Sunday, February 6, 2011

The Last Beaker Street Notes

Notes to the final Beaker Street on The Point.  UPDATE 2021, Beaker Street lives on on the Arkansas Rocks network and Tyler Vincent taking notes and track by track on Beaker Street Playlist. 
https://beakerstreetsetlists.com/

I am listening to final Beaker Street Broadcast from The Point and the one thing I gotta say, is that the Point's streaming is Godawful.  Too tinny but I'll be posting off and on till the midnight hour and seeing what they bring up.
The big surprise is hearing the Yardbirds doing Dazed And Confused off the long discarded Live Yardbirds that Epic put out and added fake audience sounds in the background.  Only other time I heard this was off KUNI when Bob Dorr trotted it out one night.  He had a well worn copy of it.  Somehow it got reissued by some dedicated folk.  The CD sound is quite remarkable, unlike the Epic album. 

We're not hearing any of the commercials from the point, just instrumental music.  Perhaps it's just as well.
The 10 PM showcased the full version of Steppenwolf's Monster from that album.  I remember getting the album from the Salvation Army years ago.  Basically you seldom ever hear the single version anyway.

Fresh Air from Quicksilver Messenger Service.  Another mainstay of Clyde's show.

Clyde is playing my request Jamie  Brockett's Legend Of The USS Titanic, and I'm sure I wasn't the only one requested that.  Next to Cindy's Crying by Deep Water Reunion it's one of the most requested song on Beaker Street.


Clyde has played a lotta latter day Emerson Lake And Palmer, Black Moon being one of them.  But then again I haven't paid much attention to ELP since their 1978 Love Beach.  Less said the better about that crapfest.

White Bird-It's A Beautiful Day another mainstay of the BB show.  IABD's albums would never stay in print thanks to Matthew Katz and his visit to the lawsuit store every other day.  Then again the most unlucky band still remains Moby Grape.

The Smoker You Drink, The Player You Get gets a lot of airplay.,the lesser played that is.  Midnight Moodies/Happy Ways  another BB mainstay.  Of course I can tell this record gets played a lot due pops and scratches.

Time Has Come Today-The Chambers Brothers, Clyde is bringing out the heavy hitters.  Espeically the long 11 minute version of said song.  Of course the way things are going, Clyde is pretty much  going make me rewrite the next top ten of the week.  I never heard the full version till I bought the Best Of Chambers Brothers LP in 1977.

Locomotive Breath-Jethro Tull, that didn't become a hit till 1976 when it was put on the MU Best Of.  Bought the 45 which was an edited.  Originally on Aqualung, not of my favorite Tull albums but just my opinion.

Morning Dew-Tim Rose another BB mainstay though I haven't heard it much outside BB.  More familiar with the Lulu and Grateful Dead version but I did find Tim Rose's version from Rock Artifacts Volume 4, that compliation of music from the CBS/Sony Vaults. Oops Clyde threw a curve, he played the version from The Hour Glass.  Or was it the Allman Joys?  Don't see it on any Allman Brothers album.  Correction: The Tim Rose number on Artifacts Volume 4 was Hey Joe, not Morning Dew.

Stoned Cowboy-Fantasy 1970  One of those oddball 45s that I bought. Never heard the full 6 minute version till I heard on Beaker Street.  Seen the LP at Goodwill years ago but never bought it.  But while talking to somebody on Beaker Street Blog he mentioned he never heard the 45 version.  First time for everything. You wanna hear it?  You can't, due to You Tube copyright infringements. But I'm sure it's out there.

2,000 Light Years From Home-one of the lesser known Rolling Stones selections that is another BS nugget.

Final song, The Circle Game Joni Mitchell.  First time I heard this, more familiar with the Tom Rush version.


2 comments:

and then there was METAL said...

streaming instrumentals is nice

-Metalcore

Anonymous said...

I don't think the Blackeyed Peas rocked. Let's just say I won't ever see them in concert, I'll save my money. I like their CD's better.

I guess it's one of those things. You like a person or groups CD, but don't care to watch them perform. At least I know.

I'm itching to see Kid Rock and Uncle Kracker in concert yet again. Seen Kid Rock in concert 2 times and Uncle Kracker 3 times. Last time I saw either one was May 2010 together on stage. Fun!