Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Booyah Blizzard

It's here.  Winter Storm number 2 came roaring into our area around 2 PM and turned into a full blown blizzard two hours later.  I've been outside trying to clear the path to the car and clean the snow off the the cars but every hour the wind just blows it back all over the cars and drifts over the paths outside.

The roads are terrible, travel not recommended and it's a bitch being outside more than 15 minutes at a time.  You gotta give a big hand to the snowplow drivers out there trying to clear a path.  Thankfully this storm didn't give us any ice.  I'd rather have a foot of snow than a inch and half of ice anyday.

School is canceled from Des Moines to Iowa City up to Madison and I'm sure Chicago is getting hit.  Even Oklahoma City got 10 inches of this.  Even Detroit will get about 10 inches of this too.  Folks in St Louis got both ice and snow.  I'm sure there has been storms of the century out there every winter and it's too early to tell how much this will be of historical events.   Could be worse, folks in Australia have got a 400 mile long cyclone coming toward them and they just got over a big flood event last month.

No I didn't go to work, otherwise I would have been stranded out there or in a ditch trying to get there. It's so bad I'm sure that third shift will be called off.  Probably means we may have to work the weekend but that's okay with me.   I got word that the University of Iowa Campus in Iowa City they have snowdrifts 2 to 3 feet tall.  I'm also certain that we probably 2 to 3 drifts on the road to Highway 151 right now.  Not driving out to find out, my brother got the snowplow parked behind the cars!

I'm sure I'll be adding updates as the night goes on.  Time for me to go clear the snow off the cars again.  It doesn't look like they been touched....

UPDATE 1:  They now predicting 18 inches of the white shit here now.  I think we are halfway there.

UPDATE 2 : 9PM  Been getting two inches an hour here, plus thundersnow.  Winds are blowing so bad that I cannot see the church across the street here.  There's a snowdrift right up to my car's driver side.  And the worst is yet to come.

UPDATE 3: 11 PM  Snow covered up the damn cars again, I keep cleaning them off, wind blows it back on them 15 minutes later.  Travel not recommended anywhere here, winds have drifted all the roads in town shut. 35 MPH winds from the North, visibility is one block tops.

UPDATE: Midnight, Still blowing, still coming down, my footprints from going out to the road disappeared in snow and that was an hour ago.  Till the winds die down, I doubt things will improve.

ONE AM:  Snow has tapered off a lot, I can now see County Home Road from here but the winds are still strong and still drifting.  Gawd it's going to be a bitch shoveling this white shit when things are over.  Next up, watch the temps go below zero....

PS:  The storm was winding down when I went to bed around 2 AM but we had plenty of blowing and drifting snow to the point that the snowdrifts were right up to the car outside.  I think the snow wasn't falling from the skies at that point but there was so much on ground blowing that one couldn't tell if it was.  Anyway it looks like we'll be shoveling this shit for the day.  Perhaps we'll be out and about tomorrow.  Provided if the damn snowplows don't wall us in the driveway.  Can't wait for spring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

They've been calling for 10 to 15 inches since yesterday for Detroit. This morning I found out it could be up to 18 to 20 inches.