Thursday, December 22, 2011

Christmas Time Once Again

I want to thank everybody for making this month the most viewed in history.  Let's hope we can keep it going.

For the first time since 2005, we are not going to have a white Christmas.  The weather has been delightfully warm and we didn't have to go slip and sliding on the way to work and other places.  2006 we had the infamous ice storm that took out the power here for 3 days, the next four had to endure foot of snow or ice.  Joe Winters is pissed off, but if he really wants the snow, there's Minneapolis.

For Christmas music this year I went and got Willie Nelson's Pretty Paper and Elvis Christmas Album in the buck bins at Stuff. Etc.  Outside of that I was played the usual, Yuletunes, the Power Pop Christmas album I got last year still sounds fine and of course selected cuts from albums that I enjoy.

Cumulus Radio and Clear Channel really suck at this time of year.  When me and Nicole ate at Green Leaves, the only Chinese place she'll eat at,  they played John Lennon's Happy Xmas (War Is Over) and somebody singing Winter Wonderland which is inescapable I guess.  When I went to get my hair trim at Great Clips, fucking Mix 96.5, played John Lennon over there and...you guessed it, Winter Wonderland.  Which really sets me off and makes me wonder about the mindset of Cumulus Radio or Clear Channel who owns 96.5. (KDAT is Cumulus owned).  We get burned out and sick of hearing the same old Christmas Crap when it begins on November 1 and hangs around till New Year's like bad eggnog.  The Christmas playlist is so GDammed predictable that these yayhoos never bother to change the damn song.  Pure laziness when you have to hear Winter Wonderland in four different versions in a single hour setting.  And then hearing what KDAT did and Mix 96.5 copy cat 10 minutes later shows you how awful radio is. Even more so in the damn Christmas season.  You cannot escape from Rockin Away The Christmas Tree or Jingle Bell Rock.  Never in a era that we have so much music out there and so little outlet to play it on.  It's to the point that I never care to hear any version of Do You Hear What I Hear or Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, or whatever the fuck Mariah Carey is screaming about.  Or Vanessa Williams.  There's much more Christmas music out there for the masses to at least hear than what Clear Channel or Cumulus sticks down our throat.  There's more to life than A Very Special Christmas marathon of the same old same old.  However I was very surprised that KKRQ The Fox played Foghat's Run Run Rudolph.  First time I ever heard it on the radio and I have the 45 too.

Happy Holidays Everybody
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0ms2AwuGkE   Run Run Rudolph By Foghat.

No comments: