Saturday, August 6, 2011

Crabb Bits: This n That

It's tough to add new music when you pass 40 - it takes a lot of work and an open mind-Brad Laidman

Maybe so for the majority of folks not close by to a used music store or Goodwill, but for the open minded Crabb, he needs to find something out there to counter the overplayed.  Too bad you couldn't write Margaritaville or Don't Stop Believein'.  You may not have to work ever again due to all them royalty checks coming to you in the mail.

I'm thinking of taking some time away from Top Ten Of The Week but don't be discouraged.  I will have a guest come in here and give his version in the coming few weeks.   Al Kooper anyone? 

It makes no sense to own product.-Bob Lefsetz

Coming from Mr. Streaming himself you can pretty much tell he's not into albums.  I want to own product so I can read the liner notes and see who did what Bob.  If I lived in a studio apartment I could see your point but you'll never sell me on streaming only.  Unless I'm over at the GF's place.

BTW, I can't afford to keep up on the new technology which makes today look like last the decade the next week.  May not agree with you Bob but I rather have physical product. Reference: http://lefsetz.com/wordpress/index.php/archives/2011/08/05/moving-to-streaming/

I am more inclined to read music blogs more than check out new bands.  Since turning 50, I have a hard time trying to see what the fascination of new bands out that Spin or Rolling Stone tout as the next big thing.  Lollapooza 20 I could care less who's playing anymore.  Most I don't know about or think are overrated.  When you can get over 100 years of recording via the net, it makes breaking new bands in that much harder.  Then there's the Sheryl Crow Syndrome, to which if there's a project or album from somebody in my era out, somehow Ms. Crow has to make a appearance on it.  I still don't understand why the love affair with Sheryl Crow, who manages to suck the life out of First Cut Is The Deepest, and I may have to pass on the Hank Williams unrecorded lyrics album but should they make one that is Crow free, I'll buy it.

On the subject of Warren Haynes' Man In Motion:  Too bad Stax Records didn't add the bonus cuts of that cd to the 2 record set they put out.


Beer wars: Old Style and Cubs Baseball will be a thing of the past after this season.  It's being replaced by Coors Light.  Yuck.  Budweiser in a attempt to sell more beer has redesigned their beer can.  You can paint it gold and make it glow in the dark but you can't polish a turd or can of piss.  One thing about Budweiser though is that they helped me quit drinking beer.  I think it was around 1992 or so, me and my best friend went out drinking and had seven pitchers of Bud to which we went driving to God knows where and by the time I got home, that buzz became a bizz and ended up hugging the pot and talking to Ralph all night.  Since then I never drank Budweiser again.  Old Style was different but it made me fart more than Bud which gave me a headache.  And so it goes.  But it used to be that beer commercials used to be fun and made it look like drinking beer was fun.  Hell, Miller's When You Got The Time, We Got The Beer was groovy enough itself, or When You Say Bud or This Bud's For You with Lou Rawls telling you that.  What you got nowadays?  Some 7 year old strumming to a old Grunge tune for Budweiser or the Bud Light which make people look stupid and do dumb things.  Here we go indeed.  Too much is given to scantly clad chicks serving you up a Miller Light, unfortunately when you do buy the beer, you don't get the scantly clad bartender chick.  Just the bland tasting beer.  Not the same thing at all.

Which still makes me wish for forty years back to see Bubba Smith (RIP) raving about that easy opening can of Lite Beer which he rips open.  That's how they got me to drink the stuff in the first place.

Finally, after 1,000 views the Rock n Roll Brains Blog is finally slowing down having three times as many views than the rest of the top ten blogs put together.  I like to think it accounted for something but I'm certain Universal still will not reissue their albums anytime soon.  Which is why the major labels suck. They reissue U2 and put some albums out in expanded form but yet sits on other albums crying out for reissue.

Still if you want to throw a big FU at both the major labels and Bob Lefsetz' constant banter about eliminating cds and albums, you can do one thing.  Buy used.  It won't shut him up but at least you'll get to read the liner notes and hold it in your hands.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hiya and welcome rscrabb.blogspot.com owner discovered your site via yahoo but it was hard to find and I see you could have more visitors because there are not so many comments yet. I have found website which offer to dramtically increase traffic to your website http://xrumerservice.org they claim they managed to get close to 1000 visitors/day using their services you could also get lot more targeted traffic from search engines as you have now. I used their services and got significantly more visitors to my website. Hope this helps :) They offer backlink check seo reports backlinks one way backlinks Take care. John

R S Crabb said...

Thanks John. I enjoy being a cult and having a out of the way blog, I'm sure there's more out there better than this. If I really want to ruffle some feathers all I have to so is blog something like Jessie J sucks and that'll bring out the teenage J Brigade. But I'm waiting the right time for that. Cheers.