Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Top Ten Of The Week-The Last One Of The Year

This week's top ten is the final one.  So it was decided that we would have some special guests who would contribute their own songs for a change of pace.

1.  21st Century Schizoid Man-King Crimson 1969  Selected by Pat Travers.
For today's "Musical Rx" I have a piece that sounds as good to me today as it did when I first heard it. 21st century indeed! Mike Giles plays the most insane and awesome drums. Gregg Lake on bass and vocals (and what a vocal sound! All nasty and narly. Just the way I like it!). Robert Fripp on guitar. Wow! I met RF in Miami a 100 years ago. He was cool but very serious. So this one is a little longer than most tunes but it's worth hanging in there. What a studio performance this is. Can you tell I really like this one? And now some "Heavy Metal Prog-Rock"! King Crimson..."21st Century Schizoid Man". Cheers, PT

2.  Messin The Blues-Robin Trower 1976  Selected by Al Kooper

Catapulted out of Procol Harum, guitarist Trower was heavily influenced as a player by Jimi Hendrix. With bassist/vocalist James Dewar and drummer Bill Lordan, this track was composed and recorded by the trio in 1976 from the album Long Misty Days, Trower's fifth. This has the hypnotic guitar figure rolling throughout the entire selection with Dewar’s strong vocal and Robin's Hendrixian ascents.

3.  We're On Our Way-Chris Hodge 1972  Selected by TAD.

"We're On Our Way," another old favorite, which I still can't believe sounds so much like a T. Rex track. Far as I know, Hodge never did an album....

4.  Up In Flames-Coldplay 2011  Selected by Jeff Higgins (Groove Sandwich)

I thought I heard a rather interesting drum beat. I soon discovered that it wasn’t the recording at all. My brain was dangling from the end of a noose and its feet were kicking the inside of my skull in its final fit of desperation. It could no longer take the inane ramblings of this overpaid butthole hell-bent on robbing every one of his listeners of their money. My only hope is that my brain will one day be reincarnated as a snowboarding velociraptor with a machine gun or something equally awesome. And the next person to ask me if I’ve seen their new video where they dress up like elephants is going to receive swift and brutal justice courtesy of my wiffle bat.

5.  Smells Like Teen Spirit-Nirvana 1991  Selected by Slant Music Staff

For a song that has long been championed as the theme of a specific crowd of slacker youth, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" endures beyond the ownership of any one subgroup. Kurt Cobain's self-admitted attempt at a pop song achieved many things (helping to bring grunge from the sweaty depths of the mosh pit to the radio-friendly mainstream, launching Nirvana into Gen-X superstardom, and so on), but perhaps most importantly, it set the tone for all alternative music that followed. Its stuttering riff line instantly recognizable, "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is akin to Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" in raw industry impact, pushing not just the rock genre, but the entire music world forward. "Here we are now," Cobain announces, "entertain us!"

6.  Go Away-Living Colour 1990  Selected By Occupy Iowa City Movement to Michelle Bachmann

“She’s all about families unless they need health care cause if they can’t afford it, then they’re completely screwed,” and “Michele Bachmann does not stand with the working people of the land. She’ll sell us out to her corporate friends in a box of religion — this madness has to end! You’re not wanted here so go, just go.”

7.  The Story Of Bo Diddley-The Animals 1963  Selected by Pat Travers (Again)

One of the most influential albums for me was The Animals "Animal Tracks". It was the first LP I ever owned. I guess I was about 10. I learned all the lyrics on this record and can still sing along with them to this day. Especially this one "The Story Of Bo Diddley". It's about a fictional meeting of Bo and The Animals in New Castle England. This is really cool now that Sandy Gennaro has the authentic Bo Diddley experience for me to ask about. So see if you can groove to this Rockin' Rhythm by the Animals channeling Bo Diddely in "The Story Of Bo Diddley" Cheers, PT

8.  I Just Want To Make Love To You-Etta James 1961  Selected by Mark Stegall

Etta James` B-side of At Last (#47 in 61) was I Just Want To Make Love To You. Read recently that she is very ill, wish her the best.

9.  Christian Rock-John Moreland & The Dust Bowl Souls Selected by Nine Bullets

Look up “prolific” in the dictionary. There is a good chance John’s picture is there. In the past 12 months, John has released 25 songs. Two full CDs, a two song EP and a 3 song EP. Most artists are lucky to get a decent 10 songs in 12 months. Of course, your first inclination is to think “there has got to be a lot of filler in there.” HA! I dare you to listen to any song on Everything the Hard Way and not think you have just heard the greatest lyric ever written.


10. Don't Beat My Ass (With A Baseball Bat) Goo Goo Dolls 1987 Selected by Martin Daniels.

Dare to be different!

Thanks to all that helped compiled this top ten.

And thanks to all who have supported me by reading them. 

No comments: