Friday, August 5, 2011

A 1,000 Views For The Rock n Roll Brains Blog & Groove Sandwich & Engine 145

Thanks everybody for pushing the Brains Blog over a 1,000 views.  I don't think there'll be another blog that will be that successful.  We did it Andy McKie, now get out and reissue The Brains's albums.  Make it a limited edition of 1,000 I think you can sell them all.

http://groovesandwich.typepad.com/groove-sandwich/

A new fun site for more record reviews and other assorted observation for your entertainment.  You're Welcome.  I love the way this guy thinks.  Especially on Limp Bizkit and 80s hair metal.  I came across his site via Rolling Stone I think under the review of the new 311 CD.  He just started out, so check his site out often.

http://www.engine145.com/blog/

Another new site to tell you about, this is more in tune with the Americana Country side of things. Somewhat like No Depression but more of a country slant.


Major labels suck.  They're too busy throwing out overpriced Expanded Editions and The Brains album can't get reissued.

Strange how the top ten goes week by week.  Last week, Alternatives made it all the way to all time top ten, but the followup only gotten five views even despite a name change.  The way it goes I guess.  Maybe I'll fire the Crabb PR department...

Next week brings the Madison Bargain hunts Date to be determined.

Breaking Benjamin broke up after the lead singer fired the guitarist and bass player over a remixed and recorded song.  I know you don't care, I never much gotten into their music either.

U2 Achtung Baby expanded into a massive box set.  Anything for the almighty buck. Includes a very big 10 disc of outtakes and even Zooropa. figures into this.  Lotta people consider this better than Joshua Tree or the overblown Unforgettible Fire but I look at U2 with suspicion.  They tend to think themselves as the only band that should matters for you which means they're open for potshots.  For the 447 dollar price tag, showcases what U2 does best: bombast.  And basically for that price they should have thrown in the turntable to play the vinyl albums.  And who would guessed that the Star glasses that Bono wears are made in china?

And on a different note: Nazareth is getting a 4 CD box set treatment of their best known and BBC sessions. I have about 8 albums from them but never play them all that much outside of Loud N Proud which is my go to album rather than Hair Of The Dog, one of the must own albums of the 70s.  Even 2XS, their 1982 album gets played here more than Hair but like everybody else, I never really gave them much thought except for the 1998 Boogaloo which came out through CMC International.

Finally, I must have been a mutant of the 70s since I never bought Frampton Comes Alive on LP or CD (but did on the overplayed Show Me The Way and Do You Feel Like We Do 45s). But for somebody who was scorned and ridiculed with I'm In You and the Sgt. Pepper movie, Peter Frampton has been doing a comeback of sorts with his Frampton Comes Alive 35 tour.  May be worth going if he's in your area.

As the month of August goes onward. I maybe taking a few off in here. Usually it's that time of year to which I take stock of things and go do something constructive.   Be it bargain hunting in Mad City or spending time with Nicole on weekends, I'll be around to continue to cast opinions whenever necessary and do the top ten of the week like clockwork.  And react accordingly when I view the ratings.  Great to see something I wrote top a 1,000 views.  But I do get a bit concerned when the top ten goes up and down like a roller coaster from over 50 views to less than 5.

And Leo Greco is an icon in this area!

5 comments:

Groove Sandwich said...

Thanks for the shout out!

R S Crabb said...

Thanks for stopping by! :)

TAD said...

Crabby: Congrats on hitting 1,000.
& I like this Groove Sandwich guy. He's pretty funny, lotta potential....

drewzepmeister said...

As much of a U2 fan I am, I don't see myself shelling out $447 for a box set. Although getting my hands on some rare U2 outtakes would be a treat, but the price is just ludicrous. I'll wait...

I also have eight albums from Nazareth. The ones I have are Razamanaz,Rampant,Hair of the Dog,Play n' the Game,Expect No Mercy,No Mean City,'Snaz and the Very Best of Nazareth. The one I listen to the most is Expect No Mercy.

R S Crabb said...

Hi Drew, The Nazareth albums I have are Ratamazz, Loud n Proud, Rampant, Hair Of The Dog, Close Enough For Rock n Roll, Malice In Wonderland 2XS, Buglaoo, and the Classics cd. Guess I had an extra CD so I have 9 of them. Heard good things about Expect No Mercy, since Steve at work calls it their best.

As for Actung Baby, I'm not that all in awe in springing on anything reissue but if I can find the cd for a dollar on my next Mad City bargain hunt perhaps I'll pick it up and listen to it although I wasn't much a fan of it but liked Zooropa better (go figure).

Hey TAD, Groove Sandwich blogsite is a fun read, kind of reminds me of Mark Prindle but without the graphic talk that Mark does sometimes. I may not buy the new 311 CD but glad I did find The Groove Sandwich site. He's lot like you and me, trying to champion the lesser known and keep good music alive.