Russ's sister had this on 45 although he will deny it.

4.  Tommy The Cat-Primus with Tom Waits 1991  Another tale from the weirdness that is Les Claypool and company with a deranged appearance by Mr. Waits.  I wonder how the hell Claypool can shoot those words out in rapid fire "Say Baby Do Ya wanna lay down with me", Say Baby, Say Baaaaby.  Alternative Prog Rock, the final gasp of music before the Corporate suits brought everything up and started putting out sterile and forgettible shit such as boy bands and pop tarts and American Idol.  And another complaint; I wish these numbskulls who sing the National Anthem at ballgames would sing the fucking thing right.  And that's directed toward you Jordan Sparks and Martina McBride.  You're not Marvin Gaye, nor Whitney Houston. Leave them in peace.

5.  Dear Mr. Fantasy-Traffic 1971   From Welcome To The Canteen, Dave Mason rejoins the band to do a nice live album and this is a 11 minite rock and jam that's worth the price of admission. 

6.  Land Ho!-The Doors 1970  Morrison Hotel was probaly the best thing that The Doors did for a couple albums and although I'd skip over the overplayed Roadhouse Blues, this song appeared on the remastered Classic album of 1985.  But then again I think there are more best ofs and anthologies of the Doors than actual studio albums, which include the two albums done without Morrison, Other Voices and Full Circle.  If they're on Cd, they're imports and hard to find, just like the vinyl albums.  But then again I heard those albums and with a moment here or there, you're not missing much.

7.  Road Fever-Foghat 1977  The more I hear Foghat live volume two, the tribute album released last year, the less I'm impressed of hearing it.  I had to go back to the first live album to hear what they could do when they play live.  But sadly, Rod Price and Lomesome Dave are no longer around.  Just the rhythm section and the guy from Ted Nugent's Weekend Warriors band, and the guy from Wild Cherry playing lead guitar.  In other words, an okay tribute band.

8.  Party Till You Puke-Andrew WK 2002  What people do best on their birthdays.  Drink seven pitchers of bad beer and pay for it the next day.  Did that once.  Once was enough.

9.  Big Man-Big Back Forty 1997  This still remains one of my favorite albums from the 1990s, from a band from Columbus Ohio that me and a friend went to go see perform at Gabe's Oasis in Iowa City.  I remember this band opened up for the Honeydogs and after they played the BB40 lead singer was standing next to me and my friend.  I was so damn awestruck, that I couldn't go muster up the courage to tell him how much I love his band's latest record, which turned out to be the only record they recorded.

10.  Rock And Roll Queen-Mott The Hoople 1970  And finally, I have read that the original Mott The Hoople gang from this era are reuniting to do a couple of live gigs in October. Would it be great to see Ian Hunter, Mick Ralphs, Overend Watts, Virden Allen And Dale Griffin on the same stage again.  You know I might pay to see that.  But don't hold out for a Jeff Beck Group reunion though.  As much as Rod Stewart would like to, ole Jeff doesn't think much of a world tour, but he may say yes to a stay at home jam session. 
That Jeff Beck is crazy....like a fox.
 
And...finally, Des Moines' very own Slipknot vocalist Corey Taylor gives you his review of the new Coldplay album.  You have the floor Mr. Taylor.

"One of the most self-celebratory pieces of sh*t I've ever f*cking heard in my entire f*cking life." "I f*cking hate that album It's music to wipe your ass to."