Monday, February 14, 2011

The Grammys 2011

I didn't watch the Grammys TM since I had to work but I was kept entertained by the things that I have seen on Twitter last night.  It used to be that we used to get all worked up over the slightest thing that was the GrammysTM but I really didn't care that much about the outrageous Lady Gaga and her remake of Madonna's Express Yourself.  Gaga is the new Madonna and for her generation not mine.  That's why I don't comment on her and her train wreck television.  I guess if I was impressed with anything it would have been Mick Jagger's appearance and cover of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love, the late Solomon Burke song.  We all figured that Cee Lo wouldn't win with Fuck You so NARAS did the next big thing and gave record of the year to The Arcade Fire in terms of surprise being thrown to us.   I'm sure the Alt rock crowd is head over heels over that.  It doesn't make a bit of difference to me,  Not into them nor this will make me go out and buy their album.  The Emenim folks are bitching for sure but again last I checked the sun came up this morning.  Life goes on.  Buy it or don't.  http://whoisarcadefire.tumblr.com/

But then again, if  old hag Tawny Kitaen or Rosie O'Donnell is complaining about The Arcade Fire maybe I might buy it just to piss them off.  Moving on....

Lady Antebellum, when I reviewed their first album I had a vision that somewhere down the line that they would be the next big country thing and Capitol sat on their album a good six months after Love Don't Live Here was released as a single.  I still think that's their best song.  Need You Now has been on every type of radio format except rap and metal and anywhere you go, you cannot escape that song.  While some of the naive may think it's about a long lost love, if you take a closer look at the lyrics, it's more like a booty call.  In some ways it reminds me of the Police Every Step You Take, to which Sting sings like a stalker stalking somebody.  Need You Now is of the horny lonely babe, overtaken by memories and a good lay calling up the old flame to ring her bell.   That's how I perceive it, your opinion may differ.  If it's of good Public Relations from their PR personnel or the powers to be to keep it in radio rotation for the past year and half then it does deserve its song of the year status.  After all, Need You Now is forever entrenched in the playlist at KDAT till the end of time.  Just like Hey Soul Sister by Pat Monahan and Train which won a Grammy TM even though it came out in 2008.  And continues to grate on people's nerves ever since.  With the success of the two albums Lady Antebellum has put out, Hillary Scott has gone much further than her mom Linda Davis did in her country career.  Davis recorded for Liberty, Arista and Dreamworks in the 90s with some success.  But not like the breakout Lady Antebellum has had.  And I just found out that Davis is younger than I am.  Doesn't that make me feel old.

As for Esperanza Spalding?  Who is she?

So who won that mattered most to me?

Best Female Vocal Award-Miranda Lambert The House That Built Me
Best Pop Instrumental Performance-Jeff Beck Nessun Dorma 
Best Solo Rock Performance-Paul McCartney Helter Skelter
Best Rock Performance Duo-Black Keys Tighten Up
Best Hard Rock-Them Crooked Vultures-New Fang
Best Metal-Iron Maiden El Dorado
Best Rock Instrumental-Jeff Beck-Hammerhead
Best Rock Song-Neil Young-Angry World
Best Rock Album-The Muse-The Resistance
Best Alternative Album-The Black Keys-Brothers
Best Trad R & B-Johnny Legend & The Roots-Hang On In There
Best Alternative Urban-Cee Lo-Fuck You
Best R & B Album-John Legend & The Roots Wake Up!
Best Male Country-Keith Urban When Summer Comes Around
Best Country Instrumental-Marty Stuart
Best Gospel Rock Album-Switchfoot  Hello Hurricane
Best Gospel Country Album-Diamond Reo The Reason
Best Traditional Gospel Album-Patty Griffin Downtown Church
Best Americana Album-Mavis Staples You Are Not Alone
Best Bluegrass Album-Patty Loveless Mountain Soul 2
Best Tradtional Blues-Pinetop Perkins & Willie Big Eyes Smith-Joined At The Hip
Best Contemporary Blues-Buddy Guy-Living Proof
Best Comedy Album-Lewis Black-Stark Raving Black
Best Musical Album-American Idiot (featuring Green Day)
Best Compliaton Soundtrack Album-Crazy Heart
Best Recording Package-The Black Keys Brothers
Best Historical Album-The Beatles Original Studio Recordings
Best Engineered  Album-John Mayer Battle Studies
Producer Of The Year-Danger Mouse
Best Long Form Video-The Doors When You're Strange

Cee Lo Green's Fuck You Video.  Actually it's pretty good soul music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pc0mxOXbWIU

The PG Version of Forget You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxodgpyGec&feature=relmfu


1 comment:

drewzepmeister said...

I haven't watched the Grammys since Slash and Duff McKagan received an award while drunk (or was the VMA? Goes to show how well I keep with these things). Over the years the music has gotten so far into the left field that I no longer care who's being nominated. The focus seems to have shifted from quality music to the outrageous and/or popular. To me, all it mattered to them is what sells.

Yet, I'm glad that Neil Young, Them Crooked Vultures, Paul McCartney, Jeff Beck, Muse and the Black Keys won. They deserve their recognition...