Thursday, October 4, 2012

Observations: AZ 30, RnR HOF, Assorted Crap

Four days back from Arizona, I'm back at my crappy job and had to go to the ER after Norman the Buffoon slammed his pallet on the floor and I lost my hearing in my left ear for about 10 minutes.  After fighting dizzyness and headaches I decided to go to ER since it was work related due to incompetent actions but tests revealed the eardrum didn't rupture and things look okay in there.  I always had the damn ringing in the ears but never to the point of losing my hearing.  It isn't rock music that going make me lose my hearing but rather dumbfucks at work being cute or a screaming spoiled rotten brat at the book store.

And how do you do folks?

Are you sick and tired of seeing rock acts not worthy of the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame like Red Hot Chili Peppers or Grandmaster Flash?  Would you love to see Deep Purple, Heart or Rush make it to the hollowed grounds of Cleveland without Jann Wanner fucking around and going with flavors of some forgotten decade?  Now is your chance to vote your band.  There's a online fan poll going on that will have the top five voted bands to make it in the HoF which means Rush will finally get in.  Of the last time I checked it was Rush, Deep Purple and Heart in that order but things can change.  Other notables are Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Albert King, The Marvelettes, Donna Summer, Joan Jett, Public Enemy, Procol Harum, Randy Newman, Kraftwerk, The Meters and Chic.  Kinda nice to see Albert King in the top five but will he last to make it there?  Time will tell.    http://rockhall.com/get-involved/interact/poll/

The latest Arizona getaway turned out to be one of the more schizophrenic trips in terms of finding CDs.  I thought I bring home around 30, turned out to be about 65 of them; blame Hastings in their four locations of cheap cds under 4 dollars, Lake Havasu City always seems to have the cheaper ones up there and they were the best store followed by Prescott, Bullhead City and Kingman bringing up the rear.  I spend more time in the Kingman store than in the others but they seem to be picked clean of decent cheapies. But then again there's not much for music stores in Kingman outside of K Mart and who goes to K Mart for CD's anyway?  Oh, forgot Wal Mart.  I didn't figure the pawnshops had much, Pawn World in Kingman quit selling them and the other pawnshop had crap that nobody wanted and has been up there for years.   Still, finding cheap 2 dollar Cds at Half Priced Books in Phoenix/Mesa, the Hastings 2 for a dollar specials and Zia's,  Going to Record City or  the professional music store of Wax Trax simply didn't figure much in it for me, especially when I found 25 forty fives for 50 cents at HP Books.  It's more fun to find them cheaper at the lesser known stores, which is why when they ask me what I am looking for I say I'm looking for bargains and hope I don't get thrown out the door for being that way.

Arizona is a red state, a right to work state which means anybody GOP gets elected down there.  Much to chagrin of my left wing friends, I do like Joe Aprino  the long time no bullshit sheriff of Maricopa County and got a kick out of his commercials that he's a friend of the four legged animals.  But in my place of zen, which is Crookton Pass Bridge, some right wing nutjob managed to plant a few anti Obama stickers on the Road Closed sign which annoyed me to the point that I just started tearing the GD things off the sign and throwing them on the ground.  I'm not all that thrilled with Obama but I detest having historical places getting defaced by either taggers who have to spraypaint their BS on each and every thing (I'm looking at you Las Vegas) or assholes who littered by placing hateful stickers on my sanctuary of getting away from it all.   I'm sure the fools may have come back and plastered more of them but next time if  I see them, I'll be tearing them down too. Word of warning.

For the most part, I survived the desert with plenty of 79 cent Big Gulps, those Tornados that Circle K or 7-11 would sell and four dollar value meals at Del Taco which are a hell of lot better than that crap they have at Taco Bell.  Kingman had them, so did Vegas and Lake Havasu City, two soft shell and a hardshell chicken taco to boot, I could eat those things most of the time.  And although I don't consider Panda Express to be real Chinese, it was fast food and it was pretty tasty too.  But nothing still beats chicken fried rice at Metro Center's Jade Express to which I had to stop on a Friday Night to eat.  I try to avoid the malls on Friday nights and weekends but since I was coming to Metrocenter one time, I thought I'd get that out of the way.

While I spending time out in the desert I pretty much missed the turning of the leaves at home to which everything was bright reds, yellow and oranges when the plane came back home. I may attempt to do some sightseeing of the leaves by the Mississippi this weekend but I think I'm done with the bargain hunts for a while.  I may take a flyer on the Mad City Autumn Fest of Bargains end of month.  But I found so much stuff in Arizona that I actually put back a few things, the new Dave Matthews, There Goes The Neighborhood by Joe Walsh, A Fistful Of Dollars S/T but even to the end on a last stop at the last FYE store before the airport I managed to come up with Duane Eddy's 1988 album for Capitol on CD and a Brownsville Station Out On The Top as well.

To the end, dedicated for the bargains and out of print.

2 comments:

TAD said...

Crabby: The R&RHOF is pure BS, & BFD. Still waiting for the Classical Composers' Hall of Fame -- Beethoven & Bach, fine. But Mozart fucked around (allegedly), so he's out. & not Aaron Copland, he's TOO NEW. & Stravinsky -- you call THAT music?
Or how about the Painters' Hall Of Fame...? JAZZ would NEVER do this kind of crap.
The REAL R&RHOF is decided every day. Embalming the "certified greats" in some building isn't going to rewrite history.
That said, I'd still like to see Rush & Heart in there, not sure if Procol Harum's done enuf good stuff 2 deserve it -- maybe 4 great songs in a whole career? & how bout my heroes The Moodies? Anyway, it's still all BS....

R S Crabb said...

The Rock Hall blew their wad when Bon Jovi and Chili Peppers made it in there and the nominees are all over the place. Doubt if Procol Harum will make it in, I picked Rush, Deep Purple and The Marvelettes for the 3. Rush is already in the Canada HoF to which they like better than here but readers have got them way ahead of Deep Purple and Heart last I checked.

Is this legit or will Jann Wanner forbid it, he don't dare not to include Rush or fans will burn the Hall down, hopefully with him in it! ;)