Monday, January 25, 2010

My Love Hate Affair With Taylor Swift

Radio is torture. Espeically country radio.

I still like Taylor Swift; she made Saturday Night Live worth watching when she host it back in October. The problem I have with her is the overplayed You Belong To Me, which has now moved over to lite rock. I started hating her when that song invaded my dreams one night and constantly played over and over for three long hours. And then going to both Stuff Etc stores in Iowa City and hearing that song in both stores.

That song was number on the charts here for six straight weeks and the video was your typical teen fluff, boy overlooks geeky girl next door for stuck up cheerleader and then they connect at the high school dance soon afterwards. Real life usually isn't that, real life, the geeky girl still gets passed over for the stuck up cheerleader that her love interests goes for. Half a year ago, I did consider it a good top forty song but after six months of hearing it everywhere i go and every radio station that has a country or top forty format played it, is sick of it to the point that I just gag when I hear it and then have to deal with it in my head for three hours afterward. Hell of a earworm song, 7,000 cds to choose from and my brain plays something I don't have nor want.

In Twitter I had a round two with a Carrie Underwood fan saying that Swift is pop while Carrie isn't. Bullshit, take away the fiddles and steel guitar and Carrie is just as pop as Taylor Swift is. At least Taylor Swift can control her voice unlike Carrie who has to cram all her voice in the final chorus of her songs. I can't say Carrie Underwood is manufactured but she's the most successful singer ever to come out of American Idol, one of the reasons why music went to the cesspool its in now. Taylor Swift did it with My Space and hard work and connecting with her fans whereas Underwood still remains aloof with her fans. And American Idol wouldn't have given Taylor Swift a second look.

Time for Taylor Swift to start coming up with a new song rather than You Belong To Me which has its place in Lite Rock and New Country Radio. It still gets played on a hourly basis on the infamous satellite radio station XM 25, for I have yet to go into Stuff Etc, and not hear it.

I certainly didn't request it.