Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Top Ten Of The Week-Winter Sucks

It's pretty bad when I get stuck in my own driveway.  It's icy as hell, my brother has got way too many cars in the damn way here and I can't manuever the Crown Victoria worth a fuck in this damn ice rink I call a driveway.  And it puts me in a real bad mood.  Stuck in our own driveway, WTMF?


When they induct ABBA in the rock n roll hall of fame it becomes a joke.  I can see Genesis, I can see Jimmy Cliff, I can see The Hollies and The Stooges but I guess Jann Wanner would rather see ABBA make it there than KISS.  But it's pretty fucking bad when The Moody Blues isn't in there, nor Rush, Nor______________.  ABBA?!?  They're MOR Pop for fuck's sakes!.

Next week I hope to be in the Holiday spirit although I doubt it.  But my sidekick and contributor Nicole will host the annual Christmas top ten list.  She submitted 20 songs to the fray, we'll edited it down to a chosen ten.  Usually the rule of thumb is that 10 is the limit, anything more and people get put to sleep.

This week's songs of note:

1.   Stranded-Manfred Mann Earth Band 1980  I guess ole Manfred got stuck in Iowa from what the song starts out.  Which is why this album charted pretty high around here, it mentioned Iowa.  Stuck in my own driveway, watta bunch of.............

2.  In Walked Bud-Theolonious Monk 1958  Robert Christgau spoke so highly of this track that I decided to pull it out and listen to it sunday night and found that Johnny Griffin could have been the best sax player, best suited to the style of Mr. Monk.  That's saying a lot.  Christgau also says that there's too much Riverside product from Monk but he had Monk's Music, Brilliant Corners and Mysterioso, and Solo Monk.  Never heard the Town Hall Concert but from what i heard of, The Riverside years remains his best.

3.  Cars Hiss By My Window-The Doors 1971  Played on KUNI the other night, this is a slow burning blues to which John Morrison does some freaky wails at the end of this song.  Guess he was pretty stoned too.

4.  Kind Of A Girl-Tilted Windows 2009  I'm not very thrilled of the music of this year, particularly of what the mags tout as the best but I'll go with this mini super group of Cheap Trick, Fountains Of Wayne, Smashing Pumpkins and Zack Hanson!  I'm still working on the best of 2009 album wise and finding it's taking a bit more work than expected.

5.  The Loner-Stephen Stills 1976  This actually got played on the old Q103 back in the day, long before my smarter half was born.  This is a more rocking cover of the Neil Young chestnut and I'm sure Mr. Young will make a presence on the top ten before I go to bed.  Stills' Columbia period while uneven did pull out some good songs.  One can't live on Love The One Your With all the time.

6.  Tonight Tonight Tonight-Genesis 1986  Speaking of which, the new HOF inductees show up with a top 30 hit from the overly commerical Invisible Touch album to which I'm still waiting what TAD thought about that record.  He didn't care much for Duke, the 1980 album that started gave Genesis a second chance.  Never liked Duke all that much either come to think of it.

7.  Sample And Hold-Neil Young 1982  To which Neil Young beat Kanye West, Lil Wayne and many more others of this shitty decade in Autotuning but at that time he used a vicorder and it gave him a voice this side of Pete Drake and Kraftwerk.  While ppl continue to bitch about Trans being a pile of crap, I actually still think it was a breath of fresh air when he did Trans and still like it very much today.  Actually got to see Neil Young do his Trans concert on USA back around 1982 with Nils Lofsgren, Bruce Palmer and Ralph Molina and it kinda funny to see Neil and Nils chase each other around the stage talking computerese.

8.  Journal For Plague Lovers-Manic Street Preachers 2009  Title track from the Manic's latest album and featuring words by Richey James who vanished into thin air about 14 years ago.  Their new album is very good and may make my 10 best of the year but I sense that the melody of this song recalls Spirit Of The Radio and Limelight from Rush. Somebody in that band listens to Rush.

9.  See The Light-Green Day 2009  I didn't care much for their lastest album, it sounds like American Idiot Part 2 and the production was overblown half the time but I do like this finale off 21st Century Breakdown.

10. Sleigh Ride-Davie Allen & The Arrows 2007  I don't listen to christmas music all that much and the only two albums that I heard was Rotary Connection's Peace and Fuzz For The Holidays, the latest Christmas offering from the dood who gave us Blue's Theme way back in 1966.  I plan on pulling out The Ventures' Christmas Album before the 25th but this version from Mr Allen is borderline avant garde and very noisy and I don't think the old ladies on day shift would enjoy hearing this song.  I remember a long time ago putting together a Christmas music mix tape with songs from Bob Marley, Foghat and the Dance Hall Crashers and the only song they wanted to hear was The Singing Dogs' Jingle Bells.   Today, ppl get annoyed when they hear the Singing Dogs but you have to admit that it took a lotta takes to get that right and I do smile a bit when I do hear that.  Let's face it, we're going get stuck hearing Jingle Bell Rock or Rocking Around The Christmas Tree twice every half hour.  I rather much perfer a little fuzz for my holidays.  Such as from Davie Allen.

....
Stuck in my own fucking driveway.....*sigh*.