Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hard To Find 45's Part 3

For the most part, I have to come to find that if I want to find a certain 45, that I can find them on You Tube.  It's beyond belief to find forgotten stuff of long ago and far away.

I grew up in a family that loved music, in fact Momma would always treat me, when we can afford it to some new 7 inch singles that was found at old liquor stores, Woolworth's or Goodwill when they were 5 cents each.  This was back in the 60's so I'm showing my age.  The majority of them are still in our procession although the ones that my father has are pretty beat up.  I provide you three selections that have yet to make the You Tube field simply of the fact that nobody has any copies made.   Or maybe they were one of a kind.

She Ain't A Yacht/Lover's Cove by The Cabin Crew (Dimension 1031) 1964

Among one of the records in my dad's collection is a faded 45 that got the label wore off and for the past couple months I have been trying to make heads or tails of this forgotten gem.  The only time it was mentioned was in a Dimension Discography to which I finally was revealed the title of She's Ain't A Yacht.  If memory serves me well, this record was found at the downtown Waterloo Salvation Army store.  Not much is known about the Cabin Crew, and Lover's Cove may have been the A side and it reminds me of The Beach Boys' Surfer Girl.   The B Side She Ain't A Yacht, was played many times and sounded like it but it tells of a story of a guy trading his hot rod for a yacht boat and he goes racing up and down the ocean.  The melody is kind of like Wild One by Bobby Rydell but the vocals recall Beach Boys or Jan And Dean.  It could be argued that Jan & Dean did sing backing vocal on this song but it's all speculation.  But the surfing yacht craze never did catch on and The Cabin Crew sailed off into the sunset.

One Beer-Chuck Murphy With Pee Wee Erwin's Dixieland Band (Coral 61014) 1953

Another forgotten record of the past that I was trying to find over the internet but the only copy I came across via the net was a 78 which don't do nothing for me since I don't have a 78 record player so I to reference the old scratchy 45 that was in my dad's record collection.  The record has seen better days and it wouldn't surprise me if somebody left it on the highway for a while.   Chuck Murphy is one of the forgotten minor stars of the early 50s,  he started out covering Louis Jordan in They Raided The Joint and Lay Something On The Table Besides Your Elbow.  He may have been a early rockabilly star but he actually sang a lot like Moon Mullican.  He was influenced by Fats Waller as well as Jordan.  He did a couple of crossover selections with Pee Wee Erwin's Dixieland Band, to which one of them was One Beer.   The lyrics are a hoot.

One beer makes you so sincere
Two beers make you cry
Three beers and you're full of cheer
Four beers you heave a sigh
Five beers and you wink your eye
To somebody passing by
Six beers and you have to go
So you women say goodbye

Now the final line might be So you went and say goodbye and it might be what Murphy is singing but to my ears it would be easier to sing it that way.  Or perhaps Chuck Murphy was trying to keep it PC.  Anyhoo, One Beer may have been the B side to the super silly 2D Girl In A 3D Town to which Murphy changes the melody over to boogie woogie while the Dixieland band grooves with horn counterpoints.  But unfortunately I couldn't play that side of the record since it skipped all over the record player.  But it was more rocking than dixieland to be sure.  Chuck Murphy would go over to Columbia for a few more choice rockabilly sides before retiring.. Found the 45 in its sorry state at a flea market years later.  Easier to find on 78 judging of the fact that perhaps I may have scored the only 45 of this number.

Too Many Mornings/Life Goes On by Fresh Air 1972 (Columbia 4-45697)

My last offering of the hard to find 45's come from a country band that recorded one album for Columbia.  This promo came from CD's 4 Change last week and it's in a sorry state too.  The promo notes this band came from 1000 Oaks California and they had country rock influences from Crosby Stills & Nash and even a bit of bluegrass and easy listening country too.  Kinda like a more mellower Poco.  The only player of this band who was halfway known was Don Heffington and he didn't even play on the failed hit single of Too many Mornings (Hal Blaine did the honors).  B side was the more uptempo Life Goes On.  Too bad Columbia didn't decide to go with the more country flavored Continental Highway and give that to country radio but Columbia never promoted this band all that well judging by the promo sheet that came with the record.   They were never heard from again.

No comments: