Sunday, January 25, 2009

What I Did On My Birthday 2009

Another day another year survived.  I'll turn 48 tonight at 10:50 PM. 

Used to be that birthdays meant something when you're younger, it meant that Grandpa and Grandma would send you some money and a card.  My aunt Cindy and Virginia sent card all along the way but for the first time there wasn't any money in it.  Not that it matters, I'd rather had the card just for the thought. In this great depression we now live in, we have to watch our money.

I guess you reach a certain age the fun of birthdays just seem to fade on out and that special day is nothing more than surviving another year of back problems, colds and a attitude that borders on insane and eccentric and erratic.  I'm sure my co workers would have something planned on Friday but since I had to go get my back put back into place by the chiropractor, I needed some time away and besides my car has a broken strut so I didn't venture anywhere.  I stopped at Happy Joe's Pizza for a rare buffet meal and ran into a woman up there that actually works in B n D in our department.  Took me a while to notice her and finally it did sent in.  Small world it is.

I don't triumph the BIG DAY in the net, I only point it out just for reference sakes.  I did blog the top ten under the Birthday Crabb banner and left it at that.  I do have a couple highs and lows of birthday memories.  One when I turned 33 and my ex GF Penny took me up to Shakey's Buffett and treated me to dinner but she complained about paying for it.  The next year the replacement exGF Clarice made it a night to remember, the Royal Fork Buffet (RIP), some dancing afterward.  But mostly it has been myself going to selected mexican restarants or just ordering up a pizza and watching ball games that way.  It's a bitch when you get older meaning too old to go clubbing but even I was in that age it was a rareity.

I can't think of any other worse time to be born is when its in the dead of winter and it's four below outside with a howling wind.   Wishing that I could have been someplace warmer such as St Louis or the desert rather than on old Route 66 on the way to Lincoln in a howling blizzard to which I should came to my parents in a dream and tell them not to do the nasty in June, cuz usually what's planned for in the summer comes in the winter and vice versa.  Certainly did nobody any favors that way but when it's time to go into the world.



Each year it seems that the years go by faster than the year before.  Here we are again, another spin around the sun and for the seasons?  If you can stop and drop me off at early fall and let's forget the rest of the seasons thank you.  I'm sick of the snow and floods that follow.  Every year it's a wishing and dreaming of being younger again and trying to make up for past mistakes and try to find the right one to spend the rest of your years with.   But fact remains is that the high school sweethearts we once knew are nothing like they are now.  Being with Penny on that 33rd year proved that.

So, here I am at the 48th year of existence and wondering where things will lead.  I always think that it will be my final year till we go around the world once again and meet at this day, and some day it will be the final year.  Funny how the only thing remains the same is the ticking of seconds that never change.  To the readers out there, thanks for being a part of the ride and feel free to stop by and see the latest in blogs at here or at Multiply or Blogspot and as I see each and every one of you jumping the My Space sinking ship like rats, perhaps facebook.  I'm sure links will be supplied once something intelligent pops up over there.

And if any of y'all were here, you could have joined me with some decent burritos at El Rancho in Iowa City.   I'll even let you buy too. ;-)

 I didn't do too much myself, went to Happy Joe's for a buffet on friday and ran into somebody that works up there but also works at Pearson.  Her name is Kathi and I can remember that name since the head senior in Inserting is Kathy.  Buffet was pretty good since I didn't have to run to the toilet 10 minites later.  Plus went to the chiropractor and got my back put into place, just in time for the Texas folders to come knock it out of wack once again.

Saturday pretty much slept most of the day but did go into Anamosa to McOttos for a Chimi dinner that wasn't that bad.  Lots of sour cream and salsa works as well plus went to Wally World to pick up a new showerhead and the new Franz Ferdinand cd.  And then sunday celebrated the birthday with the folks.  Diggy Kat called me Saturday and sang Happy Birthday and later sent me a whole batch of Waylon Jennings cds that I didn't have and I do believe that all the pieces of the puzzle are now in place.  Thanks DK.  Ya da man.

The people that I work with at Pearson are one of a kind.  Steve Rasmussen made not one but two birthday cakes, one Cherry and one Boston Pie and both were excellent.  He won't admit to this but he does luv Da Crabb and his antics at work enough to go out of his way to make a couple cakes.  Of course, ole garbage gut Christopher came out of Warehouse to eat about ten pieces but there was still enough left over.  But jeez, Steve can do it all, do senior work and still go home and bake goodies.  He's amazing.  Thank you thank you thank you.

Anyway kiddies,  the car got fixed and the broken strut has been replaced but there's a big hole in the hood where it bounced up.  But at least I can now drive the speed limit and have a smooth ride.   Um, other things  I see everybody's favorite big mouth Terrill Owens will have his very own reality show on VH1 this summer thus making VH1 even more worthless than MTV.  Who watches them anymore?  When you get this generation Stephen Fetchit getting his own reality show, then it's time to block it or stock up on DVDs since TV today sucks and digital TV ain't going be any better.  I wish that Obama would ban parmacuetual drug commericals since that's all they show on TV anymore.  That's why drugs are so high, damn drug companies gotta pay for that commerical time.  But VH1 sucks even more than MTV and we just can't get rid of the douchebags.  TO can just FO or PO cuz all TO is a big ZERO.  Nuff said.

For fans of Yrdbird Roost at Multiply, Vinyl King has submitted his very own top ten of the week and it will be for your viewing on Saturday.   Look for surprises.

For the first time in 9 weekends, we did not have one snow or icestorm.  That's news.