Thursday, December 31, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Last One For 2009

Top Ten Of The Week and the last one for this decade

This is it ladies and gentlemen.  The last top ten of this decade.  I wish to thank everybody who has read and made comments over the past four years and seven years all told from various websites that are now gone and forgotten.  I want to thank Donna aka Brooksie for her contributions and even though she no longer posts much here she is still remembered fondly for her generous comments and music selections.

Thanks be to Mark Prindle and TAD for their input and encouragement.  TAD has a very good memory of the years of great FM undergound radio and his song selections sometimes have made it their way to this top ten. 

Thanks for all the MY SPACE Bands who become friends, espeically Liz Chaffe and her band Lizzy Williams and the son that I never had but love of music reminds me he could have well have been, the one n only Diggy Kat.

Thanks to Margaret from the Brains Tribute page for reminding me how great The Brains still are and we both still POed that Universal refuses to reissue The Brains albums on CD.
Damn it Andy McKaie, I'm sure if SONY music had their albums they would have been reissued by now and the world DOES NOT need yet another remastered reissues of Motley Crud.

Thank you friends of Mingles who came over when My Space was in their hayday, all of you have moved on and I don't really hang out at Mingles all that much.  And Starfire, it isn't Obama that's the cause of the problems that we have faced now but rather a screwed up government that can't control their spending.  I don't talk politics but I do know that I cannot stand lying Republcants who don't seem to get it that Obama was elected by the masses.  We still luv ya Starfire but me thinks you listen to too much Rush and Beck and I don't mean the bands.

And finally a big thank you to Sassy for 9 years of being a good friend, meeting in St Louis in 2000 and keeping in touch to become more than just a good friend but the missing piece in my life that was found this September.  If I can spend New Years Eve with just one person after the clock strikes midnight, I couldn't picked a better person to spend it with than you.

And now what has been the one constant, the Top Ten Of The Week.

1.  FM (No Static At All)-Steely Dan 1978  From the flop movie of the same name that came out 31 years ago, the FM S/T was basically songs from the likes of The Eagles, James Taylor and Linda Ronstandt and anybody was under contract to Irving Azloff.  It's a shame they never did include this song on Aja or Gaucho.  One of the more funkier songs that they ever put out.

2.  Commotion-CCR 1969  I believe I played this song a lot more on 45 than Down On The Corner but ya know this rocked pretty hard even for Fogerty and company.

3.  The Great Sun Jester-Blue Oyster Cult 1979  When BOC played this song at the 5 Seasons Center, this wasn't out on album but when they played it, they rocked big time.  When it finally came out on the Mirrors album, it sounded too damn polished for anybody's liking and I still think had they had Sandy Pearlman behind the controls, this would have been more dirtier sounding.  I guess they didn't care much for this song for they never did play it live in the five times that I have seen BOC over the years.  Co written with Mike Moorcock, who wrote some Sci Fi stuff for Hawkwind beforehand.

4.  Dance This Dance With Me-The Turtles 1969  From the Ray Davies produced Turtle Soup, this lesser known song had John Seiter singing lead instead of Flo and Eddie and it's kind of a moodier number than Happy Together.  Sometimes The Turtles never seen to get their due in terms of making some of the finer music of the 60s.  Side note: Seiter was the the drummer for Spanky And Our Gang and replaced John Barbata who moved on to Crosby, Stills & Nash (more about them later)

5.  Last Dance-The Raspberries 1973  Capitol screwed them over in the CD era, they put out The Capitol Collector's Series which include a  lot of their rocking numbers but later editions had more ballads and strictly stuck with their hits but this Wally Bryson number is a cross between country and power pop.  I tend to favor The Raspberries over Big Star in terms of Pop music of the 70s simply of the fact that when they put their mind to it, The Raspberries could rock hard.  Which is the point.

6.  Military Madness-Crosby, Stils, Nash & Young 2008 Taken from the Deja Vu Live album that came out late last year, this was originally on Graham Nash's Songs For Beginners.  I saw CSN on the RnR HOF concert on HBO and although they still have the harmonies, Steve Stills just cannot sing anymore.  Guess it's too late to get back to that garden after all eh?

7.  Smile-Uncle Kracker 2009  Basically this one has Sassy's name all over it. She sez this song reminds her of me for what reason only she knows but the video has her grandparent's town of Hale, Michigan and it's somewhat like Iowas.  Snows all the damn time there in the winter.  Crabby loves ya but I'll be dammed if I'm going to stick any Backstreet Boys or N'Sync on this list anytime soon.

8.  Remember Me I'm Gone-Motorhead 1982  This was the B Side to Iron Fist and didn't make the vinyl album of said name but Roadrunner Records did tack this on as a bonus track in the early 90s.  Back when Roadrunner Records was Roadracer and actually cared more about heavy metal insted of being corporate pigs and giving us watered down real metal (although I'll grant them some points due to Black Stone Cherry).

9.  What's On My Mind-Kansas 1976  This was released as a 45 but didn't break as Carry On Wayward Son did and classic rock radio rarely touches this song. Wasn't much into Kansas in my early years but later on I tend to pull out Leftoverture from time to time and yes, Monolith.

10.  Seven Turns-The Allman Brothers Band 1990 And finally, we come to end of the road and we look back on four years of Crabb at My Space with fondness.   I thought at some way The Crabb Top Ten would become so much bigger but the glory years of My Space are now gone and all we have left is equal to a town that was on Route 66 and then got bypassed by the interstate.  Sure we get some traffic from time to time but I think the majority  moved on to Facebook or Twitter or just gave up on new music all told.  Yeh, this song came out just about twenty years ago but I heard it for the first time this year and call it a lost classic and thought this would be a fitting finale to end the year.  The final hoorah for Dicky Betts it seems but it did pave the way for the world to be introduced to his replacement Warren Haynes.

And there you have it folks.  The Crabb Top Ten and the final one for this year.  I only wish we could have had more participation but we did the best we could and it's time to move on.  Thanks so much for your readership, and I will return somewhere, some other time.

Final song: Birds by Dan Fogelberg....It's over, it's over.