Tuesday, October 12, 2010

The Last Bargain Hunt-Madison Part 3

Heading to Madison one last time before the winter comes through, I decided that The Madison Bargain Hunts would be the final time I would do this. And they have must have known that I was coming.

Pawn America, the superstore pawnshop had CDs for 99 cents, every single one no questions asked unless it was a boxed set and I didn't see any. With six rows of Cds stacked to the brim, it took me about 3 hours yesterday and another 2 and half hours on the comeback. It amazed me of what I found. Parts 1 through 4 of Black Sabbath's Under Wheels Of Confusion box set (Cds only, no booklet to be found). Led Zeppelin 4, Rolling Stones Some Girls, Levon Helm Electric Dirt, Ben Orr's The Lace was few of the 35 CDs that was found there. I wasn't the only one scouring through the bins like buzzards picking apart roadkill, I saw some dude that had 2 baskets of CDs racing through, and throwing them into the basket without regard. I saw some of them that I passed over since I thought they were too scratched up and he loaded up on the Ozzy and whatever Metallica had out but heh heh, he missed that like new ZOSO Zeppelin cd.

For vinyl, I did get the Neil Young Le Noise and Belle & Sebastian Write About Love since I didn't want digipaks and some dollar stuff of no real value (Bad Company Holy Water, Jim Ed Brown & The Browns, Steve Miller Born T.B. Blue (passed on Italian X-Rays, that one sucked)), but overall the grand total was more than Arizona to which I decided that I'll be listening to most of this till end of year. Unfortunately, I didn't make it to Strictly Discs, thought he closed at 9, he closed at 8 and therefore couldn't buy him out. Sorry Steve, I didn't find the Slade CD that you wanted but if you have a record player you can have my vinyl copy of Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply.....

The weather was perfect, nice sunny and warm? In the middle of October the temps hit 80 degrees both days I was up there but I kinda wished for some wind to stir the waters up on Lake Monona, too much green sentiment and it reeked. Both nights, I parked the car on Williamson Street and did the mile trek to State Street, and tonight went all the way into the UW campus. But of course I almost got ran over by some black idiot on a moped that didn't yield the right of way, another dumb black idiot bumped into me and he got a few choice words thrown at him, told him to get the fuck over and called him a ignoramus. While taking some photos of the capital at night had some homeless toothless old hag telling her blow buddy homeless freak to watch me to which I looked at her and mention she should consider putting her GD teeth in her mouth and perhaps she should change her tampon once more than every other century but then again that would put a cramp on her cigarette budget. Told her unless you have a bar of soap on you, I seriously doubt that you have anything I remotely would consider. Do us a favor and die of cancer please. Again, I'm a nice guy, it's toothless hag smokers and dumb black that don't watch where they're going that piss me off. And my rant and raving mode almost got ran over by a car. I love Madison but GD, I'm surprised that I'm not ran over yet.

It was very nice on the overlook at Monona Terrace to which I saw a pretty half quarter moon and a slight breeze. I'm thinking my GF would have loved to been there and perhaps the next time she might be. For the most part I think I did too much walking so I'm pretty sore in the legs. Plus I didn't sleep all that great at the Microtel so I'm sure I'll be sleeping fine. On a good note, Cracker Barrel did have chicken and dumplings. Plus I had pancakes the next day. Pancakes always sound good but they seem to fill me up sooner than I like.

So ends the Madison Bargain Hunts for the last time this year. Been fun but I think I have enough tunes to keep me occupied for a while. That's for sure.

PS: Pawn America---I enjoy sorting through six rows of CDs but didn't care much for the Autotuner Rap/Dance music channel they had piped through the store.

On the way home I decided to stop in Mineral Point and take some night photos of the haunted Walker House, which is up for sale. I don't know if they will turn out but it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Fiesta Village in Mesa-20 years ago when I went to Arizona for the yearly vacation, I would stop at this old area when Rockaway Records was still in business and hang out there for hours on end but in 1999 after the Fiesta Village Movie House closed up shop, the whole place went to hell in a handbasket and they eventually fenced everything off. Such a shame, there was a comic book store next to Rockaway and Applebee's was there too, till they closed it down. Anyway, the Mesa City Council has now ordered the development company that owns it to clean it up or else. I don't really see anything coming out of it since it's been in that shape in over 10 years. Down there they tend to abandon things in favor of the more newer and fancier places. That area hasn't been the same since they closed that and Tower Records went out of business across the street. It just feels like a ghost town when I walk past that area.