Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Top Ten Of The Week-Here, There Everywhere

No shortage of finding things in the cutouts and in the pawnshops. Plus new music to contend with. Gotta feed the frenzy of my five favorite followers. You know who you are.

1. Bad Company-Bad Company 1974 Yeah, I heard the new version from Five Finger Death Punch and like Limp Bizkit deconstructing The Who's Behind Blue Eyes a few years ago makes this unlistenable. Wasn't a hit for Bad Company but classic rock radio plays it to death too.

2. Monkey Suit-Elton John & Leon Russell 2010 I'm sure most of you don't give a shit but when I heard that Sir Elton was making an album with Brother Leon I had to add it on my list of things to listen to. Actually The Union is pretty good, not that Elton has been making bad ones, I did enjoy The Captain And The Kid but Leon needed a good album since he's been putting out turds for the past two decades. Elton gets more soulful with age and least Leon sounds like he's awake this time out. John Henry Burnett production gets in the way sometimes and hasn't he learned from the Bob Dylan albums of the 80s not to use soul sisters screaming in the background? Good album but leave the soul sisters at the church next time T Bone.

3. Stupid Girl-Rolling Stones 1966 Even if they never put out another album The Stones have reminded us at times why they were known as The Greatest Rock and Roll Band Ever which is debatable since I grew up a hardcore Who fan. Eagle Rock has put out Ladies & Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones on DVD and blue ray and with Mick Taylor in tow, they did rock hard and often. I never considered getting Aftermath till hearing this song on XM radio in Arizona and it reminds me more of Sam The Sham then Muddy Waters. Which isn't a knock since I love Sam The Sham and The Pharaohs. Found this on DSD which adds a bit more clarity but since Dave Hassinger recorded everything in a bowling alley tends to date itself.

4. Bye Bye Love-Simon & Garfunkel 1970 Found this on gold disc at the pawnshop and this knocks even the re remaster out of the way. Bridge Over Troubled Water is a love hate album for me, some of the songs I like, some I don't and the title track I can take or leave. But when Paul and Art cover The Everly Brothers I do take notice. My favorite track off that album hands down.

5. 495 Boogie-Foghat 2010 For the past three months I have been getting emails from the Foghat site at Facebook to buy their blues based Last Train Home and kept throwing good reviews so finally I caved in and decided to check it out and just like I figured, I didn't like it much. It's one thing to cover the blues and they did it good when Lonesome Dave and Rod Price was around but Charlie Huhn doesn't have it. Bryan Bassett knows how to play guitar and did helped Molly Hatchet make one decent album before joining Foghat. We really don't need another cover of It Hurts Me Too or Feels So Bad, Dave sang it better. But what they should have done was make it a blues instrumental album, then that would have been something to hear. Last Train Home isn't a bad album but it's not something that's going to be in regular rotation on my player. Sorry guys.

6. Red Dirt Road-Brooks & Dunn 2003 My GF tells me that I don't listen to enough new country to which I tell her but dear new country sucks, well most of it anyway. I do tend to pull something out once in a while from Keith Urban or Love & Theft and Blackhawk's first album still remains on the shelf. Hard to fathom 20 years ago just about that B and D gave us that GD Boot Scoot Boogie which gives me nightmares of spending too much time at Desoda's and thinking that I was going to get lucky and going home disappointed. I am really not a big fan of B & D but thankfully they gotten away with that numbskull line dance number and gave us better songs. Red Dirt Road is one of the few songs that I do play from time to time and don't change the channel on KHAK which is rare. And I put this song up just to see if she's still reading the top ten like she says she does. Love ya too dear.

7. Temptation-Joan Armatrading 1985 Stolen from TAD's list of songs, I did buy this on 45 years ago but not sure if the FM stations played it all that much. Public Radio did. I think her biggest hit was Drop The Pilot but then again radio didn't play it all that much either.

8. Whole Way Down-The Randy Cliffs 2003 For a dollar CD this has been the most played this year. Something about sloppy barroom rock and roll always does that to me. They were from Madison or hung around there but by the time I found their classic Trixie's Trailer Sales they broke up and then reunited once again and broke up again. If Kings Of Leon were this sloppy good I'd be a fan for life too. That reminds me....I need to get the new Kings Of Leon CD.

9. Wives & Lovers-Jack Jones 1963 Another forgotten pop classic till I came across on a budget compliation called Jackpot! The Las Vegas Story which came out on Rhino years ago. Came with miniature dice to boot. To which I think this top ten reminds me of radio in the 60s. We played just about everything....except Bad Company by Five Finger Death Punch.

10. Transmission-Joy Division 1978 Sure Love Will Tear Us Apart is a classic but for good paranoid fun I perfer this little nifty number that Ian Curtis gave the world. Too damn bad he had to hang himself. Joy Division has had more best ofs than actual albums but Substance, the first one that Quincy Jones put out remains my go to when I want to hear Ian and company. As for New Order.....I have yet to buy their albums. Maybe someday.....

...

No comments: