Friday, January 15, 2010

Middle Age Crisis

As I sit here trying to think of something catchy to talk about, I'm resigned to the fact that as Recordphile that my time is at an end. With FYE closing their doors here it will mean one less music store to hang out, one less place to find the cheap bargains if looking hard enough for them. But it also has been known that I am losing interest in a hobby that has for 45 plus years have shown me every type of music known to man. Except rap although I have been known to play The Roots or Beastie Boys from time to time. Despite it all, I'm still listening to the new CDs from the likes of Ringo Starr and OK GO although the latter is once again recorded so fucking bad, that you wonder whoever recorded it was deaf. Distortion hell I call it.

As I try to plan the happenings of the new year and trying to incorporate my girlfriend into it all, it's becoming quite obvilous that this year will be final year for me to bargain hunt like I do, this was planned long before Nicole popped into this life, it started around the Tower Records closing and the domino effect of music stores closing their doors left and right to the point that Cedar Rapids don't even have a record store like we used to. Half Priced Books came to my rescue with used stuff mind you but they really not a real music store, just like Best Buy isn't a real music store. CDs are nothing more than after thoughts. No longer cutting edge. The Beatles remasters may have been the final straw. What's left to do now?

I been pondering this for the past year or so, even more now that Hastings in Ames is gone and the aforementioned FYE, a store that I hated at times but once the closing their doors sale, the halfwits who passed as clerks asking if I was all right have moved on down the mall and the remaining clerks leave me alone to see what's left to get at 50 percent off. And I get to morned them and shop in peace.

I haven't been a lotta fun of late, and perhaps it's a case of living too long. I have been especially annoyed as hell of our idiot neighbors across the street and their puppy dog running out in the road, and barking at the foot of our driveway. And constantly chasing the little fucker back over, cussing up a storm while The Stoopids let it run. Trying my best to keep my brother from getting the BB gun and popping Puppy in the butt with leadshot. Finally, today I had enough; I'd call the local sheriff to go tell the stupid bitch over there to keep an eye on this dog before it gets run over by a speeding pickup truck or shot by an irate person. It's was good to know when the Linn County Deputy went past there, he almost ran over the damn dog so hopefully he prove his point to the no brained bimbo over there to keep their dogs in their own yard. These folks should be barred from having animals, they didn't take care of their beagle who cries out in the makeshift kennel they made for it for the past three years, and they not going have this dog running around the neighborhood either. I try to be a good neighbor but sometimes you have those who simply don't want to be good neighbors, see how much they can get away with. Especially with their oldest speeding standing on his snowmobile and jumping into our ditch in the process. This neighborhood, we like to keep to ourselves and would like to keep it that way without some yappy assed mutt halfway into the driveway. What the fuck anyway?!?

I am thankful that I still got a job and thankful that I got good co workers but somedays I would rather not be bothered with such petty shit of not fully filling out part cards on jobs. GD Steve was on my buttons about that today, finally I filled them out fully, snapped "happy now? now leave me the fuck alone" and went back to reading Twitter and getting depressed on the latest adventures of the propaganda channel FOX News and the antics of Rush and Sean Hannrity. And the less said the better about those two RWNJ Shock Jocks. I'm sure my girlfriend worries and wonders about myself at times but even after a while of crappy printers, bitching seniors and my own indifference, she tried to cheer my poor sorry ass up but in the end, I said I had enough of Twitter fun and signed off.

Love isn't easy, yes I know that. Had 30 years of total failure, Dear John notes, cheated upon, fucked over and almost seen my credit report go down the shitter. Basically it is hard for me to really open and truly express myself to the way my other half would like me to do. True, I rant and rave but there comes a point that I get so damn pissed at life and so angry that I go into automatic silence and don't come out of it for a few days. Can't tell you what I am feeling now, cuz I don't have that feeling to show. Sometimes a weekend of silence and a good long Blogbitch will do wonders. But I get tired of dealing with the shit we call life (i.e. dumbfuck drivers, idiot neighbors who don't watch their animals, long red lights that enabled us to meet that speeding textmessenger listening to Rush Asshole) and sometimes I take five and close up shop and go drive to the record stores in Dubuque/IC/Madison and be happy for that short amount of time.

I don't know what this year is going to bring. In one year I'll be fifty and will retire from the CD bargain hunts that I do now. I found more than I ever bargained for and I'm certain I'll find a few more classics before I hit 50. For the first time in this life, I have managed to find that special woman that continues to let me be for who I am and God bless her, I love her to death. She figures greatly into what I do this year and where we go for bargains. Certainly would love to take her out to the desert and the places that I love to go when I want to get away from it all. But it all depends on the situation out there and the timing and cheap air fares if there's such a thing.

If this year is going to be the best, it is failing so far, with the Haiti earthquake and starting out with another cold, just like last year and the year before that (although the Haiti quake was this year). But in the meantime, I'll continue to do the things I like to do and with the one that matters most to me. But I can't promise anymore than one day at a time and I'll take life at that proposition.

And if those damn neighbors still can't control their puppy dog barking, I'm sure there'll be war and another phone call to the deputy just in case that happens.

So it goes.